Baja earthquake

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Apr 4, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    From usgs.gov

    A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4, 2010.

    The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.

    The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).

    Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE
    (106 degrees)

    Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 4, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    > From usgs.gov
    >
    > A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4, 2010.
    >
    > The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    > Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >
    > The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >
    > Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE
    > (106 degrees)
    >
    > Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    Thanks Mike, seen that a few min. ago on TV

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Apr 5, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> magnitude 6.9 event

    >> Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE

    > Thanks Mike, seen that a few min. ago on TV

    That was definitely the longest and strongest shaker I've felt in the
    decades I've been in SoCal.

    The usgs intensity and location maps and such don't seem to give me a
    picture of the duration part - which was very different for this one.

    The duration came in two long waves - long being a relative term when
    things are shaking and you are wondering how big this one is going to be
    - when it - the waves- are already stronger and longer than any
    experienced before.

    The typical shakes felt around here don't generally cause any alarm or
    concern, but the bigger and longer they are, the greater the opportunity
    for concern starting to build.

    I was looking around the house for things to start falling. There is a
    very old wall pendulum clock that I hung some time ago with a
    'significant' wall hanger that I found myself wondering about.

    That is funny that I was concerned about that clock, which has no
    antique value whatsoever - surely there must be something more important
    than that around here for me to worry about :)

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 5, 2010
  4. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:50:16 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > From usgs.gov
    >
    > A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4,
    > 2010.
    >
    > The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    > Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >
    > The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >
    > Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE
    > (106 degrees)
    >
    > Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the ocean
    soon.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he sold Eyore to the glue factory.
    Dan C, Apr 5, 2010
  5. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >>> magnitude 6.9 event

    >>> Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE

    >> Thanks Mike, seen that a few min. ago on TV

    > That was definitely the longest and strongest shaker I've felt in the
    > decades I've been in SoCal.
    >
    > The usgs intensity and location maps and such don't seem to give me a
    > picture of the duration part - which was very different for this one.
    >
    > The duration came in two long waves - long being a relative term when
    > things are shaking and you are wondering how big this one is going to be
    > - when it - the waves- are already stronger and longer than any
    > experienced before.
    >
    > The typical shakes felt around here don't generally cause any alarm or
    > concern, but the bigger and longer they are, the greater the opportunity
    > for concern starting to build.
    >
    > I was looking around the house for things to start falling. There is a
    > very old wall pendulum clock that I hung some time ago with a
    > 'significant' wall hanger that I found myself wondering about.
    >
    > That is funny that I was concerned about that clock, which has no
    > antique value whatsoever - surely there must be something more important
    > than that around here for me to worry about :)

    Glad all is well on your end. They keep talking about the So. Cal.
    big one.

    OldGringo38, Apr 5, 2010
  6. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> A strong earthquake

    >> The magnitude 6.9 event

    >> Baja California,

    > Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the ocean
    > soon.

    How juvenile of you.

    Hopefully you won't be similarly wishing harm to those in greater danger
    from the New Madrid seismic zone, the source of the 4 largest North
    American quakes in recorded history.

    The New Madrid would/could be affecting 7 US states - Illinois, Indiana,
    Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 5, 2010
  7. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Dan C Post:
    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:50:16 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> From usgs.gov
    >>
    >> A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4,
    >> 2010.
    >>
    >> The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    >> Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >>
    >> The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >>
    >> Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE
    >> (106 degrees)
    >>
    >> Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    > Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the ocean
    > soon.

    Hey! You better go format your hard drive after that.

    OldGringo38, Apr 5, 2010
  8. On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:03:53 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >Dan C wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> A strong earthquake

    >>> The magnitude 6.9 event

    >>> Baja California,

    >> Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the ocean
    >> soon.

    >How juvenile of you.
    >
    >Hopefully you won't be similarly wishing harm to those in greater danger
    >from the New Madrid seismic zone, the source of the 4 largest North
    >American quakes in recorded history.
    >
    >The New Madrid would/could be affecting 7 US states - Illinois, Indiana,
    >Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

    I agree with him. We can do without the two weirdo lands to our east
    and west.
    mara@ewi[qw.com, Apr 5, 2010
  9. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    > From usgs.gov
    >
    > A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4, 2010.
    >
    > The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    > Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >
    > The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >
    > Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE
    > (106 degrees)
    >
    > Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    News agency's are now reporting the quake as 7.2 ??

    OldGringo38, Apr 5, 2010
  10. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The mara@ewi[qw.com Post:
    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:03:53 -0700, Mike Easter<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the ocean
    >>> soon.

    >> How juvenile of you.
    >>
    >> Hopefully you won't be similarly wishing harm to those in greater danger
    >>from the New Madrid seismic zone, the source of the 4 largest North
    >> American quakes in recorded history.
    >>
    >> The New Madrid would/could be affecting 7 US states - Illinois, Indiana,
    >> Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

    > I agree with him. We can do without the two weirdo lands to our east
    > and west.

    No one gives a phuque who you agree with.

    OldGringo38, Apr 5, 2010
  11. Mike Easter

    chuckcar Guest

    Dan C <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:50:16 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> From usgs.gov
    >>
    >> A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4,
    >> 2010.
    >>
    >> The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    >> Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >>
    >> The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >>
    >> Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles)
    >> ESE (106 degrees)
    >>
    >> Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    > Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the
    > ocean soon.

    Clueless as always. It simply isn't moving that way, the two plates are
    moving North/South relative to each other. Stop watching bad James Bond
    movies.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 5, 2010
  12. Mike Easter

    Peter Foldes Guest

    This time in northern California, not connected to the first one, and
    smaller.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 5, 2010
  13. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > Mike Easter
    >> From usgs.gov

    >> The magnitude 6.9 event

    > News agency's are now reporting the quake as 7.2 ??

    The data I pasted within minutes source was automated and accessible
    within seconds.

    Here's newer from the same source:

    Version #2: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
    This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

    A major earthquake occurred at 3:40:40 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4, 2010.

    The magnitude 7.2 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SW of Guadalupe
    Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.

    The hypocentral depth is 10 km ( 6 miles).

    Now 7.2 instead of 6.9 and shallower, closer to the surface, 6 mi
    instead of 20 mi.

    Since Richter scales are logrithmic, it looks to me like 7.2 is twice as
    strong as 6.9 and 14 miles closer to the surface I live on.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 5, 2010
  14. Mike Easter

    John Holmes Guest

    OldGringo38 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The mara@ewi[qw.com Post:
    >> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:03:53 -0700, Mike Easter<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> How juvenile of you.
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully you won't be similarly wishing harm to those in greater
    >>> danger
    >>>from the New Madrid seismic zone, the source of the 4 largest North
    >>> American quakes in recorded history.
    >>>
    >>> The New Madrid would/could be affecting 7 US states - Illinois,
    >>> Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

    >> I agree with him. We can do without the two weirdo lands to our east
    >> and west.

    > No one gives a phuque who you agree with.

    Your spell-checker is fucked; "phugue" is spelled "****"

    HTH

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Apr 5, 2010
  15. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> Mike Easter
    >>> From usgs.gov

    >>> The magnitude 6.9 event

    >> News agency's are now reporting the quake as 7.2 ??

    > The data I pasted within minutes source was automated and accessible
    > within seconds.
    >
    > Here's newer from the same source:

    Just glad it has settled down. take care.

    OldGringo38, Apr 5, 2010
  16. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Manatee Memories wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Now 7.2 instead of 6.9 and shallower, closer to the surface, 6 mi
    >> instead of 20 mi.

    > is that _really_really_ bad?

    About the same as the Haiti quake, but with different results for
    several reasons.

    Ask Haiti and the international agencies that were involved in that
    disaster and its ongoing aftermath what is bad or what isn't quite so bad.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 5, 2010
  17. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 04:36:58 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Dan C <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 15:50:16 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> From usgs.gov
    >>>
    >>> A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4,
    >>> 2010.
    >>>
    >>> The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    >>> Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >>>
    >>> The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >>>
    >>> Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles)
    >>> ESE (106 degrees)
    >>>
    >>> Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)

    >> Hopefully that whole side of the continent will slide off into the
    >> ocean soon.
    >>

    > Clueless as always. It simply isn't moving that way, the two plates are
    > moving North/South relative to each other. Stop watching bad James Bond
    > movies.

    Dumbass.

    There's no such thing as a bad James Bond movie.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he struggled with the condom.
    Dan C, Apr 6, 2010
  18. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:54:26 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    >> From usgs.gov
    >>
    >> A strong earthquake occurred at 3:40:39 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 4,
    >> 2010.
    >>
    >> The magnitude 6.9 event occurred 26 km (16 miles) SSW of Guadalupe
    >> Victoria, Baja California, Mexico.
    >>
    >> The hypocentral depth is 32 km (20 miles).
    >>
    >> Distance from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 173 km (108 miles) ESE
    >> (106 degrees)
    >>
    >> Gadsden, AZ - 68 km (42 miles) SW (220 degrees)
    >>

    > News agency's are now reporting the quake as 7.2 ??

    Is that supposed to be a question, or a statement?

    Is Engrish your second language?

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he puked on Christopher Robin.
    Dan C, Apr 6, 2010
  19. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:52:11 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Manatee Memories wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >>> Now 7.2 instead of 6.9 and shallower, closer to the surface, 6 mi
    >>> instead of 20 mi.

    >> is that _really_really_ bad?

    > About the same as the Haiti quake, but with different results for
    > several reasons.
    >
    > Ask Haiti and the international agencies that were involved in that
    > disaster and its ongoing aftermath what is bad or what isn't quite so
    > bad.

    How exactly would one go about "asking Haiti"...?

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he backed into a squad car.
    Dan C, Apr 6, 2010