Bandwidth/data logging/recording?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm looking for a proggy that will let me know how much I'm downloading
    through my modem. I'm considering changing to 'broadband' (probably wishful
    thinking but hey) and am interested to know how many MB per month I'm
    currently using so can make an informed decision.

    Anyone know of such a proggy and where I can get it?

    I'm using Win XP.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    tim Guest

    DU Meter is pretty good... 30day shareware (serial registration)

    unobtrusive and aestetically (sp?) pleasing, has a logging facility, data is
    saved in cvs format so you can use it for your own reporting needs. The gui
    lets you see how daily, weekly, monthly, and projected traffic volumes...

    hope it helps

    tim, Aug 28, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:45:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a proggy that will let me know how much I'm downloading
    >through my modem. I'm considering changing to 'broadband' (probably wishful
    >thinking but hey) and am interested to know how many MB per month I'm
    >currently using so can make an informed decision.
    >
    >Anyone know of such a proggy and where I can get it?
    >
    >I'm using Win XP.
    >
    >Cheers,

    DU Meter
    Analog X Netstat Live

    The former is better, but it's commercial.

    Craig Shore, Aug 28, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:45:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking for a proggy that will let me know how much I'm downloading
    > >through my modem. I'm considering changing to 'broadband' (probably

    wishful
    > >thinking but hey) and am interested to know how many MB per month I'm
    > >currently using so can make an informed decision.
    > >
    > >Anyone know of such a proggy and where I can get it?
    > >
    > >I'm using Win XP.
    > >
    > >Cheers,

    > DU Meter
    > Analog X Netstat Live
    >
    > The former is better, but it's commercial.

    Thanks, trying NetStat Live at the moment, it seems like it will do what I
    want. Funny though, I'm on a 56k modem and for 'Max' on incoming it has
    25.0KB (current has hovered around 5.2KB downloading a song with Kazaa).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "tim" <> wrote in message
    > DU Meter is pretty good... 30day shareware (serial registration)
    >
    > unobtrusive and aestetically (sp?) pleasing, has a logging facility, data

    is
    > saved in cvs format so you can use it for your own reporting needs. The

    gui
    > lets you see how daily, weekly, monthly, and projected traffic volumes...
    >
    > hope it helps

    Thanks, if NetStat Live doesn't do the trick I may give it a try (for the
    trial period).
    --
    ~misfit~

    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking for a proggy that will let me know how much I'm downloading
    > > through my modem. I'm considering changing to 'broadband' (probably

    > wishful
    > > thinking but hey) and am interested to know how many MB per month I'm
    > > currently using so can make an informed decision.
    > >
    > > Anyone know of such a proggy and where I can get it?
    > >
    > > I'm using Win XP.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    tim Guest

    just install both...

    tim, Aug 28, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    Max Burke Guest

    > ~misfit~ scribbled:
    > I'm looking for a proggy that will let me know how much I'm
    > downloading through my modem. I'm considering changing to 'broadband'
    > (probably wishful thinking but hey) and am interested to know how
    > many MB per month I'm currently using so can make an informed
    > decision.

    > Anyone know of such a proggy and where I can get it?
    > I'm using Win XP.

    Have a look at this freeware program:

    http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_features.html

    TICK (previously called TICK98) is probably the ultimate freeware
    dial up enhancer for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP or Millennium-Me. Logs
    all dial up networking calls including length and cost of call and the
    amount of data transferred. Uses no runtime files and has POP3 mail
    checker, finger, ping, web notify tools, popup digital display, password
    database, IP Address finder, context sensitive help and lots more.

    General Features

    a.. Automatically detects internet connection.
    b.. Transmit and receive lights.
    c.. No run-time files needed.
    d.. IP Address finder.
    e.. Context sensitive help.
    f.. Install / Uninstall support.
    g.. *No* nag screens.
    h.. *No* restricted features.
    i.. *No* Spyware or Adware.
    j.. *No* expiry date.

    TICK is free to use subject to conditions given in the license

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Aug 28, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
    > > ~misfit~ scribbled:
    > > I'm looking for a proggy that will let me know how much I'm
    > > downloading through my modem. I'm considering changing to 'broadband'
    > > (probably wishful thinking but hey) and am interested to know how
    > > many MB per month I'm currently using so can make an informed
    > > decision.

    > > Anyone know of such a proggy and where I can get it?
    > > I'm using Win XP.

    > Have a look at this freeware program:
    >
    > http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_features.html
    >
    > TICK (previously called TICK98) is probably the ultimate freeware
    > dial up enhancer for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP or Millennium-Me. Logs
    > all dial up networking calls including length and cost of call and the
    > amount of data transferred. Uses no runtime files and has POP3 mail
    > checker, finger, ping, web notify tools, popup digital display, password
    > database, IP Address finder, context sensitive help and lots more.
    >
    > General Features
    >
    > a.. Automatically detects internet connection.
    > b.. Transmit and receive lights.
    > c.. No run-time files needed.
    > d.. IP Address finder.
    > e.. Context sensitive help.
    > f.. Install / Uninstall support.
    > g.. *No* nag screens.
    > h.. *No* restricted features.
    > i.. *No* Spyware or Adware.
    > j.. *No* expiry date.
    >
    > TICK is free to use subject to conditions given in the license

    Thanks, downloading now.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "tim" <> wrote in message
    > just install both...

    I hate trying shareware. I can't afford to buy software at the moment and if
    I find something I really like it annoys me to have to give it up after a
    set period.

    NetStat Live is proving a little problematic though. I have a machine that
    runs the modem and shares it on my LAN. I configured NSL to log the
    modem/ISP IP only but on re-boot it defaults to all TCP/IP connections.
    That's a problem as the modem machine also hosts my mp3 collection that are
    played through the LAN on another machine. Plus I guess anything accessed
    from the modem connection by another machine would be counted twice, once
    incoming and once outgoing through the NIC.

    It will prove to be a hassle I fear to have to keep resetting it. If I was
    always connected and the machine was always on it would be OK though. I
    guess it's mainly designed for machines that aren't on a LAN.

    Unless someone can show me how to set it up to only monitor a certain IP
    from boot-up?
    --
    ~misfit~

    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "tim" <> wrote in message
    > > > DU Meter is pretty good... 30day shareware (serial registration)
    > > >
    > > > unobtrusive and aestetically (sp?) pleasing, has a logging facility,

    > data
    > > is
    > > > saved in cvs format so you can use it for your own reporting needs.

    The
    > > gui
    > > > lets you see how daily, weekly, monthly, and projected traffic

    > volumes...
    > > >
    > > > hope it helps

    > > Thanks, if NetStat Live doesn't do the trick I may give it a try (for

    the
    > > trial period).
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > > > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    > downloading
    > > > wishful

    I'm

    > > ---

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  10. ~misfit~

    tim Guest

    shareware/piracy moral issues, lol...

    tim, Aug 28, 2003
  11. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:17:56 +1200, "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz>
    wrote:

    >"tim" <> wrote in message
    >> DU Meter is pretty good... 30day shareware (serial registration)
    >>
    >> unobtrusive and aestetically (sp?) pleasing, has a logging facility, data

    >is
    >> saved in cvs format so you can use it for your own reporting needs. The

    >gui
    >> lets you see how daily, weekly, monthly, and projected traffic volumes...
    >>
    >> hope it helps

    >Thanks, if NetStat Live doesn't do the trick I may give it a try (for the
    >trial period).

    Its FREE..

    Robert Kramer, Aug 28, 2003