Bad wireless connections in Windows weirdness

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by pvhoffman@gmail.com, Aug 11, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have 3 laptops connected wirelessly and 2 desktops wired to one
    router with wireless support.

    The two wired desktop (both Windows XP) have no connectivity
    problems.

    Two of the laptops running Windows XP MCE have serious problems that
    will occur from hours to days, the other (third) laptop run Ubuntu
    Linux 8.04 and never has any of these problems.

    The two Windows laptop have no problem acquiring an IP address from
    the router, no problems with SMTP/POP3 interactions, ping requests,
    etc. The problems seem to have everything to do with http traffic.
    This led me to believe that a worm or virus had infected the two
    Windows laptops, but after running virus/malware scans, looking form
    malicious entries in hijackthis, weird entries in startup keys in the
    registry, etc. I haven't found any signs of anything 'bad' running on
    the Windows laptops. It doesn't matter if the Linux laptop is powered
    off or not, the Windows laptops behave exacly the same. I've tried
    switching from a Netgear to a Linksys wireless router, but the same
    behavior is exhibited. What is even stranger is that everything works
    fine if the Windows laptops are connected via cat5 to the router!

    As of now I'm going to begin keeping a log of these connectivity
    problems to begin comparison with sun spot activity to find the
    correlation between http over wireless on Windows and activity on the
    surface of the sun until somebody can suggest anything better, for I
    am perplexed....

    Thank you

    Paul

    , Aug 11, 2008

  2. Barb Bowman Guest

    what is the exact problem?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Aug 11, 2008

  3. smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 11, 12:25 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > I have 3 laptops connected wirelessly and 2 desktops wired to one
    > router with wireless support.
    >
    > The two wired desktop (both Windows XP) have no connectivity
    > problems.
    >
    > Two of the laptops running Windows XP MCE have serious problems that
    > will occur from hours to days, the other (third) laptop run Ubuntu
    > Linux 8.04 and never has any of these problems.
    >
    > The two Windows laptop have no problem acquiring an IP address from
    > the router, no problems with SMTP/POP3 interactions, ping requests,
    > etc.  The problems seem to have everything to do with http traffic.
    > This led me to believe that a worm or virus had infected the two
    > Windows laptops, but after running virus/malware scans, looking form
    > malicious entries in hijackthis, weird entries in startup keys in the
    > registry, etc. I haven't found any signs of anything 'bad' running on
    > the Windows laptops.  It doesn't matter if the Linux laptop is powered
    > off or not, the Windows laptops behave exacly the same.  I've tried
    > switching from a Netgear to a Linksys wireless router, but the same
    > behavior is exhibited.  What is even stranger is that everything works
    > fine if the Windows laptops are connected via cat5 to the router!
    >
    > As of now I'm going to begin keeping a log of these connectivity
    > problems to begin comparison with sun spot activity to find the
    > correlation between http over wireless on Windows and activity on the
    > surface of the sun until somebody can suggest anything better, for I
    > am perplexed....
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Paul

    Check the wireless laptops so as to see if any firewall settings might
    be blocking the wireless network SSID.

    smlunatick, Aug 11, 2008
  4. Hi
    Check the Wireless,configuration by following this process.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 11, 2008