    the speed through wireless and have found nothing. Anyone ever had this
    problem?

    Robert
    Robert, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Hi
    Thats the way Wireless is, there is a lot of overhead taken by the system as
    well as slowing bandwidth due to distance electrical noise and signal
    obstructions.
    However if you want to make sure measure the rate of transfer files between
    the Wire and the Wireless computers. Internet download is Not the way to
    evaluate LAN performance.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 12, 2007

  3. Robert

    Guest

    Jack - you're saying the OP can only hope to get 1.8mb on his wireless
    connection ?? I'd think that his 54mbps wireless network should be
    able to give him the same throughput as his LAN connection.

    GS

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:40:23 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Thats the way Wireless is, there is a lot of overhead taken by the system as
    >well as slowing bandwidth due to distance electrical noise and signal
    >obstructions.
    >However if you want to make sure measure the rate of transfer files between
    >the Wire and the Wireless computers. Internet download is Not the way to
    >evaluate LAN performance.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Robert" <> wrote in message
    >> Both of my latops in my house have a 802.11g wireless card (one built in,
    >> other pcmcia card). Whenever I do a bandwidth test at a good site like
    >> speakeasy.net, the fastest download speed I get is 1.8mb. If I use a LAN
    >> cable, its between 5 and 6 which is about right for the plan I have
    >> through cox. I looked through my router for some kind of setting that is
    >> preventing the speed through wireless and have found nothing. Anyone ever
    >> had this problem?
    >>
    >> Robert

    , Sep 24, 2007