BAN: Photography on USA trains and buses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Anastasia Orfanos, May 24, 2004.

  1. Anastasia Orfanos, May 24, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    "Anastasia Orfanos" <> wrote:

    > http://1010wins.com/topstories/winstopstories_story_141171549.html

    So much for your BS post, If you actually read it, Its proposed that means people can
    protest the propsal. The proposal meerly states that you have to obtain permission
    or have valid press credentials before photographing. I am actually surprised this
    has taken so long to come about. And would have been surprised if I could photograph
    undisturbed to date.
    Any Moose Poster, May 24, 2004

  3. Anastasia Orfanos

    YoYo Guest

    Re: Photography on USA trains and buses

    I know it sucks!!!!!!!!!!

    Free to be controlled maybe?? & Free to F__K with business.

    YoYo, May 24, 2004
  4. Anastasia Orfanos

    TP Guest

    "Gordon Hudson" <> wrote:

    >Over here (UK) it is generally considered anti social to take photographs in
    >public.

    Complete and utter nonsense.

    There is probably a greater tolerance of photography
    in public in the UK than in most other countries.
    TP, May 24, 2004
  5. Anastasia Orfanos

    Mick Sterbs Guest

    "TP" <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon Hudson" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Over here (UK) it is generally considered anti social to take photographs

    in
    > >public.

    > Complete and utter nonsense.
    >
    > There is probably a greater tolerance of photography
    > in public in the UK than in most other countries.

    Agree with you. I've never ever felt any negative vibes whatsoever, wherever
    I've been with my camera, and I am rarely without it. Indeed, photography
    seems to be getting more and more popular here, with more and more cameras
    in evidence. Though I DO wonder why people bother taking pictures of the
    lions at the zoo with their mobile phones!! When we visited Marwell Zoo
    quite recently I must have seen at least 6 examples of the practice.
    Mick Sterbs, May 24, 2004
  6. Anastasia Orfanos

    Charlie Self Guest

    Any Moose notes:

    > much for your BS post, If you actually read it, Its proposed that means
    >people can
    >protest the propsal. The proposal meerly states that you have to obtain
    >permission
    >or have valid press credentials before photographing. I am actually surprised
    >this
    >has taken so long to come about. And would have been surprised if I could
    >photograph
    >undisturbed to date.

    Well, as they said: "The photo and video ban had been part of the rules on
    ridership until 10 years ago, when it was removed, NYC Transit spokesman
    Charles Seaton said."

    Part of the ban would include:

    "NYC Transit also proposed banning passengers from using end doors to move from
    one subway car to another, putting feet up on seats and standing on skateboards
    on subways or buses, among other changes."

    And none of this translates to "The Americans...". NYC is large, but it is not
    the entire country by a long shot. There are about 300 million more people
    spread out some 3000 miles to the west and 800 or more miles north, and about
    1500 south.

    So the OP was really full of crap.

    Charlie Self
    "Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
    Devil's Dictionary
    Charlie Self, May 24, 2004
  7. Anastasia Orfanos

    Guest

    Anastasia Orfanos wrote:

    >The Americans are going to ban the use of cameras and camcorders on trains
    >and buses.
    >
    >So much for the "land of the free".
    >
    >http://1010wins.com/topstories/winstopstories_story_141171549.html

    Oh BFD. You're right to photograph me will be curtailed. What about
    my right not to be photographed unless I choose?

    There's always two sides to a story.
    , May 24, 2004
  8. In article <>, Any
    Moose Poster <Bullwinks@bullwinkle&rockie.net> wrote:

    > So much for your BS post, If you actually read it, Its proposed that means
    > people can
    > protest the propsal. The proposal meerly states that you have to obtain
    > permission
    > or have valid press credentials before photographing. I am actually surprised
    > this
    > has taken so long to come about. And would have been surprised if I could
    > photograph
    > undisturbed to date.

    Each one of these so-called security measures is a win for the
    terrorists.. We've done far more damage ourselves since 9/11 than the
    enemy did. The correct proceedure is not to make our country a police
    state; the enemy will get in a shot from time to time regardless of
    what we do. Rather, make a smoking hole of each terrorists
    home/city/country of origin. Eventually they'll get the idea and/or
    we'll run out of terrorists. (Or non-radioactive middle east real
    estate)
    Scott Schuckert, May 24, 2004
  9. Anastasia Orfanos

    jjs Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Oh BFD. You're right to photograph me will be curtailed. What about
    > my right not to be photographed unless I choose?

    Depends on what part of the world you live in, but IMHO as long as you are
    in a public place, you have no particular right not to be photographed.

    It's going to be harder and harder to avoid now that the digital camera is
    becoming ubiquitous.
    jjs, May 24, 2004
  10. Anastasia Orfanos

    jjs Guest

    In article <240520040915291686%>, Scott Schuckert
    <> wrote:

    > [...]
    > The correct proceedure is not to make our country a police
    > state; [....]
    > Rather, make a smoking hole of each terrorists
    > home/city/country of origin. [...]

    Okay, let's start with Pendleton, New York.
    jjs, May 24, 2004
  11. Anastasia Orfanos

    TP Guest

    "Mick Sterbs" <> wrote:

    >Agree with you. I've never ever felt any negative vibes whatsoever, wherever
    >I've been with my camera, and I am rarely without it. Indeed, photography
    >seems to be getting more and more popular here, with more and more cameras
    >in evidence.

    Absolutely.

    Anyone who wants to see how anti-photography other countries are
    should travel to France and behave exactly as they would in the UK.
    The reactions of other people - and the authorities - towards street
    photographers are startlingly different to those in the UK.

    >Though I DO wonder why people bother taking pictures of the
    >lions at the zoo with their mobile phones!! When we visited Marwell Zoo
    >quite recently I must have seen at least 6 examples of the practice.

    Why? Because they can!

    ;-)
    TP, May 24, 2004
  12. Re: Photography on USA trains and buses

    Gordon Hudson wrote:
    > "Anastasia Orfanos" <> wrote in message
    >> The Americans are going to ban the use of cameras and camcorders on
    >> trains and buses.

    As I understand it, it applies to stations not the actual trains or
    busses.

    I also understand that you may get permission easily by showing proper
    ID.

    > Over here (UK) it is generally considered anti social to take
    > photographs in public.

    Not from my experience.

    > Most privately owned public places (like shopping malls) do not permit
    > photography.

    I believe you will find that is more a matter of protecting the stores
    from the competitors than anything else. Back 30 years ago when I worked in
    retail, I was on both sides of those rules.

    > You are not permitted to take photographs, in or near school property.
    > School children are not allowed cameras on the premises (including
    > mobile phones containing cameras).

    Is that surprising? How much of an inconvenience is that? I'll bet
    parents could get permission in most cases.

    > Lets face it, the UK is gradually becoming the new stalinist state.

    Again, not in my experience.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, May 24, 2004
  13. Anastasia Orfanos

    Stacey Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:

    > Each one of these so-called security measures is a win for the
    > terrorists.. We've done far more damage ourselves since 9/11 than the
    > enemy did.

    Yep they won as soon as we started reacting to the disaster. Most of these
    "homeland security" measures just take away our freedom and seems to assume
    everyone is a terrorist. We leave the borders WIDE OPEN yet enact insame
    measures like this? It seems anything is OK, as far as taking away our
    personal freedom, as long as it doesn't cost the government any money.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, May 24, 2004
  14. Anastasia Orfanos

    Robert Polk Guest

    Re: Photography on USA trains and buses

    As of next Monday this area (Brunswick, GA) will be considered as under a
    State of Emergency because of the upcoming G-8 conference. Got ID'd taking
    pictures downtown a couple of weeks ago.
    Bob

    Robert Polk, May 24, 2004
  15. Anastasia Orfanos

    Jackie Guest

    Re: Photography on USA trains and buses

    The USA is definitely going down the tube!!!

    Pathetic

    Paranoid

    Jackie

    Jackie, May 24, 2004
  16. Anastasia Orfanos

    david.mccall Guest

    "Jackie" <> wrote in message
    > The USA is definitely going down the tube!!!
    >
    > Pathetic
    >
    > Paranoid
    >
    > Jackie

    Unfortunately it's the RIGHT tube.

    David
    david.mccall, May 24, 2004
  17. Anastasia Orfanos

    RSD99 Guest

    Re: Photography on USA trains and buses

    HeHeHeHeHe ...

    First:
    This "applies" only to "NYC Transit" ... the Political Bureaucracy that runs the public
    transportation in the City of New York. That's a LONG way from *all* "USA trains and
    busses"

    See the phrase
    "NYC Transit, the division of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority that runs the
    subways, the buses and the Staten Island Railway, ..."
    in the referenced URL.

    Second:
    At the present, it is just a "proposed" rule/law.

    Third:
    Also note the passage "... NYC Transit also proposed banning passengers from using end
    doors to move from one subway car to another, putting feet up on seats and standing on
    skateboards on subways or buses, among other changes. ..."

    Yeah ... Sure ...
    RSD99, May 24, 2004
  18. <> wrote in message

    > Oh BFD. You're right to photograph me will be curtailed. What about
    > my right not to be photographed unless I choose?

    --------

    What right NOT to be photographed? If you are in a public place it don't
    exist!

    Are you are absolutely and totally ignorant of the fact that you are
    probably photographed by security cameras throughout your day - hundreds of
    times a day - and you just don't know it.

    So, it's OK to photograph you as long as you don't actually see the camera?
    Or as long as it's only within the control of faceless and nameless
    government and commercial hands? BFD eh?

    IDIOT!!!

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, May 24, 2004
  19. Anastasia Orfanos

    Charlie Self Guest

    Re: Photography on USA trains and buses

    Joseph Meehan responds:

    >> You are not permitted to take photographs, in or near school property.
    >> School children are not allowed cameras on the premises (including
    >> mobile phones containing cameras).
    >>

    > Is that surprising? How much of an inconvenience is that? I'll bet
    >parents could get permission in most cases.

    >> Lets face it, the UK is gradually becoming the new stalinist state.

    > Again, not in my experience.

    Yeah, well...and the guy who posted the Stalinist nonsense obviously doesn't
    have a hint of a clue as to what Stalinism was, nor how evil and pervasive it
    was. Forbidding taking a few photos of children is not any kind of an indicator
    of nighttime visits and disappearances and genuine terror that kept people
    pounded down for decades. This man murdered more than 30 million of his fellow
    citizens, for God's sake.

    Charlie Self, May 24, 2004
  20. Anastasia Orfanos

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Anastasia Orfanos) wrote in

    > The Americans are going to ban the use of cameras and camcorders on
    > trains and buses.

    You confuse New York and New Yorkers with all of America and all
    Americans.

    Besides, when did it become legal to take photographs in the NY
    subway in the first place?

    When I lived in that part of the world back in the 1970s, it was
    illegal already.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, May 24, 2004