    old drive due to some data instead of just doing a clean install.

    Thanks

    --
    Bam, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Bam

    Chet Guest

    The reported bad sectors are the result of copying the bad sector list from
    the old drive. The sectors aren't really being made "bad". Can't you just
    copy the data you need after clean installing the OS?
    "Bam" <> wrote in message
    > I've purchased a new hard drive because my old one had bad sectors. I used
    > Drive Copy 2002 and all is well except the new drive now has bad sectors.

    > reformatted the new drive and did a clean install of Win98 and there are

    no
    > bad sectors. Formatted the drive again and used Drive Image 2002 once

    again
    > to clone the drive, and the bad sectors are back. Can anyone offer a fix

    or
    > explanation? The new drive (Maxtor IDE) only shows bad sectors if I image
    > the old drive. Are the bad sectors being copied? I really need to clone

    the

    Chet, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Bam

    Jerry S Guest

    I wish I could do a clean install. The PC belongs to a business that did not
    back up client data. Is there anyway to fix the bad sector list?

    Thanks

    Jerry S, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Bam

    Thor Guest

    Use Norton Ghost. It will clone without copying the marked bad sector list
    to the new drive. That being said, there should be some way to configure
    DriveCopy to do the same. Check the documentation of your software.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Bam

    Jerry S Guest

    Thanks Thor, should I use the -IA switch when I use Ghost?

    Thanks again

    Jerry S, Nov 27, 2003
  6. Bam

    Thor Guest

    Well, I don't have my Ghost manual handy, nor remember what that particular
    switch does, but if it's the one that forces Ghost to ignore bad sectors on
    the source drive, then yes, you should use it, or Ghost will stop on each
    bad sector it runs across.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Bam

    Jerry S Guest

    The -IA switch specifies a Sector by Sector copy. I cannot find any switch
    that ignores bad sectors unless Ghost does this by default.

    Thanks once again

    Jerry S, Nov 27, 2003
  8. Bam

    Jerry S Guest

    Just found a Bad Sector retest utility on Partition Magic. It worked great.
    I've simply never ran across this problem before.
    Thanks Thor, you have helped me on a number of occasions in the past.

    Jerry S, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Bam

    Thor Guest

    Ok, you forced me to find my Ghost manual. :) The command-line switch to
    ignore read errors is "-bfc". But I believe it only works with FAT-based
    files systems.

    Thor, Nov 28, 2003