    Is there a good, free program that will retrieve the stuff off that
    drive? Thanks for any suggestions.

    Eddie
    Eddie, Oct 24, 2007

  2. Eddie

    meerkat Guest

    "Eddie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Seems my Western Digital external 500 gig HD is acting up and/or may
    > have gone bad. Sometimes it shows up in My Computer, sometimes not.
    > When it does, I cannot acces any of the pix, music or video on it.
    > Can't momove or copy files from or to it. Have seen an I/O device
    > error, have googled it but still am not sure what it means. Scandisk
    > and Defrag won't start on the drive and I ran a WD utility I
    > downloaded a few months back when I had the same problem that was
    > supposed to find and repair bad sectors. Worked then, but not now.
    > I'd
    > hate to lose the stuff on that drive.
    >
    > Is there a good, free program that will retrieve the stuff off that
    > drive? Thanks for any suggestions.

    Hi Eddie, I`ve always been successful with...
    http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1

    Hoever are you sure it`s the drive that`s dodgy ?.
    It could be the cable /sockets /enclosure that are faulty.

    bw..
    meerkat, Oct 24, 2007

  3. Eddie

    James Guest

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:50:57 -0400, Eddie <>
    wrote:

    >Seems my Western Digital external 500 gig HD is acting up and/or may
    >have gone bad. Sometimes it shows up in My Computer, sometimes not.
    >When it does, I cannot acces any of the pix, music or video on it.
    >Can't momove or copy files from or to it. Have seen an I/O device
    >error, have googled it but still am not sure what it means. Scandisk
    >and Defrag won't start on the drive and I ran a WD utility I
    >downloaded a few months back when I had the same problem that was
    >supposed to find and repair bad sectors. Worked then, but not now. I'd
    >hate to lose the stuff on that drive.
    >
    >Is there a good, free program that will retrieve the stuff off that
    >drive? Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    >Eddie

    I had the same problem with a 500 gig W-D external combination
    USB/Firewire drive. I had it in the Firewire port and about once a
    week (and sometimes more frequently) it wouldn't be recognized by
    Windows or at the command prompt. Each time I had that occur, I
    pulled the Firewire plug and ran it as a USB drive, unplugged the USB
    cable and then reinserted the Firewire cable. It would work for a
    while and then crap out again. I also noticed that the drive casing
    was getting very hot--hot enough to feel uncomfortable when I touched
    it.

    It was under warranty when I finally called Western Digital who sent
    me a new drive. The new one has disconnected itself only once in the
    last couple of months. Did the same trick and it's up and running.

    Make sure the drive has adequate airflow to see if that helps and call
    W-D and complain. Worked for me.

    James
    James, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Eddie

    PeeCee Guest

    "Eddie" <> wrote in message
    > Seems my Western Digital external 500 gig HD is acting up and/or may
    > have gone bad. Sometimes it shows up in My Computer, sometimes not.
    > When it does, I cannot acces any of the pix, music or video on it.
    > Can't momove or copy files from or to it. Have seen an I/O device
    > error, have googled it but still am not sure what it means. Scandisk
    > and Defrag won't start on the drive and I ran a WD utility I
    > downloaded a few months back when I had the same problem that was
    > supposed to find and repair bad sectors. Worked then, but not now. I'd
    > hate to lose the stuff on that drive.
    >
    > Is there a good, free program that will retrieve the stuff off that
    > drive? Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > Eddie

    Eddie

    You don't say but I assume your external drive is mounted in either a USB or
    Firewire case.
    What may have happened is the external case electronics have died.
    In this case opening the external case and remounting it's hard drive
    temporarily in your PC will allow you to see if the drive itself is ok.
    You will need a free IDE or SATA connection inside your PC depending on the
    type of hard drive inside the external case (most likely IDE)
    This way you can see if it's the drive or the external case that is faulty,
    and purchase a replacement as necessary.

    If the drive is faulty you should run the WD utiliy while the drive is
    mounted in the PC, mounting it in your PC also gives the best chance of
    rescue utilities being able to recover your files.

    Once you have sorted this out I recommend you review your backup policy.
    At all times you should have 'two' copies of your data on different storage
    units.
    If the present external drive is in use because you haven't the space on
    your PC, then you should purchase a second one to duplicate your data so you
    have a 'backup' when one or the other storage unit dies.

    Best Luck
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 25, 2007