bad motherboard, maybe??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Jason Peavey, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Jason Peavey

    Jason Peavey Guest

    Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and now
    I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate. However,
    even though you might not know much about server software, this is
    potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
    newsgroup.

    My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it. Onboard
    audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to disable them,
    installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem solved.

    Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I was
    studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1 and
    Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I was
    never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't matter,
    because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk 1.
    OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
    options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
    Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP successfully,
    80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot menu
    it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this problem,
    oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives and from the
    motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or faulty cable,
    which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.

    Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
    operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
    installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
    device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no explanation of
    why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is definitely
    a hardware issue.

    Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been tested,
    and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran successfully
    without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also tested. Let me
    also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware detection as
    Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for compatibility.

    Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard features
    failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed" message?????
     
    Jason Peavey, Oct 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jason Peavey

    Bob Guest

    Jason Peavey wrote:
    > Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and now
    > I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate. However,
    > even though you might not know much about server software, this is
    > potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
    > newsgroup.
    >
    > My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it. Onboard
    > audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to disable them,
    > installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem solved.
    >
    > Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I was
    > studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1 and
    > Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I was
    > never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't matter,
    > because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk 1.
    > OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
    > options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
    > Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP successfully,
    > 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot menu
    > it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this problem,
    > oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives and from the
    > motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or faulty cable,
    > which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.
    >
    > Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
    > operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
    > installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
    > device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no explanation of
    > why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is definitely
    > a hardware issue.
    >
    > Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been tested,
    > and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran successfully
    > without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also tested. Let me
    > also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware detection as
    > Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for compatibility.
    >
    > Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard features
    > failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed" message?????
    >
    >


    Why are you posting a (potential) hardware problem on the A+ forum?
     
    Bob, Oct 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jason Peavey

    David Hough Guest

    Are you running an 80 conductor cable, both drives set to cable select?
    pin 1 on the stripe at all three connections?
     
    David Hough, Oct 26, 2005
    #3
  4. On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:31:23 GMT, Bob <> wrote:

    >Jason Peavey wrote:
    >> Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and now
    >> I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate. However,
    >> even though you might not know much about server software, this is
    >> potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
    >> newsgroup.


    Maybe not the best, but...
    >
    >Why are you posting a (potential) hardware problem on the A+ forum?


    Because A+ candidates will be ultimately working on them?

    People post computer-related problems on the electronics related
    groups all the time, and they are usually well-recieved by most.

    Next, we'll be down to
    relationship-solving.for.red-haired.girls.with.tall.left-handed.boyfriends.who.
    work.as.musicians... :)

    Tom
     
    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 28, 2005
    #4
  5. Jason Peavey

    Jason Peavey Guest

    "David Hough" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > Are you running an 80 conductor cable, both drives set to cable select?
    > pin 1 on the stripe at all three connections?


    I've been able to boot with both of them configured properly, pins cables
    and everything. DOS on primary master and Windows XP on primary slave. When
    I've turned the PC on it will ask which I'd like to boot to. Occassionally,
    but not often, it will give me a boot error. But as stated in my original
    post, I've even tried eliminating XP and the second disk, and Novell Netware
    still won't install using DOS due to a device failure. Now of course, this
    could be anything, really, but aside from having boot problems, my
    motherboard's onboard LAN and audio neither work. So I've begun to think my
    motherboard is the problem. I've sent it away for a replacement which should
    arrive next week and I'll let everyone know what's going on.
     
    Jason Peavey, Nov 3, 2005
    #5
  6. Jason Peavey

    Jason Peavey Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:vAp7f.23958$...
    > Jason Peavey wrote:
    > > Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and

    now
    > > I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate.

    However,
    > > even though you might not know much about server software, this is
    > > potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
    > > newsgroup.
    > >
    > > My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it.

    Onboard
    > > audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to disable

    them,
    > > installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem solved.
    > >
    > > Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I

    was
    > > studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1

    and
    > > Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I

    was
    > > never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't

    matter,
    > > because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk

    1.
    > > OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
    > > options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
    > > Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP

    successfully,
    > > 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot

    menu
    > > it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this

    problem,
    > > oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives and from

    the
    > > motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or faulty

    cable,
    > > which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.
    > >
    > > Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
    > > operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
    > > installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
    > > device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no

    explanation of
    > > why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is

    definitely
    > > a hardware issue.
    > >
    > > Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been

    tested,
    > > and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran

    successfully
    > > without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also tested.

    Let me
    > > also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware detection as
    > > Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for

    compatibility.
    > >
    > > Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard

    features
    > > failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed"

    message?????
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Why are you posting a (potential) hardware problem on the A+ forum?


    When you fail the core exam, I guess you'll find out ;)
     
    Jason Peavey, Nov 3, 2005
    #6
  7. Jason Peavey

    Jason Peavey Guest

    Just thought everyone might like to know that it WAS, in fact, the
    motherboard. Swapped it and everything is super now.
     
    Jason Peavey, Nov 9, 2005
    #7
  8. Jason Peavey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Jason Peavey wrote:

    > Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and
    > now I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate.
    > However, even though you might not know much about server software, this
    > is potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
    > newsgroup.
    >
    > My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it.
    > Onboard audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to
    > disable them, installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem
    > solved.
    >
    > Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I was
    > studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1 and
    > Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I was
    > never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't matter,
    > because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk 1.
    > OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
    > options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
    > Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP successfully,
    > 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot menu
    > it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this
    > problem, oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives
    > and from the motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or
    > faulty cable, which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.
    >
    > Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
    > operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
    > installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
    > device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no explanation
    > of why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is
    > definitely a hardware issue.
    >
    > Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been
    > tested, and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran
    > successfully without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also
    > tested. Let me also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware
    > detection as Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for
    > compatibility.
    >
    > Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard
    > features failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed"
    > message?????


    If the RAM is ECC, I'd swap it out for Crucial first, and ECC if the baord
    supports it--flaky RAM can look like just about _anything_.

    Beyond that, do the Netware IDE drivers support the chipset on that board?
    If not, it's not going to be able to access the drive, hence the device
    failure. It's a common misconception that Novell runs on top of DOS and
    accesses the disks through the DOS calls--it doesn't, it uses DOS for a
    boot loader but does not make use of any part of DOS once it has loaded.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
     
    J. Clarke, Nov 26, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Old Gringo

    Of Intrest ? Maybe Yes, Maybe No

    Old Gringo, Oct 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    607
    Old Gringo
    Oct 11, 2004
  2. Replies:
    12
    Views:
    3,139
    Michael Alan Chary
    Feb 23, 2005
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    563
  4. John

    Bad media, bad files or bad Nero?

    John, Dec 31, 2007, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    1,320
    Keith
    Jan 8, 2008
  5. iL_weReo

    Maybe it will; maybe it won't

    iL_weReo, Oct 11, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    558
    Desk Rabbit
    Oct 13, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page