    Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?

    Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Rob

    Sean Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
    > home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
    > through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
    > hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
    > boom mic.
    >
    > The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
    >
    > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rob

    Try turning down the incoming audio.

    It can be a problem with softphone setups..Hardware is best where
    possible :)
    Sean, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Rob

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:

    [snip}

    > > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my
    > > laptop setup?

    > Try turning down the incoming audio.
    >
    > It can be a problem with softphone setups..Hardware is
    > best where possible :)

    Sometimes people tell me they can hear an echo on their end of the
    conversation. I can never hear it at my end (hardware) but of course I
    don't always know what they are using at the other end.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 28, 2005
  4. Rob

    peter Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
    > home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
    > through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
    > hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
    > boom mic.
    >
    > The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
    >
    > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rob

    I have an ATA, and long-distance I sometimes also experience echo at
    both ends of the call.

    In my desktop, when using softphone to call PSTN lines, a cheap headset
    akin to yours plugged into the on-board soundcard also generated echo.
    Now I have a USB-phone, and that helped a lot. I would suggest that you
    try with another headset - preferably a USB-headset with own sound card.
    peter, Sep 28, 2005
  5. peter wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    > > Hi everyone.
    > >
    > > I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
    > > home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
    > > through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
    > > hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
    > > boom mic.
    > >
    > > The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
    > >
    > > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Rob

    > I have an ATA, and long-distance I sometimes also experience echo at
    > both ends of the call.
    >
    > In my desktop, when using softphone to call PSTN lines, a cheap headset
    > akin to yours plugged into the on-board soundcard also generated echo.
    > Now I have a USB-phone, and that helped a lot. I would suggest that you
    > try with another headset - preferably a USB-headset with own sound card.

    Or better still buy a good harware telephone

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Sep 28, 2005
  6. Rob

    Andrew Crane Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I've been experimenting with VoiP. Used it a lot when in away from
    > home etc. However, when I make calls via Voipbuster, or receive them
    > through Sipgate, the other party always tells me they here an echo. I
    > hear no echo on my laptop side, and am using closed headphones with a
    > boom mic.
    >
    > The problem persists when using DSL in the UK, France and USA.
    >
    > Is this a common Voip issue, or something to do with my laptop setup?

    Voip will naturally introduce a substantial transmission delay. If your
    equipment is feeding back audio from the receive path to the transmit path,
    an echo will occur. The louder the feedback and the longer the delay, the
    worse the problem will appear.

    I believe Sipgate terminates in Germany, which from my internet connection
    takes a quite bizarre around-the-houses route. This will add to the problem
    as it will increase the transmission delay and therefore the annoyance of
    the echo.

    Digital circuits do not leak audio between the transmit and receive sides,
    so look at the analogue section of your end. This is where the problem will
    be. Either it will be inductive crosstalk in the headphone wires or a
    straightforward audio coupling (such as vibration travelling down the rigid
    boom).

    Regards
    Andrew

    --
    Inweb Networks 01784494400 www.inweb.co.uk
    www.rectel.co.uk -- record your phone calls and retrieve them online without
    Andrew Crane, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Andrew Crane wrote:
    > I believe Sipgate terminates in Germany, which from my internet connection
    > takes a quite bizarre around-the-houses route.

    The SIP session (signalling) is to a server in Germany but the actual
    audio part of the call (rtp stream) comes directly from the gateway in
    the UK. A bit of delay on the SIP side isn't such a problem, it just
    might mean it takes a fraction of a second longer to start ringing etc,
    but won't affect the sound quality.

    Most of the problems I've seen with sipgate have been with the
    signalling side fwiw. I have qualify=yes turned on in my * config which
    checks whether a peer is reachable - I have *75x* the number of
    "unreachable" log entries for sipgate compared to gradwell (no joking).
    I've noticed that incoming calls don't seem to detect the caller
    disconnecting during ringing properly. And I've often had problems with
    the voice part of the call not connecting for several seconds after
    answering the call (and sometimes, quite often actually, not connecting
    at all), which I've not noticed with gradwell. And a number of callers
    reporting problems.

    Once a call is setup correctly it's generally fine, but sipgate are
    out-of-the-loop at that point, the actual call is connected with a
    gateway at magrathea...
    Stuart Henderson, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Rob

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Stuart Henderson" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Once a call is setup correctly it's generally fine, but
    > sipgate are out-of-the-loop at that point, the actual
    > call is connected with a gateway at magrathea...

    Assuming a PSTN call, as Magrathea are the PSTN gateway, but what about a
    Sipgate to Sipgate call..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Rob

    Steve Pearce Guest

    I had these identical problems with Sipgate, echo, some people unable to
    reach me, phone does not stop ringing when person has put phone down etc.
    Switched to VOIPFone, changed no settings on my ATA box, all problems gone!

    Steve Pearce, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Rob

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:58:09 GMT, "Steve Pearce"
    <> wrote:

    >I had these identical problems with Sipgate, echo, some people unable to
    >reach me, phone does not stop ringing when person has put phone down etc.
    >Switched to VOIPFone, changed no settings on my ATA box, all problems gone!

    I am saying nothing at all Steve but I am thinking all that I have
    said more then once here .
    , Oct 18, 2005
  11. Rob

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:58:09 GMT, "Steve Pearce"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I had these identical problems with Sipgate, echo, some
    > > people unable to reach me, phone does not stop ringing
    > > when person has put phone down etc. Switched to
    > > VOIPFone, changed no settings on my ATA box, all
    > > problems gone!

    > I am saying nothing at all Steve

    The very fact that you posted this message says it all.

    Just when I thought this group was settling down, you start it all off
    again.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 18, 2005
  12. Rob

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:49:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Just when I thought this group was settling down, you start it all off
    >again.

    Oh no Ivor You have proved it once again that you just cannot stand
    anyone complaining about Sipgate, I have started nothing off .
    , Oct 18, 2005
  13. Rob

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:49:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Just when I thought this group was settling down, you
    > > start it all off again.

    > Oh no Ivor You have proved it once again that you just
    > cannot stand anyone complaining about Sipgate, I have
    > started nothing off .

    You are not a customer, you have no grounds for complaint.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Rob

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:07:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:49:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > Just when I thought this group was settling down, you
    >> > start it all off again.

    >> Oh no Ivor You have proved it once again that you just
    >> cannot stand anyone complaining about Sipgate, I have
    >> started nothing off .

    >You are not a customer, you have no grounds for complaint.

    I am NOT complaining at all Ivor but with every week that passes there
    is always someone having something to say about Sipgate and 99.9%
    isn't complementary .
    , Oct 18, 2005
  15. Rob

    Ivor Jones Guest