    when i flush my toilet
    all the lights in the house dim

    wiring must be bad i guess
    philo, Nov 18, 2005

  2. philo

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, philo
    <> wrote:

    > when i flush my toilet
    > all the lights in the house dim
    >
    > wiring must be bad i guess

    Or you're light-headed.
    Mitch, Nov 18, 2005

  3. philo

    Guest

    Not sure could you describe the systems your using more fully.

    Is it just the toilet or does draining the bath tub cause the same
    affect.
    , Nov 18, 2005
  4. philo wrote:

    > when i flush my toilet
    > all the lights in the house dim
    >
    > wiring must be bad i guess

    Obviously, BT is controlling your electrical power.

    But like the porndialer guy, you alone are responsible for what
    you dump into the system. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 18, 2005
  5. philo quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > when i flush my toilet
    > all the lights in the house dim
    >
    > wiring must be bad i guess

    I think we're cross-connected. When I turn on a light (in any room in the
    house), the toilet flushes. It's costing me a fortune in water bills.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-
    The Old Sourdough, Nov 18, 2005
  6. philo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:05:51 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >when i flush my toilet
    >all the lights in the house dim

    Could be worse.

    You could get better water flow from the kitchen sink when you flush
    the toilet...

    >wiring must be bad i guess

    Well considering a toilet has no power (last I checked)...
    Evan Platt, Nov 18, 2005
  7. philo

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    > Well considering a toilet has no power (last I checked)...

    Macerators that come online when the bog is flushed, fancy japanese bog
    seats with extractor fans built in?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 18, 2005
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:

    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Well considering a toilet has no power (last I checked)...

    > Macerators that come online when the bog is flushed, fancy japanese bog
    > seats with extractor fans built in?
    >
    > Dan

    Yep
    my toilet has a 3 phase 480 volt motor to really get that water flowing.
    nothing like an electrically powered toilet you know :)
    philo, Nov 18, 2005
  9. philo

    gordon Guest

    philo wrote:

    > Yep
    > my toilet has a 3 phase 480 volt motor

    415v surely?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10, Pan, Evolution and Firefox
    gordon, Nov 18, 2005
  10. philo

    ellis_jay Guest

    philo wrote:
    > when i flush my toilet
    > all the lights in the house dim
    >
    > wiring must be bad i guess

    Bad ground at your pump. Does it smell?
    You could install neon light bulb in your out-house to save on buying light
    bulbs.
    You could flush twice because it is a long way to the kitchen.
    Or don't poop or pee.
    Don't vomit.
    And don't listen to me.
    You just stay the fartin' star that you are and fuhgidabowtit.

    Ellis_jay
    ellis_jay, Nov 18, 2005
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:26:59 +0000, gordon wrote:

    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> Yep
    >> my toilet has a 3 phase 480 volt motor

    > 415v surely?

    in the usa...

    industry generally uses 480 or 240 volts 3phase
    and occasionally 208 volts 3 phase
    philo, Nov 18, 2005
  12. philo

    gordon Guest

    philo wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:26:59 +0000, gordon wrote:
    >

    >>philo wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yep
    >>>my toilet has a 3 phase 480 volt motor

    >>415v surely?

    > in the usa...
    >
    > industry generally uses 480 or 240 volts 3phase
    > and occasionally 208 volts 3 phase

    So presumably as your domestic supply is 110v you get *6* phases?
    (we get 240v from one phase and neutral from a 415v three-phase supply)

    gordon, Nov 18, 2005
  13. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > So presumably as your domestic supply is 110v you get *6* phases?
    > (we get 240v from one phase and neutral from a 415v three-phase supply)

    domestic power is 115/230 single phase (60 hz)

    with industrial 3 phase power...
    though it can vary...one of the 3-phase legs is grounded...
    though of course a 4th wire safety ground is required
    to have the cabinet grounded at all times.

    many years ago i was working in a factory and some idiot electrician
    actually had a "hot" wire going to the ungrounded cabinet
    and i was standing in water when i touched it!!!!!

    i *refused* to leave the plant .
    i made the electrician re-wire the machine...
    some one could have been killed
    and i'm lucky it was not me!
    philo, Nov 18, 2005
  14. philo quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <snip>
    >>>

    >> So presumably as your domestic supply is 110v you get *6* phases?
    >> (we get 240v from one phase and neutral from a 415v three-phase supply)
    >>

    > domestic power is 115/230 single phase (60 hz)
    >
    > with industrial 3 phase power...
    > though it can vary...one of the 3-phase legs is grounded...
    > though of course a 4th wire safety ground is required
    > to have the cabinet grounded at all times.
    >
    > many years ago i was working in a factory and some idiot electrician
    > actually had a "hot" wire going to the ungrounded cabinet
    > and i was standing in water when i touched it!!!!!
    >

    > i *refused* to leave the plant .
    > i made the electrician re-wire the machine...
    > some one could have been killed
    > and i'm lucky it was not me!

    AI've seen some doozies, too. I have run across fused neutral lines in some
    older homes when doing remodeling and upgrade work. 20 amp fuse on the
    hot side, and 10 amp fuse on the neutral. Now that's something that can kill
    ya' too.

    I had an old electrician tell me once, "You can work on hot 480V systems if
    you're fast." I sometimes wonder if he got very much older......

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 18, 2005
  15. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > AI've seen some doozies, too. I have run across fused neutral lines in some
    > older homes when doing remodeling and upgrade work. 20 amp fuse on the
    > hot side, and 10 amp fuse on the neutral. Now that's something that can kill
    > ya' too.
    >
    > I had an old electrician tell me once, "You can work on hot 480V systems if
    > you're fast." I sometimes wonder if he got very much older......

    yeah those old houses can be something.
    my house was built in 1898 and was not electrified until 1932...
    which is good actually as it was at least wired with BX.
    the homes that were electrified earlier had that knob and tube wiring!!!

    when i remodeled the kitchen and opened the wall up...
    i found an empty pack of cigarettes in the wall that the electricians
    must have left.
    it was lucky strikes with a GREEN label!!!!
    quite a nice collector's item.

    the house , at that time just had 30 amp 115 only serice...
    but back in those days it was used just for lighting...
    oh...and the doorbell !!!!!
    philo, Nov 18, 2005
  16. philo

    Dan Evans Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > many years ago i was working in a factory and some idiot electrician
    > actually had a "hot" wire going to the ungrounded cabinet
    > and i was standing in water when i touched it!!!!!

    I once earthed myself to a rack that was connected to phase rather than
    earth. You wouldn't believe how long it takes to unplug yourself from that,
    though it probabyl doesn't take as long as it seems to.

    The electrician that wired that job was sacked soon afterwards.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 18, 2005
  17. philo

    Guest

    gordon wrote:
    > philo wrote:

    > >>415v surely?

    > > in the usa...
    > >
    > > industry generally uses 480 or 240 volts 3phase
    > > and occasionally 208 volts 3 phase
    > >

    > So presumably as your domestic supply is 110v you get *6* phases?
    > (we get 240v from one phase and neutral from a 415v three-phase supply)
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User no 240308
    > Ubuntu 5.10, Pan, Evolution and Firefox
    > gbplinuxATgmailDOTcom
    > to email me remove the obvious!
    , Nov 18, 2005
  18. philo

    Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > philo quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > <snip>
    > >>>

    > >> So presumably as your domestic supply is 110v you get *6* phases?
    > >> (we get 240v from one phase and neutral from a 415v three-phase supply)
    > >>

    > > domestic power is 115/230 single phase (60 hz)
    > >
    > > with industrial 3 phase power...
    > > though it can vary...one of the 3-phase legs is grounded...
    > > though of course a 4th wire safety ground is required
    > > to have the cabinet grounded at all times.
    > >
    > > many years ago i was working in a factory and some idiot electrician
    > > actually had a "hot" wire going to the ungrounded cabinet
    > > and i was standing in water when i touched it!!!!!
    > >

    > > i *refused* to leave the plant .
    > > i made the electrician re-wire the machine...
    > > some one could have been killed
    > > and i'm lucky it was not me!
    > >

    > AI've seen some doozies, too. I have run across fused neutral lines in some
    > older homes when doing remodeling and upgrade work. 20 amp fuse on the
    > hot side, and 10 amp fuse on the neutral. Now that's something that can kill
    > ya' too.
    >
    > I had an old electrician tell me once, "You can work on hot 480V systems if
    > you're fast." I sometimes wonder if he got very much older......
    >
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-
    > Helen Keller
    , Nov 18, 2005
  19. philo

    old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >> philo quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> > <snip>

    >> > domestic power is 115/230 single phase (60 hz)
    >> >
    >> > with industrial 3 phase power...
    >> > though it can vary...one of the 3-phase legs is grounded...
    >> > though of course a 4th wire safety ground is required
    >> > to have the cabinet grounded at all times.
    >> >
    >> > many years ago i was working in a factory and some idiot electrician
    >> > actually had a "hot" wire going to the ungrounded cabinet
    >> > and i was standing in water when i touched it!!!!!
    >> >

    >> > i *refused* to leave the plant .
    >> > i made the electrician re-wire the machine...
    >> > some one could have been killed
    >> > and i'm lucky it was not me!
    >> >

    >> AI've seen some doozies, too. I have run across fused neutral lines in
    >> some
    >> older homes when doing remodeling and upgrade work. 20 amp fuse on the
    >> hot side, and 10 amp fuse on the neutral. Now that's something that can
    >> kill
    >> ya' too.
    >>
    >> I had an old electrician tell me once, "You can work on hot 480V systems
    >> if
    >> you're fast." I sometimes wonder if he got very much older......

    Ireckon he lived fast, died young, and had a very good looking brown corpse.
    %> )

    old jon, Nov 18, 2005
  20. philo

    Dave Lear Guest

    "philo" wrote in message news:

    > when i flush my toilet
    > all the lights in the house dim
    >
    > wiring must be bad i guess

    We need more technical details, Philo.

    Please examine the log files and hex dumps.
    Dave Lear, Nov 18, 2005