    buy another motherboard?

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Stoffel, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Adam Stoffel

    philo Guest

    "Adam Stoffel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I have a problem that occurs in Windows XP Home when I boot it on a

    computer
    > I built myself. It restarts after I boot it. I see something blue (never
    > good) flash and the screen, and then it just restarts. This always

    happens
    > without fail. I believe I have narrowed it down to either the motherboard
    > or processor. I replaced the power supply, but that didn't help. I know
    > its not the HDD because I've used it on another PC. I've tried it without
    > any extras (CD, FDD, NIC's, USB devices), but nothing helps. Will I have

    > buy another motherboard?

    probably not a bad motherboard...

    try a repair installation
    philo, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Adam Stoffel

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Adam Stoffel" <> wrote in message
    >| Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >|
    >| I have a problem that occurs in Windows XP Home when I boot it on a
    >| computer I built myself. It restarts after I boot it. I see
    >| something blue (never good) flash and the screen, and then it just
    >| restarts. This always happens without fail. I believe I have
    >| narrowed it down to either the motherboard or processor. I replaced
    >| the power supply, but that didn't help. I know its not the HDD
    >| because I've used it on another PC. I've tried it without any
    >| extras (CD, FDD, NIC's, USB devices), but nothing helps. Will I
    >| have to buy another motherboard?
    >|
    >| Thanks,
    >| Adam

    Have you tried booting into safe mode? If you can do that, then turn off the
    automatic restart if it's on - right-click on My Computer, select
    Properties. Click on Advanced, then Startup and Recovery. About halfway
    down, under System Failure is an optin for "Automatically restart. If
    there's a checkmark, remove it. Then you can read what the blue screen
    says...may be helpful in determining what the problem is.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 7, 2004
  4. Adam Stoffel

    ICee Guest

    Adam Stoffel wrote:
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I have a problem that occurs in Windows XP Home when I boot it on a
    > computer I built myself. It restarts after I boot it. I see
    > something blue (never good) flash and the screen, and then it just
    > restarts. This always happens without fail. I believe I have
    > narrowed it down to either the motherboard or processor. I replaced
    > the power supply, but that didn't help. I know its not the HDD
    > because I've used it on another PC. I've tried it without any extras
    > (CD, FDD, NIC's, USB devices), but nothing helps. Will I have to buy
    > another motherboard?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Adam

    It's not a hardware problem. The installation is damaged and you need
    to do a repair install. Instructions at this link.
    ICee, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Adam Stoffel

    m Guest

    Adam Stoffel wrote:

    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I have a problem that occurs in Windows XP
    > Home when I boot it on a computer
    > I built myself. It restarts after I boot it.
    > I see something blue (never
    > good) flash and the screen, and then it just
    > restarts. This always happens
    > without fail. I believe I have narrowed it
    > down to either the motherboard
    > or processor. I replaced the power supply,
    > but that didn't help. I know
    > its not the HDD because I've used it on
    > another PC. I've tried it without
    > any extras (CD, FDD, NIC's, USB devices), but
    > nothing helps. Will I have to buy another
    > motherboard?

    Before replacing a mom board, at least try to
    boot with a Live CD operating system -- one
    that boots and runs from a CD. Puppy Linux,
    Mandrake Move, Slax, Knoppix, Rescue is
    Possible, and Damn Small Linux come to mind.
    These require no install onto the hard disk.
    If any of these will work right, then your Mom
    board is less probably at fault, and you should
    look further into software or other
    non-mom-board problems.
    m, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Adam Stoffel

    Buffalo Guest

    Recheck all jumpers and connections on the motherboard.
    It's possible that a jumper is wrong or a connector is backwards or on the
    wrong pins.
    You could also try a newsgroup that discusses your brand of motherboard for
    better assistance.
    Possibly try emailing the MB mfg.
    Try just one stick of ram and also reseat the vid card and the cpu heatsink.

    Buffalo, Jul 7, 2004