Bad Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcp6453, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
    When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
    Windows 2000. Same problem. Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
    unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
    same problem. All that leaves is the power supply and the motherboard. I
    also tried a Promise IDE controller, no luck. Anything I haven't thought
    of, before I trash the machine? A replacement motherboard is not
    available.
     
    mcp6453, Feb 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mcp6453

    Chris Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
    > When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    > machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
    > Windows 2000. Same problem. Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
    > unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
    > same problem. All that leaves is the power supply and the motherboard. I
    > also tried a Promise IDE controller, no luck. Anything I haven't thought
    > of, before I trash the machine? A replacement motherboard is not
    > available.


    Sounds like a board problem to me.
     
    Chris, Feb 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mcp6453

    Chris Guest

    When I say "board problem", it might be worth it to have the board looked
    at, before junking the whole thing. Even if a replacement isn't available,
    a repair/rebuild might be an option. Don't go trashing a mobo that only
    might need a $10 part.

    Besides, getting into the innards of a pc might give you some new insight
    into their repair for next time such a problem occurs.
     
    Chris, Feb 13, 2004
    #3
  4. mcp6453

    mark mandel Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
    > When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    > machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
    > Windows 2000. Same problem. Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
    > unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
    > same problem. All that leaves is the power supply and the motherboard. I
    > also tried a Promise IDE controller, no luck. Anything I haven't thought
    > of, before I trash the machine? A replacement motherboard is not
    > available.


    Maybe a cpu problem? Replace it and see what happens.
     
    mark mandel, Feb 13, 2004
    #4
  5. mcp6453

    Rob-J Guest

    The very first thing I always do when setting up a new system is to run a
    memory test. The program I run is memtest-86 and can be downloaded for free
    off their website. I believe it is www.memtest86.com
     
    Rob-J, Feb 13, 2004
    #5
  6. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in news:ar7Xb.2563$tL3.1017
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > Maybe a cpu problem? Replace it and see what happens.
    >


    I would have to say that in a situation where it is either a bad board or a
    bad CPU, 90%+ of the time it is the board. CPUs very rarely fail unless
    they've been pushed beyond their limits (overclocking) or their heatsink
    and fan have stopped cooling correctly and they burnt out.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
     
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 13, 2004
    #6
  7. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:51:26 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
    >When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    >machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
    >Windows 2000. Same problem.


    If you installed the new drive and w2k on that same mainboard, it can
    hardly be the mainboard. You have a different problem.

    >Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
    >unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
    >same problem.


    WHAT same problem?...the bar graph on w2k start? How can you see this
    with no video card?


    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
     
    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
    #7
  8. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Trent© wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:51:26 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
    > >When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    > >machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
    > >Windows 2000. Same problem.

    >
    > If you installed the new drive and w2k on that same mainboard, it can
    > hardly be the mainboard. You have a different problem.


    Tried a new power supply. No joy.

    > >Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
    > >unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
    > >same problem.

    >
    > WHAT same problem?...the bar graph on w2k start? How can you see this
    > with no video card?


    Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
    Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
    video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
    it must be the problem.

    Oh, well.
     
    mcp6453, Feb 14, 2004
    #8
  9. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    > Trent© wrote:
    > >
    > > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:51:26 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have an IBM 6579-A4U computer (PIII 500 MHz) running Windows 2000.
    > > >When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    > > >machine freezes. So, I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled
    > > >Windows 2000. Same problem.

    > >
    > > If you installed the new drive and w2k on that same mainboard, it can
    > > hardly be the mainboard. You have a different problem.

    >
    > Tried a new power supply. No joy.
    >
    > > >Tried a new memory stick. Still does it. I
    > > >unplugged all peripherals (PCI video card, CDROM, floppy, network card),
    > > >same problem.

    > >
    > > WHAT same problem?...the bar graph on w2k start? How can you see this
    > > with no video card?

    >
    > Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
    > Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
    > video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
    > it must be the problem.
    >
    > Oh, well.



    Now the computer just reboots each time it gets to the Windows startup
    screen.
     
    mcp6453, Feb 14, 2004
    #9
  10. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:18:53 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
    >Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
    >video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
    >it must be the problem.
    >
    >Oh, well.


    I don't recall seeing where you got into the BIOS...to check the
    settings.


    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
     
    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
    #10
  11. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
    > Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
    > video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
    > it must be the problem.
    >


    No, I know /exactly/ what the problem is. Reinstall 2000, and this time
    when it says Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers, press F7 (I think, it
    may be F5 or F8), and pick to install a "Standard PC" instead of an "ACPI"
    machine. You should also be able to tell 2000 to boot to safe mode (your
    current install) and it should work fine, just go to device manager and
    click "Computer", "ACPI Uniprocessor Machine" and update driver to Standard
    PC.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
     
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 14, 2004
    #11
  12. mcp6453

    Ben Down Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    news:7P4Xb.217484$...
    >
    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > news:...

    "When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    machine freezes".

    I had the very same on a smiular spec machine - drove me crazy. Traced to a
    faulty dvd rom drive in the end - just pop the plug out of that before
    condeming it....
     
    Ben Down, Feb 14, 2004
    #12
  13. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Ben Down wrote:
    >
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > news:7P4Xb.217484$...
    > >
    > > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...

    > "When it boots, the bar graph moves about 3/4 of the way across, and the
    > machine freezes".
    >
    > I had the very same on a smiular spec machine - drove me crazy. Traced to a
    > faulty dvd rom drive in the end - just pop the plug out of that before
    > condeming it....



    Already did that. No joy. Thanks.
     
    mcp6453, Feb 14, 2004
    #13
  14. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >
    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
    > > Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
    > > video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
    > > it must be the problem.
    > >

    >
    > No, I know /exactly/ what the problem is. Reinstall 2000, and this time
    > when it says Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers, press F7 (I think, it
    > may be F5 or F8), and pick to install a "Standard PC" instead of an "ACPI"
    > machine. You should also be able to tell 2000 to boot to safe mode (your
    > current install) and it should work fine, just go to device manager and
    > click "Computer", "ACPI Uniprocessor Machine" and update driver to Standard
    > PC.


    Why would this procedure be needed for a computer that his been running
    Windows 2000 successfully for two years? If this procedure works,
    wouldn't it be a work around for something that has failed somewhere?
     
    mcp6453, Feb 14, 2004
    #14
  15. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:38:00 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Yes, the computer locks up when it gets to the bar graph on the opening
    >> Windows screen. I removed the GeForce video card and used the on-board
    >> video "card". I have now tried everything except a new motherboard, so
    >> it must be the problem.
    >>

    >
    >No, I know /exactly/ what the problem is. Reinstall 2000, and this time
    >when it says Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers, press F7 (I think, it
    >may be F5 or F8), and pick to install a "Standard PC" instead of an "ACPI"
    >machine. You should also be able to tell 2000 to boot to safe mode (your
    >current install) and it should work fine, just go to device manager and
    >click "Computer", "ACPI Uniprocessor Machine" and update driver to Standard
    >PC.


    It'd be just as easy to simply go into the BIOS and make the change
    there.


    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
     
    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
    #15
  16. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in
    news::

    > It'd be just as easy to simply go into the BIOS and make the change
    > there.


    There is no change to make there. I had this happen with two different
    boards in the past three months. I don't know why.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
     
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 14, 2004
    #16
  17. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Why would this procedure be needed for a computer that his been running
    > Windows 2000 successfully for two years? If this procedure works,
    > wouldn't it be a work around for something that has failed somewhere?
    >


    Ask the Abit K7T RAID, and Intel 440BX boards on my workbench right now.
    Working fine before, upon reinstall they refused to work unless I changed
    them to standard PC. Give it a shot.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
     
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 14, 2004
    #17
  18. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >
    > Ask the Abit K7T RAID, and Intel 440BX boards on my workbench right now.
    > Working fine before, upon reinstall they refused to work unless I changed
    > them to standard PC. Give it a shot.



    Ok, I tried it twice, and no go. The computer still reboots at the point
    the "Starting Windows..." page pops up. Here's what I've tried:

    New hard drive
    New memory
    New processor
    New power supply
    Remove all non-essential peripherals
    Working hard drive (boots fine on identical computer)

    All that is left, that I can see, is the motherboard. What troubles me
    is that SOMETHING in Windows is causing the motherboard to tank at the
    same point each time. What happens in Windows when the "Starting
    Windows..." bar graph is half way across?

    Thanks for all the suggestions.
     
    mcp6453, Feb 15, 2004
    #18
  19. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > All that is left, that I can see, is the motherboard. What troubles me
    > is that SOMETHING in Windows is causing the motherboard to tank at the
    > same point each time. What happens in Windows when the "Starting
    > Windows..." bar graph is half way across?


    It probes for devices.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
     
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 15, 2004
    #19
  20. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > >
    > > Ask the Abit K7T RAID, and Intel 440BX boards on my workbench right now.
    > > Working fine before, upon reinstall they refused to work unless I

    changed
    > > them to standard PC. Give it a shot.

    >
    >
    > Ok, I tried it twice, and no go. The computer still reboots at the point
    > the "Starting Windows..." page pops up. Here's what I've tried:
    >
    > New hard drive
    > New memory
    > New processor
    > New power supply
    > Remove all non-essential peripherals
    > Working hard drive (boots fine on identical computer)
    >
    > All that is left, that I can see, is the motherboard. What troubles me
    > is that SOMETHING in Windows is causing the motherboard to tank at the
    > same point each time. What happens in Windows when the "Starting
    > Windows..." bar graph is half way across?
    >
    > Thanks for all the suggestions.



    If it at least boots windows in safe mode, it's not your board. A DOS
    diagnostic disc is what you should be using.

    Besides that, are you sure that the parts you swapped out are working OR
    compatible with the box in question???
     
    Michael-NC, Feb 15, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Adam Stoffel

    Bad Motherboard?

    Adam Stoffel, Jul 7, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    759
    Buffalo
    Jul 7, 2004
  2. Replies:
    12
    Views:
    3,088
    Michael Alan Chary
    Feb 23, 2005
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    549
  4. John

    Bad media, bad files or bad Nero?

    John, Dec 31, 2007, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    1,289
    Keith
    Jan 8, 2008
  5. sub
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    2,679
    SteveM
    Jun 26, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page