    --
    RobF
    Address anti-spammed

    RobF, Jan 27, 2009

  2. RobF

    Jeff Guest

    "RobF" <> wrote in
    news:NkHfl.215878$:

    > A dvd disk runs at slower than normal speed. Advance or rewind at
    > various higher speeds does not work. The strange fix is moving the
    > drive to a backup computer, same software. It runs perfectly.
    > Reinstall in main computer, problem disappears, runs perfectly.
    > Memorex Multi-format on an XP Home box. Manufacturer tech support
    > useless. This prob happened twice in last 2 or 3 months, after running
    > flawlessly for a year and a half. The multi purpose drive functions
    > well as CD reader and RW while prob is active, i.e. not yet "fixed".
    > Baffling. Please advise, TIA,

    Just a guess, perhaps somehow the DMA for that drive got turned off and the
    "found new hardware" routine when reinstalling it turned the DMA back on.

    Jeff, Jan 31, 2009

  3. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:10:06 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:

    >"RobF" <> wrote in
    >
    >> A dvd disk runs at slower than normal speed. Advance or rewind at
    >> various higher speeds does not work. The strange fix is moving the
    >> drive to a backup computer, same software. It runs perfectly.
    >> Reinstall in main computer, problem disappears, runs perfectly.
    >> Memorex Multi-format on an XP Home box. Manufacturer tech support
    >> useless. This prob happened twice in last 2 or 3 months, after running
    >> flawlessly for a year and a half. The multi purpose drive functions
    >> well as CD reader and RW while prob is active, i.e. not yet "fixed".
    >> Baffling. Please advise, TIA,

    >Just a guess, perhaps somehow the DMA for that drive got turned off and the
    >"found new hardware" routine when reinstalling it turned the DMA back on.

    Another thing. If the operating systems on the two different machines
    are also different, then the read error routines may also differ. That
    could result in excessive read re-tries on that 'slow reading' machine.

    I have had success flipping an older drive over. The head positioner
    can sag, and the calibration can get offset. I know it is awkward, but
    it can be used to prove the case.

    A new BD HD DVD drive can be had for $100. That will play ALL current
    formats, and record to DVD and CD with the added benefit of playing DVD
    upscaled, and BluRay and HD DVDs as well. If you have a high res
    monitor, the upgrade is worth it.

    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 31, 2009