Bad electrolytes

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Preece, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    Bugger.

    Remember that thing about a year ago (?) where a bunch of motherboard
    manufacturers discovered they had been sold a vast number of duff
    capacitors? That the electrolyte formulation was, in essence, buggered
    and that over time the electrolyte would expand, leak, and generally
    **** up any motherboard they were installed on?

    Want to see some?

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~dpreece/badcaps.JPG

    Bugger. The machine in question just totally stopped functioning one
    day. Make no mistake, it had been proving to be a PITA for a while
    'needing' a PSU upgrade a while back (a different PSU solved an
    instability problem, if that's the same thing) and then one day about
    two months ago just totally failing to switch on. It worked one minute,
    and not the next. Never did work out why and the motherboard sat on my
    desk at home for a while begging me to think of what to do next. We did
    a core transplant into a spare machine from work which is functioning
    just fine. Probably flog/donate the CPU/RAM and do something cruel to
    the motherboard.

    Bugger.

    http://www.badcaps.net/

    Dave

    David Preece, Mar 14, 2005

  2. On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:44:04 +1300, David Preece wrote:

    > Bugger.
    >
    > Remember that thing about a year ago (?) where a bunch of motherboard
    > manufacturers discovered they had been sold a vast number of duff
    > capacitors? That the electrolyte formulation was, in essence, buggered
    > and that over time the electrolyte would expand, leak, and generally
    > **** up any motherboard they were installed on?
    >
    > Want to see some?
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~dpreece/badcaps.JPG

    Heh, I saw some worse that that - to me they looked like someone had burnt
    an egg on them ;-) I opened up a whole load of machines and all the caps
    were looking ready to burst. Most however were still actually working but
    the "now my pc doesn't start" calls then starting coming in...

    > Bugger. The machine in question just totally stopped functioning one
    > day. Make no mistake, it had been proving to be a PITA for a while
    > 'needing' a PSU upgrade a while back (a different PSU solved an
    > instability problem, if that's the same thing) and then one day about
    > two months ago just totally failing to switch on. It worked one minute,
    > and not the next. Never did work out why and the motherboard sat on my
    > desk at home for a while begging me to think of what to do next. We did
    > a core transplant into a spare machine from work which is functioning
    > just fine. Probably flog/donate the CPU/RAM and do something cruel to
    > the motherboard.
    >
    > Bugger.

    Yep, that was the classic signs. It would afflict vid cards too I believe.
    I've heard you can get $5/kg of circuitboards. Drop them from a great
    height and see what happens...

    wogers nemesis, Mar 14, 2005

  3. David Preece

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Bugger.
    >
    > Remember that thing about a year ago (?) where a bunch of motherboard
    > manufacturers discovered they had been sold a vast number of duff
    > capacitors? That the electrolyte formulation was, in essence, buggered
    > and that over time the electrolyte would expand, leak, and generally
    > **** up any motherboard they were installed on?

    Yep.

    > Want to see some?
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~dpreece/badcaps.JPG

    Ouch! I've also had a few like that. Actually managed to replace the caps on
    one or two of them but getting the right caps at the right price is the hard
    bit.

    > Bugger. The machine in question just totally stopped functioning one
    > day. Make no mistake, it had been proving to be a PITA for a while
    > 'needing' a PSU upgrade a while back (a different PSU solved an
    > instability problem, if that's the same thing) and then one day about
    > two months ago just totally failing to switch on. It worked one
    > minute, and not the next. Never did work out why and the motherboard
    > sat on my desk at home for a while begging me to think of what to do
    > next. We did a core transplant into a spare machine from work which
    > is functioning just fine. Probably flog/donate the CPU/RAM and do
    > something cruel to the motherboard.

    What type CPU/RAM? I can be reached at misfitnz with a google addy.

    > Bugger.

    Indeed.

    > http://www.badcaps.net/

    I have it bookmarked.

    My condolences.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 14, 2005
  4. David Preece wrote:
    > Remember that thing about a year ago (?) where a bunch of motherboard
    > manufacturers discovered they had been sold a vast number of duff
    > capacitors? That the electrolyte formulation was, in essence, buggered
    > and that over time the electrolyte would expand, leak, and generally
    > **** up any motherboard they were installed on?

    > Want to see some?
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~dpreece/badcaps.JPG
    > http://www.badcaps.net/

    we're getting them in the Del GX270 model that are ~15 months old, so it
    looks like there may be another batch of bad caps out there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 14, 2005
  5. David Preece

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I can be reached at misfitnz with a google addy.

    That's gmail.com, just to clarify.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 14, 2005
  6. David Preece

    Rob J Guest

    In article <423532b4$>, says...
    > Bugger.
    >
    > Remember that thing about a year ago (?) where a bunch of motherboard
    > manufacturers discovered they had been sold a vast number of duff
    > capacitors? That the electrolyte formulation was, in essence, buggered
    > and that over time the electrolyte would expand, leak, and generally
    > **** up any motherboard they were installed on?
    >
    > Want to see some?
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~dpreece/badcaps.JPG
    >
    > Bugger. The machine in question just totally stopped functioning one
    > day. Make no mistake, it had been proving to be a PITA for a while
    > 'needing' a PSU upgrade a while back (a different PSU solved an
    > instability problem, if that's the same thing) and then one day about
    > two months ago just totally failing to switch on. It worked one minute,
    > and not the next. Never did work out why and the motherboard sat on my
    > desk at home for a while begging me to think of what to do next. We did
    > a core transplant into a spare machine from work which is functioning
    > just fine. Probably flog/donate the CPU/RAM and do something cruel to
    > the motherboard.
    >
    > Bugger.
    >
    > http://www.badcaps.net/

    Saw one just the other day.

    It was one of those low profile brand name jobs, that turn the power on
    for a short time when the wall socket is switched on, and then turn off
    until the power switch is pressed. The power switch wouldn't do anything,
    but each time I cycled the wall switch a little curl of smoke came from a
    couple of caps that were under a IDE cable. Fortunately the fault was
    found before the caps exploded.

    Rob J, Mar 15, 2005