bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by techman41973@yahoo.com, Jul 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    get a ton of error messages, all the same
    "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    understand why I am getting this error.
    I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    drive.
    I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    laptop for a few weeks.
    Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    Thanks

    , Jul 31, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    Back up your data NOW. The disk is doomed and there is nothing you can do
    about it but send the machine back to HP to get the HDD replaced.

    GreenieLeBrun, Jul 31, 2007

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.

    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.

    And there's the rub -- what is the value of an extended warrantee for
    someone who can't be without the (concept of) a 'spare' computer?

    If you have to do all of the troubleshooting and dirty work, what is the
    value of the extra $$ for the extra warantee? If you don't already have
    a spare one, then you could go buy another computer, and send your LT
    off to HP for an indeterminate period. And forget about any data you
    haven't recovered/ backed up/ somehow.

    Who wants to be without any computer for 'a while'?

    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.

    I would be very very worried about the integrity of my drive; and this
    is one of the times, new, these problems show up.

    I'm concerned that it took you a little thinking to realize that you
    weren't going to get good chkdisk while running in gear, but at least
    you worked your way to the appropriate scary result.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2007
  4. JANA Guest

    It sounds like a failing hard drive. Back up the data, and send the computer
    to have it serviced.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 31, 2007
  5. Keme Guest

    Re: bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck tryingto repair

    skrev:
    > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    Talk to HP and explain your situation. They may accept your diagnose and
    allow you to change the HDD yourself, sending you a replacement and
    requiring the faulty one to be returned.

    Not likely, but it happens...

    Keme, Jul 31, 2007
  6. Cub Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically next
    business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product code and
    serial in to the checker. don't even think of a chkdsk fix , thats what
    warranty is for (back up your data quick)

    Cub

    Cub, Jul 31, 2007
  7. Re: bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck tryingto repair

    Cub wrote:

    > You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically next
    > business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product code and

    Him *and* his laptop?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 31, 2007
  8. Cub Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Cub wrote:
    >
    >> You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically
    >> next business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product code
    >> and

    > Him *and* his laptop?

    Well , he is able to log a call with HP direct rather than go via an agent
    for the manufacturer and he will be able to talk to HP directly rather than
    once again going via a reseller

    Cub

    Cub, Jul 31, 2007
  9. JANA <> wrote...

    > send the computer to have it serviced.

    >> I want to avoid sending it in to HP

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Top-posting dumbfuck JANATARD does it again.

    Collinsia Annectans, Aug 1, 2007
  10. Cub Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message news:f8obuf$jbt$...

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Cub wrote:
    >>
    >>> You and your laptop should qualify for a home/office repair typically
    >>> next business day. go to the HP warranty checker and put the product
    >>> code and

    >> Him *and* his laptop?

    > Well , he is able to log a call with HP direct rather than go via an
    > agent for the manufacturer and he will be able to talk to HP directly
    > rather than once again going via a reseller
    >

    > Cub

    ..

    Cub, Aug 1, 2007
  11. Chris Allen Guest

    On Jul 30, 9:43 pm, wrote:
    > I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
    > In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
    > the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
    > ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
    > It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
    > locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
    > chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
    > When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
    > get a ton of error messages, all the same
    > "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
    > I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
    > free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
    > understand why I am getting this error.
    > I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
    > drive.
    > I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
    > laptop for a few weeks.
    > Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
    > Thanks

    Steps I'd take:

    1. Remove the HDD
    This may void your warranty, I'd check before doing this
    the reason I'd remove the HDD first is because if the disk really
    is failing then the longer it spins the more likely it is to go out
    totally
    2. Download MemTest86+ boot cd, and boot it.
    This will check to see if your memory is okay. Disk corruption
    issues are sometimes linked to bad memory. check your memory first
    before
    using the computer to rescue your data. If the computer's memory
    is shot, do not try to rescue your data with it.
    here's the link to MemTest86+ http://www.memtest.org
    3. If mem is good, then download Knoppix Boot CD
    link = http://www.knoppix.org
    4. get yourself a usb external hdd that is as large as or larger than
    the laptops internal HDD
    5. Reinstall the HDD, and boot Knoppix CD
    Open command prompt, run ddrescue and copy what you can to the new
    HDD
    6. Get a copy of SpinRite by GRC
    http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm
    Note: this program is not free, but is worth the money.
    Alternatively you can download ultimate boot cd and check out what
    freeware utils it has to check the physical sectors on your disk
    7. If SpinRite makes corrections, repeat step 5 on another external
    HDD if possible
    8. if HDD is messed up, replace it and copy back data from external
    HDD

    Chris Allen, Aug 3, 2007