    Thanks,

    Stephen

    , Oct 23, 2007

  2. Ben Myers Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have a PSM53C-MX200E (Toshiba satellite M50-MX2) which I inherited
    > after someone flashed the bios, and corrupted it.
    > I am trying to figure out how to recover or reflash the bad bios. I
    > have googled and seen talk of a 'boot block' data on the bios that can
    > not be erased.
    > My question is how do I access it and how do I identify the bios
    > manufacturer or the boot block access key.
    > Please help, I want to use this notebook.

    See the following. Be advised you may have to use the "BIOS Key installation method".

    http://support.toshiba.ca/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-tsb000728.htm

    http://support.toshiba.ca/support/d...ook&model=Satellite M50&partnum=PSM53C-MX200E

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2007

  3. Phat Sam Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:25:59 -0400, "Ben Myers"
    <> wrote:

    >> I have a PSM53C-MX200E (Toshiba satellite M50-MX2) which I inherited
    >> after someone flashed the bios, and corrupted it.

    >See the following. Be advised you may have to use the "BIOS Key installation method".
    >
    >http://support.toshiba.ca/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-tsb000728.htm
    >
    >http://support.toshiba.ca/support/d...ook&model=Satellite M50&partnum=PSM53C-MX200E

    After looking at the first link, I see nothing that looks like it'd
    help with a bad flash. Granted, it tells you the most simple way of
    flashing a BIOS on a laptop, though anyone not familiar with that
    shouldn't have even tried to flash the laptop. (Perhaps why the
    laptop is now "dead") The reason he "Inherited" this laptop most
    likely is that he could very well spend as much or more than what the
    laptop cost new in obtaining a new BIOS for the laptop and on top of
    that, waste valuable time in the process. Some computers do have a
    jumper inside the computer that allow you to flash the BIOS once a bad
    flash has occured, but you'll have to open it up and most likely will
    need a copy of the manual for the notebook to know where the jumper is
    (*IF* it even has one.) To be honest, its really NOT a common thing
    and I can't say I've ever seen a motherboard that supports that
    feature.

    Phat Sam, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Guest

    Phat Sam <> wrote:

    >Some computers do have a
    >jumper inside the computer that allow you to flash the BIOS once a bad
    >flash has occured, but you'll have to open it up and most likely will
    >need a copy of the manual for the notebook to know where the jumper is
    >(*IF* it even has one.)

    Don't think that would work, as it clears the bios putting it into a
    default mode - yours being dead :{

    http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html
    The object is to short the power pin to the ground pin.
    --

    bubble wrap.
    http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

    , Oct 24, 2007
  5. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a PSM53C-MX200E (Toshiba satellite M50-MX2) which I inherited
    > after someone flashed the bios, and corrupted it.

    You may want to look for a free bios clearing util, all free.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 27, 2007
  6. Phat Sam Guest

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:26:05 -0700, wrote:

    > Phat Sam <> wrote:
    >
    >>Some computers do have a
    >>jumper inside the computer that allow you to flash the BIOS once a bad
    >>flash has occured, but you'll have to open it up and most likely will
    >>need a copy of the manual for the notebook to know where the jumper is
    >>(*IF* it even has one.)

    >Don't think that would work, as it clears the bios putting it into a
    >default mode - yours being dead :{

    I'm not referring to the CMOS Clock, I'm referring to the special
    Boot-Block CODE that some few motherboard are reported to having....
    As I said, I've yet to see a motherboard with one that supported it,
    but reports have said that all you do is move a jumper over and the
    computer switches to the special boot-block code that allows you to
    re-flash the BIOS using a floppy disk. It's supposed to be usefull
    for when you have a bad flash or if you get an extremely rare virus
    that can wipe out your flash eeprom chip.

    Phat Sam, Oct 29, 2007