    Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    02befree, Oct 19, 2006

  2. 02befree

    philo Guest

    "02befree" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb

    in
    > bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or

    HDD
    > Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    > A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    > SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    A few bad clusters are not always something to worry about...
    and it's not worth it trying to recover them...

    ****however**** the SMART fail means that you need to backup and *replace*
    the drive ASAP...

    if it's still under warranty get an RMA

    philo, Oct 19, 2006

  3. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    02befree wrote:

    > I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb in
    > bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or HDD
    > Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    > A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    > SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite. The "bad clusters" may not
    be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the
    r/w heads. Spinrite will fix that. That's why you paid the big
    money for the program.

    SgtMinor, Oct 19, 2006
  4. 02befree

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:25:47 -0700, 02befree Has Frothed:

    > I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb
    > in bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite
    > or HDD Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are
    > OK?..... A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily
    > gave it a SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    Bad clusters are rare. Couple that with a SMART fail and I would backup or
    image the drive and RMA it back to WD ASAP.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 19, 2006
  5. "02befree" <> wrote in message
    >I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb
    >in
    > bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or
    > HDD
    > Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    > A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    > SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    Compare the value of your data with the cost of a new HD....kind of a
    no-brainer about getting a new one, huh?

    Doug

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 19, 2006
  6. 02befree

    ian field Guest

    "02befree" <> wrote in message
    >I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb
    >in
    > bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or
    > HDD
    > Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    > A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    > SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    Most modern HDs electronically re-map any bad sectors so you never actually
    see them, if there has become more than the drive can disguise its time to
    start thinking about a new drive.

    OTOH some types of virus conceal the body of their code in fake (falsely
    marked as bad) bad sectors. Rare these days, but can't say it never happens!

    ian field, Oct 19, 2006
  7. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage 02befree <> wrote:
    > I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb in
    > bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or HDD
    > Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    > A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    > SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    4kB is one cluster exactly. But the fialed SMART means the disk is dying.
    You migh get it to work for a few days or even weeks, but it will die.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  8. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage SgtMinor <> wrote:
    > 02befree wrote:

    >> I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb in
    >> bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or HDD
    >> Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    >> A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    >> SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.
    >>

    > It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite. The "bad clusters" may not
    > be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the
    > r/w heads. Spinrite will fix that. That's why you paid the big
    > money for the program.

    With todays ECC on disks, SpinRite is essentially worthless.
    It was different a long time ago.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  9. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage ian field <> wrote:

    > "02befree" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb
    >>in
    >> bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or
    >> HDD
    >> Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    >> A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    >> SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.
    >>

    > Most modern HDs electronically re-map any bad sectors so you never actually
    > see them, if there has become more than the drive can disguise its time to
    > start thinking about a new drive.

    > OTOH some types of virus conceal the body of their code in fake (falsely
    > marked as bad) bad sectors. Rare these days, but can't say it never happens!

    Rare, because modern virusses are too large for that. And they cannot
    cause a bad SMART status.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  10. 02befree

    Rod Speed Guest

    SgtMinor <> wrote
    > 02befree wrote

    >> I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them
    >> has 4kb in bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to
    >> run SpinRite or HDD Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the
    >> other partitions are OK?..... A little advice here would be
    >> appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a SMART fail in the Raw
    >> Read Write category.

    > It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite.

    Nope.

    > The "bad clusters" may not be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the r/w
    > heads.

    Not even possible with servo drives.

    > Spinrite will fix that.

    Nope.

    > That's why you paid the big money for the program.

    Nope, he got scammed. So did you.

    Rod Speed, Oct 20, 2006
  11. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage SgtMinor <> wrote:
    >
    >>02befree wrote:

    >>>I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them has 4kb in
    >>>bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to run SpinRite or HDD
    >>>Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    >>>A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    >>>SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.
    >>>

    >>It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite. The "bad clusters" may not
    >>be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the
    >>r/w heads. Spinrite will fix that. That's why you paid the big
    >>money for the program.

    > With todays ECC on disks, SpinRite is essentially worthless.
    > It was different a long time ago.
    >
    > Arno

    If your lost data is worthless you should not worry about
    retrieving it.

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006
  12. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > SgtMinor <> wrote
    >
    >>02befree wrote

    >>>I have a 200GB WD that is divided into 5 partitions. One of them
    >>>has 4kb in bad clusters according to CHKDSK. Is it worth trying to
    >>>run SpinRite or HDD Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the
    >>>other partitions are OK?..... A little advice here would be
    >>>appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a SMART fail in the Raw
    >>>Read Write category.

    >>It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite.

    > Nope.

    Wrong. The OP asked about using it which implied he had a copy.
    In that case it's ALWAYS worth using as it does no harm.

    >>The "bad clusters" may not be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the r/w
    >>heads.

    > Not even possible with servo drives.

    You don't know what you're talking about.

    >>Spinrite will fix that.

    > Nope.

    I speak from experience.

    >>That's why you paid the big money for the program.

    > Nope, he got scammed. So did you.

    Having recovered data from several bad disks, and having removed
    so-called "bad sectors" from others, I don't feel scammed in the
    least. I have owned and used various versions of SpinRite for
    over 15 years and I don't know of anything that can revive hard
    drives the way it can.

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006
  13. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage SgtMinor <> wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>>It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite. The "bad clusters" may not
    >>>be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the
    >>>r/w heads. Spinrite will fix that. That's why you paid the big
    >>>money for the program.

    >> With todays ECC on disks, SpinRite is essentially worthless.
    >> It was different a long time ago.
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>

    > If your lost data is worthless you should not worry about
    > retrieving it.

    My data is not worthless, but what SpinRite does is. I can run a
    long SMART self-test with much the same result, but without the
    cost.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  14. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage SgtMinor <> wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:

    >> SgtMinor <> wrote
    >>
    >>>02befree wrote

    >>>It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite.

    >> Nope.

    > Wrong. The OP asked about using it which implied he had a copy.
    > In that case it's ALWAYS worth using as it does no harm.

    Depends. It causes disk-load. And it costs time. It may also
    give false hope....

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  15. 02befree

    craigm Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:

    >>>The "bad clusters" may not be bad at all, but merely no longer directly
    >>>in the path of the r/w heads.

    >> Not even possible with servo drives.

    > You don't know what you're talking about.

    Can you explain what you mean about not being in the path of the r/w heads?

    craigm, Oct 20, 2006
  16. "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message news:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite.
    > > > The "bad clusters" may not be bad at all,

    > > > but merely no longer directly in the path of the r/w heads.

    Rotflol.
    That is a rather colourful way of saying that the OS won't use them anymore.

    > > > Spinrite will fix that.

    No it won't. (it may fix the filesystem though).

    > > > That's why you paid the big money for the program.

    Utterly clueless.

    > > With todays ECC on disks,

    Too bad it hasn't got anything to do with ECC, babblebot.

    > > SpinRite is essentially worthless.

    No it's not, although the previous version was rather useless on SCSI.

    > > It was different a long time ago.

    When it had a different function.

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 20, 2006
  17. "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message news:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    > > SgtMinor <> wrote
    > > > 02befree wrote

    > > > It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite.

    > > Nope.

    > Wrong. The OP asked about using it which implied he had a copy.
    > In that case it's ALWAYS worth using as it does no harm.

    Nonsense, you should never use it on a drive that has only hours to live.
    You will kill it almost instantly.

    > > > The "bad clusters" may not be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the r/w
    > > > heads.

    > > Not even possible with servo drives.

    > You don't know what you're talking about.

    Sure, but you do, right.

    > > > Spinrite will fix that.

    > > Nope.

    > I speak from experience.

    Bwahaha.

    > > > That's why you paid the big money for the program.

    > > Nope, he got scammed. So did you.

    > Having recovered data from several bad disks, and having removed
    > so-called "bad sectors" from others, I don't feel scammed in the least.
    > I have owned and used various versions of SpinRite for over 15 years

    > and I don't know of anything that can revive hard drives the way it can.

    There actually is another obscure program that claims to do the same, the
    one mentioned above.

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 20, 2006
  18. 02befree

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <4538f1c5$0$97238$>,
    Folkert Rienstra <> wrote:
    >"SgtMinor" <> wrote in message news:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Rotflol.
    >That is a rather colourful way of saying that the OS won't use them anymore.

    >No it won't. (it may fix the filesystem though).

    >Utterly clueless.
    >

    >> > With todays ECC on disks,

    >Too bad it hasn't got anything to do with ECC, babblebot.
    >
    >> > SpinRite is essentially worthless.

    >No it's not, although the previous version was rather useless on SCSI.

    What does spinrite claim to do?
    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com

    Al Dykes, Oct 20, 2006
  19. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    craigm wrote:

    >>>Not even possible with servo drives.

    >>You don't know what you're talking about.
    >>

    > Can you explain what you mean about not being in the path of the r/w heads?

    Steve Gibson, the creator of Spinrite, explains that over time the
    heads can drift from the position they had when the data was first
    written to the sector. As a result the now mis-aligned heads can
    no longer access that data and thus the sector may be marked as
    "bad." The DynaStat component of SpinRite jolts the heads across
    the platter in an attempt to locate those heads back over the
    place the data was written. It then reads that data and rewrites
    it. Here's how it's explained in the SpinRite documentation:

    "During this exhaustive rereading, DynaStat employs its second
    recovery strategy of deliberately wiggling the drive's heads. By
    successively approaching the troubled sector from different
    distances and directions, the heads arrive at the sector's track
    at different velocities, which in turn produce small but
    significant displacements in the head's resting position. This
    allows DynaStat to compensate for the long-term alignment drift
    that occurs in non-servo based drives, and the positioner
    hysterysis that occurs in servo-based designs.
    Thus the drive's heads are given every opportunity to land in the
    best possible location to correctly read the sector. This approach
    is also extremely effective at recovering data from misaligned
    diskettes – which SpinRite 3.1 is proving to be extremely
    effective upon."

    You can hear the clattering sounds from the hard drive when
    SpinRite does its thing. It's a great program and I highly
    recommend it to people who are trying to extract valuable data
    from "bad" sectors.

    See "SpinRite's Technology" on this page:
    http://www.grc.com/srdocs.htm

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006
  20. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <4538f1c5$0$97238$>,
    > Folkert Rienstra <> wrote:

    >>Rotflol.
    >>That is a rather colourful way of saying that the OS won't use them anymore.

    >>No it won't. (it may fix the filesystem though).

    >>Utterly clueless.

    >>Too bad it hasn't got anything to do with ECC, babblebot.

    >>No it's not, although the previous version was rather useless on SCSI.
    >>

    > What does spinrite claim to do?

    A four-page brochure explains it all:
    http://www.grc.com/files/sr5_lit.pdf

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006