BALD EAGLES LOVE THE D60 !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Annika1980

    Dan J. S. Guest

    Dan J. S., Apr 17, 2004

  3. Annika1980

    jriegle Guest

    Anni, Don't get too mad at me!. I don't like this one much. The branch over
    his beak and leaves obscuring part of his body and feet are too annoying for
    me. Most of your work is first rate and I know that wildlife don't cooperate
    just for the shot. Okay, Harry the Hawk may have! : ) Keep trying!

    I'm off to the Zoo in a few minutes with my Totally Digital Rebel and
    Incredible 300 f/4 IS. Wish me luck : )
    John

    jriegle, Apr 17, 2004
  4. George Preddy, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Annika1980

    Alan Browne Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.

    Too bad you can't provide a single best shot that comes close to and
    average shot from Annika.
    Alan Browne, Apr 17, 2004
  6. (George Preddy) wrote in

    > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.

    Maybe it is a crop George?

    Maybe it is resized for web display George?

    Maybe Annika is not interested in bragging about how
    fantastic the totally digital D60 is George?

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "jriegle"

    >I'm off to the Zoo in a few minutes with my Totally Digital Rebel and
    >Incredible 300 f/4 IS. Wish me luck

    That's like fishing in an aquarium.
    The trick is finding animals in their natural environments and trying to get
    decent shots of them without friggin twigs in the way.
    Annika1980, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Annika1980

    Mark M Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > (George Preddy) wrote in
    >
    > > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.
    > >

    > Maybe it is a crop George?
    >
    > Maybe it is resized for web display George?
    >
    > Maybe Annika is not interested in bragging about how
    > fantastic the totally digital D60 is George?

    Whoah, Roland!
    :)
    Let's not get carried away with that last one, now...
    Bragging is the one sport Brett does better than golf!
    Mark M, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Alan Browne <> wrote in message news:<Sndgc.46948$S%>...
    > George Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.

    > Too bad you can't provide a single best shot that comes close to and
    > average shot from Annika.

    0.2MP? You can't be serious.
    George Preddy, Apr 18, 2004
  10. Roland Karlsson <> wrote in message news:<Xns94CECDA38B012klotjohan@130.133.1.4>...
    > (George Preddy) wrote in
    >
    > > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.
    > >

    > Maybe it is a crop George?
    >
    > Maybe it is resized for web display George?

    You can't get a sharp picture out of a blurry Canon CMOS. 0.2MP is
    not pro quality digital, sorry.
    George Preddy, Apr 18, 2004
  11. "Mark M" <> wrote in

    > Whoah, Roland!
    >:)
    > Let's not get carried away with that last one, now...
    > Bragging is the one sport Brett does better than golf!

    hehe ... wrote that as a bait for Annika
    Roland Karlsson, Apr 18, 2004
  12. (George Preddy) wrote in

    > 0.2MP? You can't be serious.

    OK ... so it is the number of pixels that determine
    the quality of the pictur. I see. Glad to learn new
    stuff every day.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Apr 18, 2004
  13. (George Preddy) wrote in

    > You can't get a sharp picture out of a blurry Canon CMOS. 0.2MP is
    > not pro quality digital, sorry.

    No George. It is you that we shall feel sorry for.
    You have a very weird view of the world.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Apr 18, 2004
  14. (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Who Rules the big birds?
    > Why, the Totally Digital D60, of course!
    >

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/28019176/original

    0.2MP is inconclusive to show anything, a $200 credit card Casio does better.
    George Preddy, Apr 18, 2004
  15. (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Who Rules the big birds?
    > Why, the Totally Digital D60, of course!
    >

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/28019176/original

    Canon's dynamic range is clearly terrible there, sorry.

    The sky is standard Canon-pale-white, the white areas are blown, and
    the areas in shadow are solid black.

    Here is an example of professional digital's dynamic range, Canon
    cannot match it (nor can film)...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/24653641/original

    See, you can have blue skies and shadow detail in the same image, just
    not with Canon.
    George Preddy, Apr 18, 2004

    > > George Preddy wrote:
    > >
    > > > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.

    > > Too bad you can't provide a single best shot that comes close to and
    > > average shot from Annika.

    > 0.2MP? You can't be serious.

    So, where is your 3.4MP SD-9 Bald eagle shot then....

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 18, 2004
  17. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > See, you can have blue skies and shadow detail in the same image,
    > just not with Canon.

    So, you also don't understand the difference between Dynamic range and
    tonescaling. Why doesn't that surprise me ...

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 18, 2004
  18. Annika1980

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (George Preddy) wrote:

    >Alan Browne <> wrote in message news:<Sndgc.46948$S%>...
    >> George Preddy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Too bad the D60 is only good for 0.2MP.

    >> Too bad you can't provide a single best shot that comes close to and
    >> average shot from Annika.

    >0.2MP? You can't be serious.

    Yes, he's serious. Only a fool or someone who is very generous puts his
    best pictures in a public web site in full resolution.

    Nobody wants your full-res Sigma images, because they are composed for
    sharpness as an end in itself, and have no other appeal.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Apr 18, 2004
  19. Annika1980

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (George Preddy) wrote:

    > (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Who Rules the big birds?
    >> Why, the Totally Digital D60, of course!
    >>

    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/28019176/original

    >0.2MP is inconclusive to show anything, a $200 credit card Casio does better.

    Why do you want everyone's full-res images? Are you going to sell them
    to a Russian Travel Agency so they can make posters?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Apr 18, 2004
  20. Annika1980

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (George Preddy) wrote:

    > (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Who Rules the big birds?
    >> Why, the Totally Digital D60, of course!

    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/28019176/original

    >Canon's dynamic range is clearly terrible there, sorry.

    Here's part of the greyscale range; it has about 2/3 of a stop more grey
    than RGB for daylight (blue would end where the -3 block is, in magenta,
    on the bottom row):

    http://www.pbase.com/image/26476905

    >The sky is standard Canon-pale-white, the white areas are blown, and
    >the areas in shadow are solid black.

    Animal photography does not usually offer studio conditions, and in the
    pressure of the time constraints involved, only the animal itself is
    worth targeting for proper exposure. Under-exposing for the sky will
    result in more noise in the animal. RAW processing, however, allows
    more highlights on the Canon, so you don't have to under-expose as much
    to keep the sky from washing out.

    Also, the sky isn't always blue. Sometimes it is almost white, as in
    overcast days, which are the worst for shooting animals silouetted
    against the sky.

    >Here is an example of professional digital's dynamic range, Canon
    >cannot match it (nor can film)...

    >http://www.pbase.com/image/24653641/original

    >See, you can have blue skies and shadow detail in the same image, just
    >not with Canon.

    I have to go meet some friends now and go to Prospect Park in Brooklyn.
    Tomorrow, I'll do a trilogy of three different exposures of a deep blue
    sky with Silouetted people on the Staten Island Ferry, when I have more
    time. It won't be full-res, though, because the image is probably worth
    stealing.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Apr 18, 2004