    haven't updated my drivers in a while, but I didn't think that would
    have this kind of effect. Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.

    c|b

    Stars Fan, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Stars Fan

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Stars Fan said:

    > I was wondering if my monitor or my video card might be going bad.
    > The picture on the monitor is dark...especially while playing games or
    > movie clips, but I have the Brightness and Contrast all the way up. I
    > have a Mag Innovision monitor with a Diamond Stealth video card. I
    > haven't updated my drivers in a while, but I didn't think that would
    > have this kind of effect. Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > c|b

    Yes it could be the monitor or video card, seeing as it's a video problem.
    As the brightness & contrast are part of the monitor, which one do *you* think
    is faulty?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Stars Fan

    Michael Guest

    In news:,
    Stars Fan <> wrote:

    > I was wondering if my monitor or my video card might be going bad.
    > The picture on the monitor is dark...especially while playing games or
    > movie clips, but I have the Brightness and Contrast all the way up. I
    > have a Mag Innovision monitor with a Diamond Stealth video card. I
    > haven't updated my drivers in a while, but I didn't think that would
    > have this kind of effect. Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > c|b

    Chances are slim that your Diamond is faulty if it works at all, so it's
    more likely your monitor doing this.

    The cheap way to test this (though it takes qute a few minutes) is:

    1) Turn your monitor off.

    2) Unplug your monitor from the wall and the computer.

    3) Turn your monitor back on and wait a few minutes before proceeding (there
    is stored charge at dangerous voltage that must be allowed do dissipate
    before you do the following.)

    4) Undo all the case screws on the monitor, and remove the case.

    5) Take the monitor to some place with lots of fresh air. (Seriously)

    6) Brush/blow all the dust (there will be a lot of it) from of all parts of
    the monitor... and that means *everything*... boards, wires, and
    free-standing components like the picture tube and any control
    buttons/knobs.

    7) Take it inside, put the case back on, fasten the screws where they were,
    plug it all back in like it was when you began, and turn it on.

    8) Fire the puter up and let everything settle in to normal operation.

    Better?

    If not, then you're no worse off than you started, and your monitor no
    longer so filthy inside that a service tech would spank you for bringing it
    in to his/her shop. :)

    ((U))
    Tag on medical equipment, circa 1987: "Fix this. It BEEPS!"

    Michael, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Stars Fan wrote:

    > I was wondering if my monitor or my video card might be going bad.
    > The picture on the monitor is dark...especially while playing games or
    > movie clips, but I have the Brightness and Contrast all the way up. I
    > have a Mag Innovision monitor with a Diamond Stealth video card. I
    > haven't updated my drivers in a while, but I didn't think that would
    > have this kind of effect. Could anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > c|b

    How old's the monitor? Chances are the jug is going flat.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 7, 2003