Ballmer's Baloney

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Mike Dee of Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:39 :

    > OpenOffice.org 1.1 Final *rocks* - MS, if it isn't worried, should be...

    Yes, OOo has some useful features;
    - export to pdf
    - python macros
    - regular expressions

    nice

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Peter

    Warwick Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 07:51:43 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >this quote is from Mike Dee of Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:39 :
    >>
    >> OpenOffice.org 1.1 Final *rocks* - MS, if it isn't worried, should be...

    >Yes, OOo has some useful features;
    >- export to pdf
    >- python macros
    >- regular expressions
    >
    >nice
    >

    >Peter

    You can use Python as a scripting language withing open office?
    Like you can use VB in MS?
    Sorry if this seems stupid, but I am interested.

    best
    Warwick
    Warwick, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Peter

    Mike Dee Guest

    Warwick <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 07:51:43 +1300, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>this quote is from Mike Dee of Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:39 :
    >>>
    >>> OpenOffice.org 1.1 Final *rocks* - MS, if it isn't worried, should
    >>> be...

    >>Yes, OOo has some useful features;
    >>- export to pdf
    >>- python macros
    >>- regular expressions
    >>
    >>nice
    >>

    >>Peter

    > You can use Python as a scripting language withing open office?
    > Like you can use VB in MS?
    > Sorry if this seems stupid, but I am interested.

    Programing and Automation:

    * Macro Recorder
    * Crash reporter for collecting crash dump and error information
    * Integrated Python-UNO bridge allowing creation of UNO components in
    Python
    * A new java to native UNO bridge with up to 10 times better performance.
    * Detection of a misconfigured Java installation.
    * OpenOffice.org ActiveX Control (Windows only).
    * Additional property pages for OpenOffice.org file types in Windows
    Explorer.

    For a list of features:
    <http://download.services.openoffice.org/ooo/dev_docs/features/1.1/index.ht
    ml>
    Mike Dee, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Warwick of Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:42 :
    > You can use Python as a scripting language withing open office?
    > Like you can use VB in MS?

    The main language for user defined stuff in OpenOffice is basic. Yes, this
    is quite like the VBA in MS Office (and no OOo didn't copy off MS, the
    basic language predates both).
    There is a good guide on OOo basic here ...
    http://docs-pdf.sun.com/817-1826-10/817-1826-10.pdf

    OOo can also take programme modules written in c++ and python.

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Peter

    harry Guest

    "dOTdASH" <> wrote in message
    Yes it's "free" but
    > that's because it's inferior with regard to features and innovation.

    The developers prefer tools to features, they have left plenty of hooks for
    others to hang features on, like scripting extensions and databases

    > It's a great tool for some people

    Thats the whole point of it

    > but MS are more worried about their real
    > competitor, Office 97

    It certainly makes more sense for millions who are still getting good use
    out of 1st generation Pentiums and 98SE
    I give salvage machines away to friends and relatives. The cost of a PC
    complete with XP and Office 2003 is 10X what they can afford for no extra
    function.
    harry, Oct 26, 2003