    available until the second quarter of 2007. ""

    <Humming> slip sliding away.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 4, 2006

  2. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/24/ballmer_vista_delay/
    >
    > "" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
    > substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
    > available until the second quarter of 2007. ""
    >

    > <Humming> slip sliding away.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    The keyword "widely" makes me think.

    They would have written "Vista will not be available until the second
    quarter", but it looks like they want to have a way out. If Vista is
    released in Februar 2007, they can say something like "Oh, we didn't say
    'not availabe', but 'widely available', meaning distributed through new PCs
    and laptops"...

    One can't trust everything you read from analysts and consultants...

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Jun 4, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    TKKGHCMT Guest

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/24/ballmer_vista_delay/
    >
    > "" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
    > substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
    > available until the second quarter of 2007. ""
    >

    > <Humming> slip sliding away.

    Remember this?

    Microsoft customers balk at license changes
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-273276.html
    Cold shoulder for Microsoft plan http://news.com.com/2100-1001-947164.html

    "For the majority of businesses, which upgrade software every three to six
    years, Software Assurance works out to a hefty price increase, as there is
    no certainty that Microsoft will deliver a product during the contract
    period."

    "The reason for stiff customer resistance is simple: cost. The plan, called
    Licensing 6, effectively raises volume-licensing fees from 33 percent to 107
    percent, according to market researcher Gartner. Microsoft also eliminated
    the most popular means of buying upgrades, which allowed companies to pay
    when they wanted new software, rather than spend money in advance for
    software upgrades."

    "So if customer resistance is stiff now, it could be much worse in two or
    three years if products such as .Net Server--already delayed by a year--or
    Longhorn, ship late."

    "The next time you buy this software, do you believe these guys? Are they
    credible? They've just taken a bunch of money, and they're not giving it
    back. But you got nothing for it."

    TKKGHCMT, Jun 4, 2006
  4. On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 20:23:25 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    >> "" Analyst house Gartner earned Microsoft's ire back in 2003 by predicting
    >> substantial delays. Gartner now predicts Vista will not be widely
    >> available until the second quarter of 2007. ""

    > The keyword "widely" makes me think.
    >
    > They would have written "Vista will not be available until the second
    > quarter", but it looks like they want to have a way out. If Vista is
    > released in Februar 2007, they can say something like "Oh, we didn't say
    > 'not availabe', but 'widely available', meaning distributed through new PCs
    > and laptops"...
    >
    > One can't trust everything you read from analysts and consultants...

    The point being... if something is officially released in, say, Jan 07,
    but only, say, 10 copies were released, and all of them to employees of
    the company that released them, and if people outside of the company was
    only able to get a copy for themselves 5 months later in June 07, then
    sure - it was released in January, but not actually available to the
    general public until June.

    "Widely available" in this context means available to anybody who would
    want it.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 4, 2006
  5. On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:44:50 +1200, TKKGHCMT wrote:

    > "For the majority of businesses, which upgrade software every three to six
    > years, Software Assurance works out to a hefty price increase, as there is
    > no certainty that Microsoft will deliver a product during the contract
    > period."

    Indeed - and it didn't deliver!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 4, 2006