    would need to be replaced. He left. I ran the Win98 scandisk and it said no
    errors were found. who is right? and How bad are 8 clusters on a 4 gig drive.
    the computer works fine. BG

    BillKirch, Apr 10, 2004

  2. BillKirch

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    oads (BillKirch) wrote in
    news::

    > I am selling a computer and a guy came over to look at it and he put a
    > floppy disc in it and ran a scandisk program and said I had 8 bad
    > clusters and the HD would need to be replaced. He left. I ran the
    > Win98 scandisk and it said no errors were found. who is right? and How
    > bad are 8 clusters on a 4 gig drive. the computer works fine. BG

    Once clusters are found bad, scandisk doesn't recheck them unless you force
    it to. When a drive starts showing bad sectors, it means it has already
    found enough bad sectors to use up all the spares it has, and it is
    probably on its last legs.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 10, 2004

  3. BillKirch

    Wizard Guest

    Bad clusters growwwwwwwww. The drive is toast.

    Wizard, Apr 10, 2004
  4. BillKirch

    mark mandel Guest

    "BillKirch" <> wrote in message
    > I am selling a computer and a guy came over to look at it and he put a

    floppy
    > disc in it and ran a scandisk program and said I had 8 bad clusters and

    the HD
    > would need to be replaced. He left. I ran the Win98 scandisk and it said

    no
    > errors were found. who is right? and How bad are 8 clusters on a 4 gig

    drive.
    > the computer works fine. BG

    Well, it certainly isn't as good as new but if it gets to the point where
    you can't write anything on it(which is bound to happen sooner than later)
    then it's pretty much history.

    mark mandel, Apr 10, 2004