    used?

    --
    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, Jan 1, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    SBFan2000 Guest

    1. They are Maxtor HDD's and 2. I'm assuming the ebay purchase was a used
    drive? Always a no no. Don't buy used HDDs from ebay, you asking for it.
    Get a new Western Digital. 80G can be had for $40.

    I know I'll probably get flamed for the anti-maxtor thing but they are
    garbage drives. I see them fail about every three four days. Toshiba (I
    repair copiers for them) dropped maxtor about 18 months ago because they
    were having so much trouble. Maxtor refused to up the manufacturing
    standard so Toshiba dropped them and went to WD. We are still seeing the
    fallout because there are 10's of thousands of machines out there with
    maxtors. I replace them on, at least, a weekly basis.

    SBFan2000, Jan 1, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Mister Guest

    They can flame away, because I agree with you on Maxtors failing. I
    just disposed of a stack of those paper weights.

    Mister, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    Patrick Q Guest

    Hell, I appreciate the honesty!

    Patrick Q, Jan 2, 2007
  5. Dave Hardenbrook

    PM Guest

    Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
    > About four months ago I replaced a client's HDD which failed after a
    > power surge. I found an identical drive (Maxtor 30 GB) on EBay, in the
    > hopes I could salvage the data from the old drive by a switcheroo of the
    > circuit boards... It didn't work, so I switched the boards back,
    > installed the good drive from Ebay, and resotred her OS and
    > applications.
    >
    > But yesterday, *this* drive failed too! There was no power surge or
    > anything this time, it just died -- I'm getting that "clunk of death" at
    > startup, and no diagnostic software can detect the drive.
    >
    > What I'm wondering at this point is what would cause two identical HDD's
    > to fail in the same system? -- Is it just that this particular drive
    > model was a lemon, or might there be some other force at work, such a
    > bad mobo? (Can a non-fatally zapped mobo "kill" other components?)
    > Should I attempt to install another HDD in this system, whether new or
    > used?

    Maxtor drives of that vintage are not very good, in my experience. HP
    used to favor the 20GB versions in their business desktops, and I've
    seen a ridiculous amount of them fail in the past year. It's very
    doubtful that the motherboard is frying hard drives, unless other
    components are also breaking.

    I would recommend you replace the drive with a new Seagate or Western
    Digital drive. This one seems to be very highly-regarded:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144122

    PM, Jan 2, 2007