    My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is beginning
    to go south, or just normal wear and tear?
    elaich, Apr 5, 2006

  2. elaich

    beenthere Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    > sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    > beginning
    > to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    Windows might not have repaired them.
    It just marks them not to be used.
    It`s the beginning of the end, when bad sectors start showing up.
    Backup whatever you want to keep ! Or you`ll be crying that you`ve
    lost all your stuff. Do It now.
    beenthere, Apr 5, 2006

  3. elaich

    old man Guest

    Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

    old man, Apr 5, 2006
  4. elaich

    Plato Guest

    elaich wrote:

    > My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    > sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is beginning
    > to go south,

    Yes.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 5, 2006
  5. elaich

    elaich Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
    win.ntli.net:

    > Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

    Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
    trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
    another drive, though.

    My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but this
    computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you supposed to
    use it otherwise?
    elaich, Apr 5, 2006
  6. elaich

    beenthere Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "old man" <> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
    > win.ntli.net:
    >
    >> Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

    > Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
    > trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
    > another drive, though.
    >
    > My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but this
    > computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you supposed
    > use it otherwise?

    Treat yourself to a floppy drive elaich.
    beenthere, Apr 5, 2006
  7. elaich

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    elaich spewed forth:
    > "old man" <> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
    > win.ntli.net:
    >
    >> Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web
    >> site

    > Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
    > trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
    > another drive, though.
    >
    > My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but
    > this computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you
    > supposed to use it otherwise?

    Get their ISO version. Make a CD.

    <http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/All%20Downloads&downloadID=113>

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 5, 2006
  8. elaich

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    elaich spewed forth:
    > My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    > sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    > beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    Not necessarily. The drive may have had bad sectors from the day it was
    made. But if they were in unused space, Windows may not have ever known
    about them until now.

    Granted, bad sectors on new hard drives aren't as common as they were a few
    years ago, when many drives shipped with a few. I've ran drives for several
    years after Windows marked a few sectors as bad, with no ill results.

    Like has been suggested, backup the data, and run the HD's manufacturer's
    utility to determine the status of the drive.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 5, 2006
  9. elaich

    I.F. Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > elaich spewed forth:
    >> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    >> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    >> beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    > Not necessarily. The drive may have had bad sectors from the day it was
    > made. But if they were in unused space, Windows may not have ever known
    > about them until now.
    >
    > Granted, bad sectors on new hard drives aren't as common as they were a
    > few years ago, when many drives shipped with a few. I've ran drives for
    > several years after Windows marked a few sectors as bad, with no ill
    > results.
    >
    > Like has been suggested, backup the data, and run the HD's manufacturer's
    > utility to determine the status of the drive.
    >
    > --
    > My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    > God and I didn't.

    Someone in the hard drive refurb' trade told me that all high density drives
    have some bad sectors, the data area is so vast that its impossible to
    manufacture with zero defects. He went on to explain that a new drive
    appears to show zero defects because any defects present are mapped out
    electronically, as I understood the explanation, the locations of any
    defects found are stored in a EEPROM on the drives logic board and the drive
    no longer uses these locations. Obviously the EEPROM has a size limit, and
    when this limit is reached i.e. any new defects become apparent to the OS,
    the drive should be considered due for replacement!
    I.F., Apr 5, 2006
  10. elaich

    elaich Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in news:HCTYf.12401$NN4.8295@newsfe7-
    win.ntli.net:

    > Treat yourself to a floppy drive elaich.

    There's not even a socket on the mobo for one. My only option would be USB.
    elaich, Apr 5, 2006
  11. elaich

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:vRVYf.12431$,
    I.F. spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> elaich spewed forth:
    >>> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2
    >>> bad sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive
    >>> is beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    >> Not necessarily. The drive may have had bad sectors from the day it
    >> was made. But if they were in unused space, Windows may not have
    >> ever known about them until now.
    >>
    >> Granted, bad sectors on new hard drives aren't as common as they
    >> were a few years ago, when many drives shipped with a few. I've ran
    >> drives for several years after Windows marked a few sectors as bad,
    >> with no ill results.
    >>
    >> Like has been suggested, backup the data, and run the HD's
    >> manufacturer's utility to determine the status of the drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she
    >> was God and I didn't.
    >>

    > Someone in the hard drive refurb' trade told me that all high density
    > drives have some bad sectors, the data area is so vast that its
    > impossible to manufacture with zero defects. He went on to explain
    > that a new drive appears to show zero defects because any defects
    > present are mapped out electronically, as I understood the
    > explanation, the locations of any defects found are stored in a
    > EEPROM on the drives logic board and the drive no longer uses these
    > locations. Obviously the EEPROM has a size limit, and when this limit
    > is reached i.e. any new defects become apparent to the OS, the drive
    > should be considered due for replacement!

    That may be true, but just because the OS has found the new defects it
    doesn't mean the limit is reached, it only means that the OS has found
    another bad sector and added it to the bad sector table. At least that was
    my understanding. Even so, a half a dozen extra bad sectors isn't the
    issue - the problem is if daily use persists in locating more bad sectors.
    So a good scan with the drive manufacturer's diagnostics is much better at
    determining the real state of the drive. And of course, monitoring the
    situation for a few weeks, even if the diagnostics say the drive is good,
    would be the smart path to follow.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 6, 2006
  12. elaich

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    > sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    > beginning
    > to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    Bad sectors is like cancer tumors; they spread until the body is eaten up.
    Time for a new hard drive. Bad sectors are not "repaired;" they are merely
    set to the back of the disk and marked as unusable.
    PuppyKatt, Apr 6, 2006
  13. PuppyKatt wrote:

    > "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    >> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    >> beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    > Bad sectors is like cancer tumors; they spread until the body is
    > eaten up. Time for a new hard drive. Bad sectors are not "repaired;"
    > they are merely set to the back of the disk and marked as unusable.

    I always thought bad sectors were bad physical spots on the disk, and
    remained where they were. Enlighten me if that's wrong.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 6, 2006
  14. elaich

    SgtMinor Guest

    elaich wrote:

    > My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    > sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is beginning
    > to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    Not necessarily. These sectors may be reported as bad because the
    R/W head no longer floats directly above the data. A program like
    SpinRite can set things right again by finding off-set data by
    manipulating the head and then rewriting that data directly
    beneath the head. A fantastic program but it costs more than a
    new hard drive. http://www.grc.com
    SgtMinor, Apr 6, 2006
  15. elaich

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 02:47:56 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >PuppyKatt wrote:
    >
    >> "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    >>> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    >>> beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    >> Bad sectors is like cancer tumors; they spread until the body is
    >> eaten up. Time for a new hard drive. Bad sectors are not "repaired;"
    >> they are merely set to the back of the disk and marked as unusable.

    >I always thought bad sectors were bad physical spots on the disk, and
    >remained where they were. Enlighten me if that's wrong.

    It is - and it isn't. Nowadays hard drives can remap around bad sectors, and a
    certain amount of hdd space is set aside for exactly that. What *that*
    essentially means is that when you accumulate enough bad sectors that you start
    to *see* them, you'd better be thinking about getting a new drive while you can
    still copy the contents of the old one.

    --
    Don't irritate geeks ... They don't have a life and if you make
    them mad enough they will make *you* their life ... And they
    Mara, Apr 6, 2006
  16. elaich

    fred-bloggs Guest

    fred-bloggs, Apr 7, 2006
  17. elaich

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:4436379d$0$16012$,
    fred-bloggs spewed forth:
    > elaich <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2 bad
    >> sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive is
    >> beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=1

    Great article, Fred - thanks!

    Toolman Tim, Apr 8, 2006
  18. elaich

    ellis_jay Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:4436379d$0$16012$,
    > fred-bloggs spewed forth:
    >> elaich <> wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> My 40 gig Maxtor is about 2 years old. Yesterday, Windows found 2
    >>> bad sectors on it and repaired them. Is this a sign that the drive
    >>> is beginning to go south, or just normal wear and tear?

    >> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=1

    > Great article, Fred - thanks!

    Double fuquen-ditto!!

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 8, 2006
  19. Howdy!

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "old man" <> wrote in news:_BRYf.33$D7.21@newsfe3-
    > win.ntli.net:
    >
    > > Going South, use the free checking utility available on Maxtor web site

    > Oh, it's definitely going bad. It's making clicking noises and having
    > trouble finding files. I managed to get all of my data transferred to
    > another drive, though.
    >
    > My question is this: I know about Powermax, have used it before, but this
    > computer does not have a floppy drive. How in the world are you supposed

    > use it otherwise?

    Use the ISO version, and burn it to a CD, and boot off the CD?

    Or take that 40G, toss it, and get a new drive B)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 8, 2006