Baffled by New Zealand online Apple Store.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. I ring them up to place an order for some JBL Creature II Speakers,
    say I want to pay by direct credit into their bank account (thus my
    phone call, rather than doing this all online - as I wish I could, but
    that's credit card only, and I want to pay for this item from my bank
    account). They later email me the bank account details. They include a
    branch number, an account number, a two digit account suffix... but no
    two-digit bank number???

    I call them up and am told this is standard practice. They are not
    aware of these marvellous things called NUMBERS for bank codes in NZ.
    *shakes head* I swear... I was also told I was the first to complain -
    THAT I find IMPOSSIBLE to believe.

    Now I know there are some differences between the American and NZ
    banking systems, but one constant is using NUMBERS for bank codes. I
    mean - how the hell is my bank supposed to know WHICH bank I want a
    transfer to go to? The branch number won't help them. The account
    number won't help them. Sure as hell the suffix won't help them :-D
    There is no space to write the bank's name in an online transaction
    (and WHY would there be? How inefficient and prone to error would
    using printed bank names be, rather than the usual code?).

    What is up with the Apple Store? I believe worldwide the same customer
    service representatives deal with everyone. What's your experience
    been like? Have them been aware of how a bank transfer works and
    what's required?

    BTW - I rang my bank (spending five minutes on hold), asked for
    Citibank NZ's bank code (a further three minutes on hold). It's 31.
    There, is that such a hard piece of info to pass along to your NZ
    customers, Apple? :-D My banking rep agreed Apple are obviously
    unaware of how the banking system in NZ operates if they believe their
    customers can get by with out the full account number including bank
    code.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Josselin Guest

    HI Jamie

    Maybe you're right, but in order to fully understand your problem,
    please can you post your full bank account number ? to perform a
    complete check I also need your credit card number and code and maybe
    your wife's (or girlfriend) phone number... . ;-)))))))

    joss

    Josselin, Jul 3, 2007