Bad Sectors on a DVD-RW??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robert Peirce, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. I copied a Tivo recording to a DVD-RW using a LiteOn recorder. I played
    it back to test it and it was okay. I loaded it on my mac -- same
    thing. Then I used MacTheRipper to transfer the image to the HD for
    further processing. During the transfer, MRT said two VOBs had
    "intentionally" bad sectors; I padded them. This happened twice, so I
    don't think it was a bad DVD-RW. MRT said the resulting image might not
    play.

    Once I had the transfer done I used myDVDEdit to modify it and tested it
    with iDVD. It hung around the point where the padding would have
    occurred.

    I can see how this might happen with a digital recording, but the
    transfer was 480i over a composite line with S-Video. How is that
    possible and what do I need to do about it?

    The show I was trying to transfer to DVD is playing again later this
    month and I am going to record it again in case the problem is somehow
    with the original recording. However, I am at a loss as to why the Tivo
    and DVD copy would play with no problem while the transfer has problems.

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

    Robert Peirce, Apr 4, 2006