    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its
    entire client-server infrastructure."

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Aquilegia Alyssum

    El Chippy Guest

    "Aquilegia Alyssum" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > http://badvista.fsf.org/
    >
    > Interesting!

    Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
    morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your own,
    but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

    My mental image of you is of a very pale faced weedy little geek in a suit
    with a mountain bike about to have a door slammed in his face while a copy
    of LinuxLover Monthly (think watchtower) gets biffed into the nearest
    bin/fireplace.

    El Chippy, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Aquilegia Alyssum

    Phil Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote, On 16/12/06 6.34 p:
    > http://badvista.fsf.org/
    >
    > Interesting!

    That press release sounds too much like an april-fools joke to me.

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Aquilegia Alyssum

    Miguel Guest

    'Ello Chippy

    Although I'd normally agree with your "stop forcing your views down my
    throat" post, I can't help but silently encourage AA in his/her
    continued pro Open Source quest.

    Your "despondent mormons in suits on mountain bikes repeatedly having
    the door slammed in their face by the non-believers" analogy is more
    and more how I feel when I'm dealing with the couple of dozen computers
    I *voluntarily* look after for friends, family and neighbours.

    No matter what I say I'm always called in to recover systems which need
    not have gone down in the first place. The problem is ALWAYS security
    based.

    I'm sick of doing the same thing (update and run spybot and ad-aware,
    check msconfig, run Hi-Jack This etc etc) and have just got to the
    stage of booting with Knoppix Live CD, saving everything to a USB drive
    and then reinstalling from an image. One hour tops.

    I've used and supported MS from Dos 3.3 through to XP but I'm now
    telling my friends, family and neighbours that if they buy a new
    computer and it runs Vista then don't come to me for advice cos I can't
    be bothered learning my way around a new operating system that I know
    I'll never use, especially when there are so many open source
    alternatives which will do the job just as well.

    > My mental image of you is of a very pale faced weedy little geek in a suit
    > with a mountain bike

    For the record, fat, forty-ish and sunburnt. Not a pretty sight at all
    :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    In message <45838816$>, El Chippy wrote:

    > Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
    > morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your
    > own, but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

    Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a real computer.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Aquilegia Alyssum

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:41:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <45838816$>, El Chippy wrote:
    >
    >> Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
    >> morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your
    >> own, but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

    >Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a real computer.

    And here, folks, displayed for all to see, is the arrogance of a Linux
    geek (well, a MacLinux geek in this case).

    No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
    advocating for it.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 17, 2006
  7. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    T'was the Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:07:45 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
    >advocating for it.

    I've seen worse on both sides of the camp. And really, who takes
    advocates like that seriously?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 17, 2006
  8. Aquilegia Alyssum

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:28:48 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> exclaimed:

    >T'was the Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:07:45 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
    >>advocating for it.

    >I've seen worse on both sides of the camp. And really, who takes
    >advocates like that seriously?

    Mmm. The problem is, Advocates like that make a joke out of what they
    are advocating for. How can someone (who doesn't know about such
    things) take Linux seriously if the only representation of it was from
    idiots like that?

    Fred Dagg, Dec 17, 2006
  9. Aquilegia Alyssum

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-16, Phil <> wrote:
    > Aquilegia Alyssum wrote, On 16/12/06 6.34 p:
    >> http://badvista.fsf.org/
    >>
    >> Interesting!

    > That press release sounds too much like an april-fools joke to me.

    closer to Halloween I think.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Dec 17, 2006
  10. Aquilegia Alyssum

    El Chippy Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > 'Ello Chippy

    > Although I'd normally agree with your "stop forcing your views down my
    > throat" post, I can't help but silently encourage AA in his/her
    > continued pro Open Source quest.

    I dont have a problem with him encouraging people to use Linux and open
    source software.I use and enjoy playing around in Linux myself. I have a
    problem with the continuous MS bashing. And telecom bashing. Better to
    promote your own product than bash the competitors. Specially when you are
    bashing a non existant product.. Vista isn't even availble for general
    release yet. I dont see the MS advocates bashing the 2.6.20-rcXX kernels in
    here do you?

    > No matter what I say I'm always called in to recover systems which need
    > not have gone down in the first place. The problem is ALWAYS security
    > based.

    user=ID10T or ignorant problems wont go away just by moving to Linux. The
    same user that clicks Ok on every pop-up while browsing dodgy porn sites
    will still install malware if they think it will get them free access to the
    paris hilton video (or whatever it is that floats their boat).
    Anytime ignorant user has admin access you have a problem.
    Anytime user cant install new software you no longer have a user friendly
    _home_ PC.

    > I've used and supported MS from Dos 3.3

    Hmmmm, i think the first PC/XT i owned had DOS 2.1 when i first acquired
    it.. but my memory may be wrong on that one.

    > through to XP but I'm now
    > telling my friends, family and neighbours that if they buy a new
    > computer and it runs Vista then don't come to me for advice cos I can't
    > be bothered learning my way around a new operating system that I know
    > I'll never use, especially when there are so many open source
    > alternatives which will do the job just as well.

    Depends on what they are trying to do... if its just email and internet
    browsing linux is fine.
    Work on getting developers to write/release software that runs on Linux,
    until the applications are there the users wont be either. and until the
    users are there why write applications for linux. Chicken and the Egg.

    >> My mental image of you is of a very pale faced weedy little geek in a
    >> suit
    >> with a mountain bike

    > For the record, fat, forty-ish and sunburnt. Not a pretty sight at all

    Heh, currently a bit lobster like due to over exposure to the big nuclear
    reactor in the sky myself. And the waistline has seen better days too. :)

    El Chippy, Dec 17, 2006
  11. Aquilegia Alyssum

    El Chippy Guest

    Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    > In message <45838816$>, El Chippy wrote:
    >
    >> Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
    >> morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your
    >> own, but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

    > Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a real computer.

    1) I am not a kid. I do not have cloven hooves, and my mother would object
    most strenuosly to being called an old goat. Nor am i wet behind the ears.

    2) this is a real computer. It even has Ubuntu installed on it. but since
    Autocad and plenty of other software i need/desire to use isn't available on
    Linux i spend more time in XP.

    Your continuous whinging is really not helping the linux cause. Ubuntu
    installed quickly and easily once one minor hiccup with some incompatability
    with the DVD drive was overcome and is a lot better than the mandrake/redhat
    and debian distros i played with three or four years ago ever was. Still
    lacking in some areas of software support, but that will come in time if
    people like yourself dont give Linux a bad image it doesnt deserve.

    El Chippy, Dec 17, 2006
  12. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:11:15 +1300, El Chippy wrote:

    > Hmmmm, i think the first PC/XT i owned had DOS 2.1 when i first acquired
    > it.. but my memory may be wrong on that one.

    First PC I used had CP/M on it, used 5.25" floppies (that were actually
    floppy) and didn't have a HDD.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 17, 2006
  13. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    T'was the Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:59:18 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >>I've seen worse on both sides of the camp. And really, who takes
    >>advocates like that seriously?

    >Mmm. The problem is, Advocates like that make a joke out of what they
    >are advocating for. How can someone (who doesn't know about such
    >things) take Linux seriously if the only representation of it was from
    >idiots like that?

    I guess it would be like voting for National based on the advice of
    the Exclusive Brethren.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 17, 2006
  14. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:24:32 +1300, El Chippy wrote:

    > 2) this is a real computer. It even has Ubuntu installed on it. but since
    > Autocad and plenty of other software i need/desire to use isn't available on
    > Linux i spend more time in XP.

    You purchased AutoCAD for use at home?

    How much did that set you back?

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 17, 2006
  15. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    In message <>, El Chippy wrote:

    > I dont see the MS advocates bashing the 2.6.20-rcXX kernels
    > in here do you?

    In order for them to do that, first they'd have to get off their arses to
    find out what it was. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2006
  16. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:55:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> I dont see the MS advocates bashing the 2.6.20-rcXX kernels
    >> in here do you?

    > In order for them to do that, first they'd have to get off their arses to
    > find out what it was. :)

    LOL!

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 17, 2006
  17. Aquilegia Alyssum

    Philip Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:11:15 +1300, El Chippy wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmmm, i think the first PC/XT i owned had DOS 2.1 when i first acquired
    >> it.. but my memory may be wrong on that one.

    > First PC I used had CP/M on it, used 5.25" floppies (that were actually
    > floppy) and didn't have a HDD.
    >

    > Aquilegia Alyssum

    Our research institute got a grant of GBP 2400 through the University to
    replace our CP/M machine (one machine for four researchers) with a
    Zenith PC with 512 K of RAM that booted MS DOS 1. It wasn't pretty. For
    the adventurous among us, meaning me, DOS 2.something plus WordStar was
    supplied on three five-and-a-quarter inch floppies. The machine came
    with the wonder of the age, a stonking 5 Megabyte Winchester drive. We
    thought we would never fill it. I think from memory that the box had an
    8086 processor. You had a rich choice of screen color, between green and
    amber. You only got to make the choice when you were specifying the machine.

    Two years later I saw the same machine atop the dumpster in the yard and
    we had installed a Novell Network that sort of worked most of the time
    on our superefficient 80286 and 80386-equipped PCs, and the finance guy
    eventually agreed that each researcher could have their own PC after I
    had a meeting where voices were raised and I argued that sharing a
    machine was the same as sharing a sheet of paper and a pencil, and that
    it was only money anyway...

    Philip

    ..

    Philip, Dec 18, 2006
  18. Re: Bad Vista. Bad, Bad, Bad.

    In article <>, wrote:
    >T'was the Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:07:45 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
    >>advocating for it.

    >I've seen worse on both sides of the camp. And really, who takes
    >advocates like that seriously?

    Exactly.

    Well said ... and could all those "advocates" (reminds me of the yellow eggy
    gunge ... and almost as appealing :) ) just pause fior thought before
    pushing the send button ? ... please ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 18, 2006
  19. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:13:25 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > The machine came
    > with the wonder of the age, a stonking 5 Megabyte Winchester drive. We
    > thought we would never fill it. I think from memory that the box had an
    > 8086 processor.

    I briefly used a CP/M machine with a Winchester drive.

    Had to turn it on and let it settle down before booting the PC. Also had
    to run a program to park the heads before turning it off.

    IT was a green-screen machine, and the whole thing looked and felt
    expensive at the time.

    Today that machine would probably just look very old. :eek:)

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 18, 2006
  20. In message <>, Aquilegia
    Alyssum wrote:

    > I briefly used a CP/M machine with a Winchester drive.
    >
    > Had to turn it on and let it settle down before booting the PC. Also had
    > to run a program to park the heads before turning it off.

    Head-parking was quite a commonly-mentioned thing up until about the mid
    1980s. There was some dispute as to whether it was actually needed with
    Winchester drives (i.e. essentially every hard drive used with a PC from
    those days up until the present day). Presumably the drive vendors figured
    out how to get the controller firmware to deal with it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006