    so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
    it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.

    Kitt

    Kitt, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Kitt

    Beach Bum Guest

    "Kitt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
    > Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
    > ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
    > detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags." I can
    > leave the backpack home, but what's a large bag and how strict are they
    > on the professional cameras with zoom lenses? Does that disqualify my
    > D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large" bag? Any prior experience
    > or feedback? We have a Canon S1 IS which has served well in the past,
    > so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
    > it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.

    Camera restrictions are based on the leaugue. I can take 35mm SLR to NFL
    games, but not to NHL games because the NHL has a rule - no detachable
    lenses. Guess they haven't figured out the golden rule - let your fans
    enjoy themselves. It's why the NFL sets new records every year and the NHL
    almost ceased to exist - very different management styles.

    You can probably find the photography policy on the baseball league website.

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com

    Beach Bum, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Kitt

    Charles Guest

    In article <>,
    Kitt <> wrote:

    > Does that disqualify my D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large"
    > bag? Any prior experience or feedback?

    Their rules don't allow the above at RFK. I can't give you any feedback
    on their enforcement of that rule as I decided not to test their
    enforcement.

    --
    Charles

    Charles, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Kitt

    wilt Guest

    Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
    exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs simply
    because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak it in, then
    make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't want me to take
    photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports (NOT!)

    wilt, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Kitt

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "wilt" <> wrote:

    > Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
    > exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs simply
    > because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak it in, then
    > make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't want me to take
    > photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports (NOT!)

    I am not much of a sports fan, but I have attended a few MLB games and I
    have never had a problem using my Digital Rebel and long zoom lens
    there. In fact, last year, I snagged a ticket to a Phillies game in the
    Phillies' own box and no one batted an eye at my camera. In fact, two or
    three of the sales guys for the Phillies who were in the box for that
    game asked me to send them my photos. I doubt it would be any different
    at any other major league baseball parks, but it certainly can't hurt
    for the OP to call the stadium to ask (or check its web site).

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Kitt

    Frank ess Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "wilt" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
    >> exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs
    >> simply because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak
    >> it
    >> in, then make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't
    >> want
    >> me to take photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports
    >> (NOT!)

    > I am not much of a sports fan, but I have attended a few MLB games
    > and I have never had a problem using my Digital Rebel and long zoom
    > lens there. In fact, last year, I snagged a ticket to a Phillies
    > game
    > in the Phillies' own box and no one batted an eye at my camera. In
    > fact, two or three of the sales guys for the Phillies who were in
    > the
    > box for that game asked me to send them my photos. I doubt it would
    > be any different at any other major league baseball parks, but it
    > certainly can't hurt for the OP to call the stadium to ask (or check
    > its web site).

    Here's the one from the MLB San Diego Pobres' Petco Park A-Z guide:
    "CAMERAS AND CAMCORDERS
    Still and video cameras are welcome in PETCO Park. Guests are asked to
    avoid standing in the aisles while using video equipment, obstructing
    the views of others, or using tripods or monopods. Video and
    photography of PETCO Park or Padres players cannot be used
    commercially without written permission from the San Diego Padres.

    "The San Diego Padres reserve the right to request that guests
    discontinue filming or taking pictures on ballpark property. "

    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=sd

    For the San Diego Cagaderos (Chargers)
    "CAMERAS & VIDEO RECORDING DEVICES: Fans are permitted to bring
    cameras and video recorders into the stadium, provided they are
    intended for personal use only and do not interfere with other fans’
    view of the game. The taping of game footage is prohibited."

    http://www.chargers.com/

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Kitt

    Jeff G Guest

    "Kitt" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
    > Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
    > ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
    > detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags." I can
    > leave the backpack home, but what's a large bag and how strict are they
    > on the professional cameras with zoom lenses? Does that disqualify my
    > D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large" bag? Any prior experience
    > or feedback? We have a Canon S1 IS which has served well in the past,
    > so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
    > it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.

    Get a camera case that's just big enough to store both the
    D70, your lens, *and* your S1 IS. Put the D70/lenses on
    the bottom of the case, then a partition, then the S1 on top.
    Camera bag checks at ballparks are very cursory; when
    you enter the park they'll open the top of the case and see
    just the S1 (no detachable lens, it'll be fine).

    Jeff G, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Kitt

    Charles Guest

    In article <>, Shawn Hirn
    <> wrote:

    > I doubt it would be any different at any other major league baseball
    > parks, but it certainly can't hurt for the OP to call the stadium to
    > ask (or check its web site).

    The rules at RFK define "professional cameras with detachable zoom lens
    as prohibited". It is a weird rule though because that would mean that
    you could take a professional camera with a detachable non-zoom lnes.
    and what defines a professional camera? I have heard quite a bit about
    this rule but I don't know anyone around here (DC) who has tried to
    test it.

    --
    Charles

    Charles, Sep 2, 2005
  9. Kitt

    John Doe Guest

    MLB lisenses and sells images from the games. I guess they don' t want any
    competition....

    Best,

    Ross

    John Doe, Sep 2, 2005
  10. Kitt

    Kitt Guest

    Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping someone had had direct
    experience with RFK and either knew a way around it or had a definite
    no. In lieu of that, I guess I'm gonna' have to go to Wally World in
    the morning and just buy an S2. I sure wouldn't want to steal my
    wife's S1 and ruin her day. Yep, guess I'm just gonna' have to buy
    another camera. Darn, I really hate having an excuse to buy another
    camera, especially one that I wanted even before they announced it's
    existence. The S2 fixes all the shortcomings of the S1 and I feel
    pretty certain that the 12X with IS will get me just as good shots or
    better of my favorite Phillies as I got of my favorite Yankees with the
    S1, in spite of the smaller sensor. Of course, I'm still gonna' need
    that sweet little pocket model with the 7 megapixels for the places I
    can't even take the S2, right? But hey, my hobby could be golf, wifey
    dear, and just a year of greens fees and a good set of clubs cost more
    than a few cameras and some lenses. Or I could collect old cars..
    hope she doesn't think of all the software, ink and paper while I'm
    spinning this yarn. ;o)

    Kitt, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Kitt

    Guest

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:22:04 -0400, Shawn Hirn <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "wilt" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
    >> exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs simply
    >> because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak it in, then
    >> make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't want me to take
    >> photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports (NOT!)

    >I am not much of a sports fan, but I have attended a few MLB games and I
    >have never had a problem using my Digital Rebel and long zoom lens
    >there. In fact, last year, I snagged a ticket to a Phillies game in the
    >Phillies' own box and no one batted an eye at my camera. In fact, two or
    >three of the sales guys for the Phillies who were in the box for that
    >game asked me to send them my photos.

    If, with all the money they have to throw around, they didn't
    offer to pay for the pix, I'd have taken some great closeups of my
    butt and sent them copies.

    > I doubt it would be any different
    >at any other major league baseball parks, but it certainly can't hurt
    >for the OP to call the stadium to ask (or check its web site).

    , Sep 3, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > If, with all the money they have to throw around, they didn't
    > offer to pay for the pix, I'd have taken some great closeups of my
    > butt and sent them copies.

    No one wants to see your bloody hole.
    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Sep 3, 2005
  13. Kitt

    Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:34:40 GMT, Little Green Eyed Dragon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >

    >> If, with all the money they have to throw around, they didn't
    >> offer to pay for the pix, I'd have taken some great closeups of my
    >> butt and sent them copies.

    >No one wants to see your bloody hole.

    My point exactly. You must have nibbled some of those little
    brown smart pills this morning.

    , Sep 3, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > >No one wants to see your bloody hole.

    > My point exactly. You must have nibbled some of those little
    > brown smart pills this morning.

    Now if we can just get you to take your head out of that hole
    the bleeding will more than likely stop.

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Sep 3, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Kitt <> wrote:

    > I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
    > Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
    > ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
    > detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags."

    So my 300D Rebel should be fine <G> 'Cause my buddy who sprang for the
    20D always has to point out to me that my camera is an amateur camera
    that a pro wouldn't touch.

    "Sir, you can't bring that camera..."

    "But this is a plastic Digital Rebel. Absolutely not a professional
    camera."

    Oh... and my buddy doesn't know SHIT about photography. He just has
    deep pockets.

    I'm just saying...

    Steve Cutchen, Sep 3, 2005
  16. In article <030920051042119317%>, Steve Cutchen
    <> wrote:

    > So my 300D Rebel should be fine <G> 'Cause my buddy who sprang for the
    > 20D always has to point out to me that my camera is an amateur camera
    > that a pro wouldn't touch.

    I've taken my 10D to Safeco Field many times and nobody has ever said a
    thing.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 3, 2005
  17. Kitt

    Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:51:09 GMT, Little Green Eyed Dragon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >> >
    >> >No one wants to see your bloody hole.

    >> My point exactly. You must have nibbled some of those little
    >> brown smart pills this morning.

    >Now if we can just get you to take your head out of that hole
    >the bleeding will more than likely stop.

    Keep chomping the pills. They have lots moe at the rabbt farm.

    , Sep 4, 2005
  18. Kitt

    Paul H. Guest

    "Steve Cutchen" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Kitt <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
    > > Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
    > > ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
    > > detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags."

    > So my 300D Rebel should be fine <G> 'Cause my buddy who sprang for the
    > 20D always has to point out to me that my camera is an amateur camera
    > that a pro wouldn't touch.
    >
    > "Sir, you can't bring that camera..."
    >
    > "But this is a plastic Digital Rebel. Absolutely not a professional
    > camera."
    >
    > Oh... and my buddy doesn't know SHIT about photography. He just has
    > deep pockets.

    Here's a thought: Why not stop going to the ballpark where you do nothing
    but feed the wallets of a bunch of steroid-soaked, over-priviledged and
    greedy bastards who'd cut and run to the next ballpark if someone waved a
    few more bucks under their noses? In their eyes, every picture they
    prevent a fan from taking is another potential *ka-ching* at the concession
    stand.

    Go to a Triple-A game where players often >>gasp!<< practice the lost art of
    signing autographs. Buy a new lens with the money you save over the course
    of a season.

    Paul H., Sep 4, 2005
  19. In article <>, Paul H.
    <> wrote:

    > "Steve Cutchen" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > Kitt <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
    > > > Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
    > > > ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
    > > > detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags."

    > > So my 300D Rebel should be fine <G> 'Cause my buddy who sprang for the
    > > 20D always has to point out to me that my camera is an amateur camera
    > > that a pro wouldn't touch.
    > >
    > > "Sir, you can't bring that camera..."
    > >
    > > "But this is a plastic Digital Rebel. Absolutely not a professional
    > > camera."
    > >
    > > Oh... and my buddy doesn't know SHIT about photography. He just has
    > > deep pockets.

    > Here's a thought: Why not stop going to the ballpark where you do nothing
    > but feed the wallets of a bunch of steroid-soaked, over-priviledged and
    > greedy bastards who'd cut and run to the next ballpark if someone waved a
    > few more bucks under their noses? In their eyes, every picture they
    > prevent a fan from taking is another potential *ka-ching* at the concession
    > stand.
    >
    > Go to a Triple-A game where players often >>gasp!<< practice the lost art of
    > signing autographs. Buy a new lens with the money you save over the course
    > of a season.

    Why do you hate the Corpus Christi Hooks?

    Steve Cutchen, Sep 4, 2005
  20. Kitt

    Kitt Guest

    Actually, I tend to agree with you. The tickets were given to us and
    we love to visit DC. I work in the hospitality industry, so hotels are
    cheap too. In other words, nobody gets rich off of us when we visit..
    except the bellman and housekeepers, since the rooms near free. If the
    National's fans stay as enthusiastic as they were Saturday, they'll
    have pro ball back in town for a quite a while. Way more spirit than
    Baltimore.

    I keep track of the Phils and watch televised games now and then. Same
    with the Yankees in the junior league, but I'm not a major fan and have
    little desire to make a habit of pro ball games, unless we hit the
    lottery, then we're going to every major league park... twice.

    We're fortunate to have a couple AA clubs near enough to visit now and
    again and they are now both local farm teams for us. Harrisburg is now
    a Nats farm team and the Reading Phillies are, of course the Phils.
    Our nearest minor league team is the Hagerstown Suns, a farm for the
    Mets. They're A ball and haven't been too hot lately, but it's fun and
    cheap.

    BTW, I did buy the S2 and got some great shots, but as someone
    suspected, there were plenty of DSLR's there. I'm still glad I got it,
    because of the built in IS and it does a really good job. It's still
    not quite fast enough for rapid fire sports shots, but work around gets
    it close. Very nice little camera so far.

    Alas, our Phillies lost, but it was a nail biter that ended in the
    twelfth.

    Kitt

    Kitt, Sep 5, 2005