Baffling installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. I am trying to install a new OEM copy of XP 64 purchased recently from
    TigerDirect.

    I have been running the beta XP64 without any hassles and it installed fine
    when I created a SATA driver floppy last year.

    The new XP64 has serious problems every time it tries to load the driver
    from the floppy, I have tried some 5 or 6 differing version from various
    sites.

    MB: Asus K8V SE DeLuxe
    BIOS: v02.54
    Promise Controller [DISABLED]
    HD: A single 200G drive, SATA known to work fine.

    System has XP Pro and still has the XP64 beta (which I was planning to
    overwrite!)

    The error:

    file: \2003x64\viamrx64.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 2335
    in d:\srvrtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

    and installation cannot continue.

    The line number, text ect quoted above varies slighlty as I try different
    drivers.

    I am also very frustrated/confused by the various driver downloads, none of
    them actually have any docs that say: "Copy these files and folder to your
    floppy" I have just been using educated guesswork, probably doing it right,
    but Asus etc really should be explicit on these details.

    Do MS know what error 4096 might mean? can we use this to deduce anything
    helpful?

    It seems that this msg is the result of some C function in oemdisl.c (a
    switch stmt ?) that uses _LINE_ in its error reports, it may be that I am
    doing something silly like having an incorrectly named folder or something?

    I am experienced with hardware and software design/code so feel free to get
    in-depth if u need to.

    Any assisatnce is much appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 9, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Perhaps your download of the VIA drivers is corrupted. I used the same
    drivers when I installed x64 and I did not encounter any problems.

    Rick, Jul 9, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sure seems to be a driver problem, and ASUS driver build programs to create
    the F6 floppy are usually a simple exe that creates the floppy. Also your
    bios version seems off. Latest listed BIOS for your board are 1006 and
    1008-001 (beta). V5.2.3790.310 OR 4.30C seem to be the latest SATA RAID
    drivers for 64-bit Windows.

    John Barnes, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Well I tried the original floppy, drivers from ASUS and several other x64
    oriented wesbites. It is possible but strikes me as unlikely after all the
    various versions I have tried.

    Anyway, I just booted into the XP-64 beta (build 3790, SP1 v.1218 if this
    means anything) and that was fine, so I inserted CD and was surprised to see
    that upgrading was an option.

    I tried this but got two major anomalies:

    1. During the early stages of the setup when it copies files in character
    mode it failed (I pressed ESC - continue) to copy these:

    mrxsmb.sys
    lsasrv.dll
    iedkcs32.dll
    mshtml.dll

    It then continued and appeared to upgrade/install fine.

    After upgrade was done, I booted and sadly, very very early on in the boot,
    before the black/white strip appears at bottom of screen, the system
    spontaneously reboots.

    So although the upgrade looked like it was going to work, it has failed and
    I am not sure what is going on here.

    Even safemode fails with the reboot in the same way.

    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 9, 2005
  5. OK I resolved all this.

    I went to the VIA site and got latest drivers, they also make it clear what
    files must be on the floppy.

    I also formatted a new floppy for this test.

    Everything worked fine, I basically installed a fresh copy after
    reformatting the partition.

    It may have been driver or it may have been floppy, I will never know!

    Thsk
    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Just so you know, there were major changes between RC and RTM that affected
    F6 drivers. Old ones just won't work, even though they look like they will.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2005