    has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a year by
    charging for "premium" editions. ""

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Vista Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >
    > "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge a
    > premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft has not
    > yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst Rick Sherlund
    > has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a year by
    > charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    Is there really much difference between Microsoft and Telecom NZ in terms of
    their market dominance and attitude.
    Vista, Jun 11, 2006

  3. On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:41:02 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > Is there really much difference between Microsoft and Telecom NZ in terms of
    > their market dominance and attitude.

    Most likely not.

    Also interesting that those two companies went into cahoots over the
    default page for Xtra's website.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    aum Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:41:02 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > Is there really much difference between Microsoft and Telecom NZ in terms of
    > their market dominance and attitude.

    Except you can't download good quality economical broadband connections
    from warez sites - shame that!

    --

    Cheers
    aum
    aum, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Vista wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >>
    >> "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge a
    >> premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft has not
    >> yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst Rick Sherlund
    >> has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a year by
    >> charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    >> forever.
    >> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    >> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    >>

    > Is there really much difference between Microsoft and Telecom NZ in terms of
    > their market dominance and attitude.

    heh, Telecom seem to have market share.. aswell as microsoft
    Most people are with telecom/microsoft because it was the easiest and
    most convenient...

    Would be different though if there were other contenders "back in the day"

    telecom - well they were the only telco
    microsoft - came pre installed with every pc
    Andrew Lambert, Jun 11, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    BrianM Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:29:20 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >
    > "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge a
    > premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft has
    > not yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst Rick
    > Sherlund has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a
    > year by charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    and what was Microsoft's markup on software again?

    --
    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, Jun 11, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:29:20 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >>
    >> "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge a
    >> premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft has
    >> not yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst Rick
    >> Sherlund has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a
    >> year by charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    > and what was Microsoft's markup on software again?

    FTA:

    "Steve Ballmer is blaming software pirates for the premium pricing
    Microsoft charges on products like Office and Windows. But he speculated
    that the advent of web-based services could see a lowering of
    Microsoft's charges."

    Yeah right.

    Same argument was used to justify product activation. PA would reduce
    piracy and allow MS to reduce prices and we'd all be better off. Happy
    happy joy joy...what a deal.

    Look how that turned out - not discernably lower prices, legit users
    having the hassle of PA, and now the instigation of WGA and it's
    restrictions on top of it all.

    It just gets better and better.
    -=rjh=-, Jun 12, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > BrianM wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:29:20 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >>>
    >>> "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge a
    >>> premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft has
    >>> not yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst Rick
    >>> Sherlund has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a
    >>> year by charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >>>

    >>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    >> and what was Microsoft's markup on software again?
    >>

    > FTA:
    >
    > "Steve Ballmer is blaming software pirates for the premium pricing
    > Microsoft charges on products like Office and Windows. But he speculated
    > that the advent of web-based services could see a lowering of
    > Microsoft's charges."
    >
    > Yeah right.

    Some of the price reductions for XP etc, I think have been down to
    people choosing pirated versions over genuine ones....so MS is competing
    with the pirates for its own kit, so we get price reductions......funny
    really.

    It still amuses me though that for Office people whine about its price,
    yet we have a free oOo, low cost Star Office, lowish cost Corel Office?
    Lotus Office? Ami Pro? (are they still around?). They do mostly have a
    choice, but choose not to go for it.

    Games is actually even more of a stitch up....most new stuff needs XP,
    and Halo2 etc "needs" Vista.....yeah right.....can anyone say
    anti-trust.....forcing an upgrade if you want a game.....

    I like the idea of web based services actually, means you can try say
    oOo etc for virtually no cost......

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 12, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    BrianM Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:10:10 +1000, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > BrianM wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:29:20 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >>>
    >>> "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge
    >>> a premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft
    >>> has not yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst
    >>> Rick Sherlund has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional
    >>> $1.5bn a year by charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >>>

    >>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    >> and what was Microsoft's markup on software again?
    >>

    > FTA:
    >
    > "Steve Ballmer is blaming software pirates for the premium pricing
    > Microsoft charges on products like Office and Windows. But he speculated
    > that the advent of web-based services could see a lowering of
    > Microsoft's charges."
    >
    > Yeah right.
    >
    > Same argument was used to justify product activation. PA would reduce
    > piracy and allow MS to reduce prices and we'd all be better off. Happy
    > happy joy joy...what a deal.
    >
    > Look how that turned out - not discernably lower prices, legit users
    > having the hassle of PA, and now the instigation of WGA and it's
    > restrictions on top of it all.
    >
    > It just gets better and better.

    I've just read the Groklaw article on the WGA and I particularly
    like the last two paragraphs:

    "The world is at a crossroads, where for the first time there really is a
    choice. You don't have to accept Microsoft's demeaning and insulting
    EULA terms. If you are a business, do you want Microsoft having free
    access to your computer? If you are a government? I'm just an individual,
    and I don't.

    If you wish to remove the Windows Genuine Advantaage tools, and
    I expect most of you do, why not go the whole hog and remove the
    entire software package, replace it with GNU/Linux, and find out what
    it feels like to be treated with respect and to breathe free?"

    Did anyone think that current/future versions of Microsoft software would
    "not" contain spyware? (if it looks like, feels like, behaves like).
    Personally I don't give a shit because I don't use any of their products,
    and their continuing devious behaviour only drives more users to Mac
    or the Penguin.

    --
    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, Jun 12, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > BrianM wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:29:20 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/28/ballmer_microsoft_prices/
    >>>
    >>> "" Ballmer last year promised Wall Street that Microsoft would charge a
    >>> premium to use certain versions of Windows Vista. While Microsoft has
    >>> not yet announced Windows Vista pricing, Goldman Sachs analyst Rick
    >>> Sherlund has estimated Microsoft could claw in an additional $1.5bn a
    >>> year by charging for "premium" editions. ""
    >>>

    >>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    >> and what was Microsoft's markup on software again?
    >>

    > FTA:
    >
    > "Steve Ballmer is blaming software pirates for the premium pricing
    > Microsoft charges on products like Office and Windows. But he speculated
    > that the advent of web-based services could see a lowering of
    > Microsoft's charges."
    >
    > Yeah right.
    >
    > Same argument was used to justify product activation. PA would reduce
    > piracy and allow MS to reduce prices and we'd all be better off. Happy
    > happy joy joy...what a deal.
    >
    > Look how that turned out - not discernably lower prices, legit users
    > having the hassle of PA, and now the instigation of WGA and it's
    > restrictions on top of it all.

    What restrictions?

    You can't run your pirated copy of Windows? Means nothing to all of us
    running genuine installations.
    SchoolTech, Jun 17, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> BrianM wrote:

    >>> and what was Microsoft's markup on software again?
    >>>

    >> FTA:
    >>
    >> "Steve Ballmer is blaming software pirates for the premium pricing
    >> Microsoft charges on products like Office and Windows. But he
    >> speculated that the advent of web-based services could see a lowering
    >> of Microsoft's charges."
    >>
    >> Yeah right.
    >>
    >> Same argument was used to justify product activation. PA would reduce
    >> piracy and allow MS to reduce prices and we'd all be better off. Happy
    >> happy joy joy...what a deal.
    >>
    >> Look how that turned out - not discernably lower prices, legit users
    >> having the hassle of PA, and now the instigation of WGA and it's
    >> restrictions on top of it all.

    > What restrictions?
    >
    > You can't run your pirated copy of Windows? Means nothing to all of us
    > running genuine installations.

    Maybe you should think before hurling accusations around here.

    Probably restrictions is the wrong word: but "inconvenience" isn't
    strong enough.

    I'm running 100% legal Windows 2000 here, yet everytime I wish to
    download something halfway useful (like any of the PowerToys toys, or
    update .net) I have to jump through hoops before I can get the download.
    Not just once; every time.

    I'm a legal user; this isn't the way we should be treated.

    Maybe you should try downloading something from MS before even
    commenting; I think you'll find it does affect your genuine
    installation, too.
    -=rjh=-, Jun 18, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:

    >>> FTA:
    >>>
    >>> "Steve Ballmer is blaming software pirates for the premium pricing
    >>> Microsoft charges on products like Office and Windows. But he
    >>> speculated that the advent of web-based services could see a lowering
    >>> of Microsoft's charges."
    >>>
    >>> Yeah right.
    >>>
    >>> Same argument was used to justify product activation. PA would reduce
    >>> piracy and allow MS to reduce prices and we'd all be better off.
    >>> Happy happy joy joy...what a deal.
    >>>
    >>> Look how that turned out - not discernably lower prices, legit users
    >>> having the hassle of PA, and now the instigation of WGA and it's
    >>> restrictions on top of it all.

    >> What restrictions?
    >>
    >> You can't run your pirated copy of Windows? Means nothing to all of us
    >> running genuine installations.

    > Maybe you should think before hurling accusations around here.
    >
    > Probably restrictions is the wrong word: but "inconvenience" isn't
    > strong enough.
    >
    > I'm running 100% legal Windows 2000 here, yet everytime I wish to
    > download something halfway useful (like any of the PowerToys toys, or
    > update .net) I have to jump through hoops before I can get the download.
    > Not just once; every time.
    >
    > I'm a legal user; this isn't the way we should be treated.
    >
    > Maybe you should try downloading something from MS before even
    > commenting; I think you'll find it does affect your genuine
    > installation, too.

    We download stuff from MS all the time. It justs ask you to click a
    button and it validates. No big deal.
    SchoolTech, Jun 18, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> SchoolTech wrote:

    >>> What restrictions?
    >>>
    >>> You can't run your pirated copy of Windows? Means nothing to all of
    >>> us running genuine installations.

    >> Maybe you should think before hurling accusations around here.
    >>
    >> Probably restrictions is the wrong word: but "inconvenience" isn't
    >> strong enough.
    >>
    >> I'm running 100% legal Windows 2000 here, yet everytime I wish to
    >> download something halfway useful (like any of the PowerToys toys, or
    >> update .net) I have to jump through hoops before I can get the
    >> download. Not just once; every time.
    >>
    >> I'm a legal user; this isn't the way we should be treated.
    >>
    >> Maybe you should try downloading something from MS before even
    >> commenting; I think you'll find it does affect your genuine
    >> installation, too.

    > We download stuff from MS all the time. It justs ask you to click a
    > button and it validates. No big deal.

    And this justifies your accusations how?

    When I've run into this, I've had to download the validation tool, run
    it, copy and paste the output and get validated that way. For non IE
    users, it is a real inconvenience and definitely not the way legal users
    should be treated.
    -=rjh=-, Jun 18, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    SchoolTech Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:

    >>> Maybe you should think before hurling accusations around here.
    >>>
    >>> Probably restrictions is the wrong word: but "inconvenience" isn't
    >>> strong enough.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running 100% legal Windows 2000 here, yet everytime I wish to
    >>> download something halfway useful (like any of the PowerToys toys, or
    >>> update .net) I have to jump through hoops before I can get the
    >>> download. Not just once; every time.
    >>>
    >>> I'm a legal user; this isn't the way we should be treated.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you should try downloading something from MS before even
    >>> commenting; I think you'll find it does affect your genuine
    >>> installation, too.

    >> We download stuff from MS all the time. It justs ask you to click a
    >> button and it validates. No big deal.

    > And this justifies your accusations how?
    >
    > When I've run into this, I've had to download the validation tool, run
    > it, copy and paste the output and get validated that way. For non IE
    > users, it is a real inconvenience and definitely not the way legal users
    > should be treated.

    Look, if you expect Microsoft's website to work properly, use IE. Don't
    complain when some piece of third party software whose authors won't
    implement any ActiveX functionality on their product for purely
    philosophical anti-Microsoft reasons doesn't work.

    Everyone knows Windows Update, for example, only works with Internet
    Explorer. IE also is the only browser that supports other Windows
    technologies like IWA/NTLM properly.
    SchoolTech, Jun 22, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> SchoolTech wrote:

    >>> We download stuff from MS all the time. It justs ask you to click a
    >>> button and it validates. No big deal.

    >> And this justifies your accusations how?
    >>
    >> When I've run into this, I've had to download the validation tool, run
    >> it, copy and paste the output and get validated that way. For non IE
    >> users, it is a real inconvenience and definitely not the way legal
    >> users should be treated.
    >>

    > Look, if you expect Microsoft's website to work properly, use IE. Don't
    > complain when some piece of third party software whose authors won't
    > implement any ActiveX functionality on their product for purely
    > philosophical anti-Microsoft reasons doesn't work.

    And you don't think licensing issues might have something to do with it?

    > Everyone knows Windows Update, for example, only works with Internet
    > Explorer. IE also is the only browser that supports other Windows
    > technologies like IWA/NTLM properly.

    Hmm, that's weird.

    For some reason, you seem to have moved from my argument (that PA didn't
    lower prices as claimed and that WGA is an unacceptable inconvenience
    for legitimate customers) to discussing the merits of IE, with a quick
    stop for some unfounded personal accusations on the way.

    No wonder I mostly run Linux.
    -=rjh=-, Jun 24, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:12:18 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    >> Look, if you expect Microsoft's website to work properly, use IE. Don't
    >> complain when some piece of third party software whose authors won't
    >> implement any ActiveX functionality on their product for purely
    >> philosophical anti-Microsoft reasons doesn't work.
    >>

    > And you don't think licensing issues might have something to do with it?

    What about prople who view M$'s website from platforms for which M$ has
    not released a version of M$IE?

    If M$'s website can only be properly viewed via M$IE, then doesn't that
    cut out whole sectors of the public?

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 25, 2006