Bad security news for Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nospam, Mar 29, 2008.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own hacking
    contestContestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author
    Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of Microsoft's Vista
    operating system was the second and final machine to fall in a hacking
    contest that pitted the security of Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With
    both a Windows and Mac machine felled, only the Linux box remained
    standing following the three-day competition.

    Shane Macaulay, who played a hand bringing down a Mac during last year's
    Pwn2Own contest, defeated the Vista machine using a previously unknown
    vulnerability in Adobe Flash. On final day of the CanSecWest conference
    in Vancouver, Macaulay spent the better part of four hours trying to get
    the exploit to work. (The delay prompted one spectator to playfully dub
    the difficulty "hacktile dysfunction.")

    A MacBook Pro running a fully patched version of Leopard was the first
    to drop out during day two of the race, when researchers from
    Independent Security Evaluators demonstrated a previously unknown
    vulnerability in Apple's Safari browser. With brand new boxes running
    both Ubuntu and Vista remaining, Macaulay spent day three switching back
    and forth between the two machines, trying to get his Flash exploit to
    execute properly. He was assisted by Alex Sotirov, a security researcher
    at VMware.

    Initially thwarting Macaulay's efforts was the recently released Service
    Pack 1 for Vista, which he had neglected to install when testing the
    Flash exploit in the days leading up to the contest. Per the contest
    rules, each target machine had to be fully patched, and when the
    researcher first ran the code during the competition, new page
    protections added by Microsoft's security team prevented the exploit
    from properly executing.

    "They had done some stuff in Vista to prohibit this form of attack from
    being successful on third party software," Macaulay said minutes after
    he finally commandeered the Fujitsu U810 laptop. "We had to do some
    porting to get around that issue."

    Macaulay and Sotirov fashioned some javascript to circumvent the new
    measure, a feat that effectively allows them "to render that protection
    ineffective," Macaulay said.

    It also allows them to pocket a $5,000 bounty from Tipping Point's Zero
    Day Initiative and keep the pricey Fujitsu laptop. Macaulay said he
    would probably sell the machine, which he and Sotirov autographed with a
    black Sharpie pen, on eBay.

    Under contest rules, qualifying exploits on day one had to target
    default installations of the operating system itself and winners were
    allowed to walk away with the hacked box and a $20,000 bounty. Contest
    organizers gradually expanded the eligible attack surface on days two
    and three by allowing an vulnerabilities in an increasing number of
    third party applications. The bounty dropped to $10,000 on day 2 and
    $5,000 on day three. No one bothered competing on day one.

    Plenty of commentators have made hay of the MacBook Pro being the first
    to exit the race, and Linux zealots are sure to conclude the contest
    results prove the superiority of that platform. Maybe. But that's not
    how it looks to Macaulay, who says with a few hours of tweaking, his
    exploit will also work on OS X and Linux.

    The better take-away is that exploits like these are a fact of life for
    everyone no matter what kind of machine they choose (are you listening,
    Mac Guy?). Another lesson: just as quickly as Microsoft or any other
    developer adds new measures like page protection to their code base,
    hackers, ethical and otherwise, are find ways to work around them.

    "Nobody can do anything about it, because you're always going to be
    installing something" that will bypass security, Macaulay, who wore torn
    blue jeans and a Puma jogging jacket, said with a shrug. "If it's not
    Java, it'll be something else." ®

    nospam, Mar 29, 2008

  2. Yea, but due to a vulnerability in Flash, not Microsoft's code. And OSX was
    gone in ~ 2 minutes...

    Yes, Linux is very secure, but that report isn't all that bad for Windows.

    --

    Dustin Harper

    Dustin Harper, Mar 30, 2008

  3. nospam

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <47eed7c8$0$30700$> nospam
    <> wrote:

    >Plenty of commentators have made hay of the MacBook Pro being the first
    >to exit the race, and Linux zealots are sure to conclude the contest
    >results prove the superiority of that platform. Maybe. But that's not
    >how it looks to Macaulay, who says with a few hours of tweaking, his
    >exploit will also work on OS X and Linux.

    This is really the crux of it, all three OSes survived at the core
    level, OSX fell due to built-in software, without the user authorizing
    specific software installation.

    News that third party software might have vulnerabilities that can
    compromise the user account running the software isn't really news at
    all -- If day #3 is included, day #4 should be "hack the machine with
    the administrator/root password and physical access"

    DevilsPGD, Mar 30, 2008
  4. nospam

    Howard Swope Guest

    I understand that if you unplug a linux machine it will continue to work,
    where both the Mac and Windows machine require power...

    Howard Swope, Mar 30, 2008
  5. nospam

    Zootal Guest

    It's better then that. When the power goes off, my linux machine powers my
    entire house :D

    Zootal, Mar 30, 2008
  6. nospam

    Chris Cowles Guest

    Chris Cowles, Mar 30, 2008
  7. nospam

    Guest

    On Mar 29, 6:45 pm, "Dustin Harper" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > exit the race, and Linux zealots are sure to conclude the contest results
    > > prove the superiority of that platform. Maybe. But that's not how it looks
    > > to Macaulay, who says with a few hours of tweaking, his exploit will also
    > > work on OS X and Linux.

    > > The better take-away is that exploits like these are a fact of life for
    > > everyone no matter what kind of machine they choose (are you listening,
    > > Mac Guy?). Another lesson: just as quickly as Microsoft or any other
    > > developer adds new measures like page protection to their code base,
    > > hackers, ethical and otherwise, are find ways to work around them.

    > > "Nobody can do anything about it, because you're always going to be
    > > installing something" that will bypass security, Macaulay, who wore torn
    > > blue jeans and a Puma jogging jacket, said with a shrug. "If it's not

    I really wish there was a way to stop websites from using flash. I
    can't think of a more useless program, not to mention it is
    proprietary. I use firefox to block flash since many websites are
    using flash for adverts.

    , Mar 31, 2008
  8. nospam

    John Barnes Guest

    Just use IE64. Except for the nag message at the top of the screen, it works
    fine.

    John Barnes, Mar 31, 2008
  9. nospam

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message
    <>
    wrote:

    >I really wish there was a way to stop websites from using flash.

    Don't install Flash and you'll find the problem goes away.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 1, 2008