Bad Capacitors

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bambam, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. bambam

    bambam Guest

    Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(
    I read this group regularly, and a couple of other computer related
    ones, so I know of this problem. So far I have not noticed any
    stability problems, but I know the life of this board is limited.
    The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 Socket A, purchased in March 02,
    so it is only just over 2.5 years old. Can't find any info on the
    length of the warranty. I do have the warranty card but it is not
    filled in and does not state a time, just has a blank "valid until"
    box.
    I haven't written to the supplier yet, as I would like to gather as
    much info as I can first.
    Any advise will be gratefully accepted.
    Photo posted at the following link-

    http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=495B9CE2A7D0D9F7ABFCD7E6B6CAF0EF

    --
    Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

    bambam, Nov 7, 2004

  2. bambam

    Geronimo Guest

    On 7 Nov 2004 07:35:22 GMT, bambam <> wrote:

    >Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(
    >I read this group regularly, and a couple of other computer related
    >ones, so I know of this problem. So far I have not noticed any
    >stability problems, but I know the life of this board is limited.
    >The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 Socket A, purchased in March 02,
    >so it is only just over 2.5 years old. Can't find any info on the
    >length of the warranty. I do have the warranty card but it is not
    >filled in and does not state a time, just has a blank "valid until"
    >box.
    >I haven't written to the supplier yet, as I would like to gather as
    >much info as I can first.
    >Any advise will be gratefully accepted.
    >Photo posted at the following link-
    >
    >http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=495B9CE2A7D0D9F7ABFCD7E6B6CAF0EF

    THe Agent is fully liable as thus is a well know and documented fault, do some
    Google searches, affects most brands.

    Geronimo, Nov 7, 2004

  3. On 7 Nov 2004 07:35:22 GMT, bambam <> wrote:

    >Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(

    I have lost two Soltek boards to Bad Capacitors, one Soltek SL-75MAV
    board (Duron) and one Soltek SL-65LIV i think it was (Socket 370 P3)

    Moved house a week or so ago and took the cover off my good PC (this
    one I am typing from). Paid a premium for all the "good stuff" in this
    PC: Kingston RAM, Enermax PSU, Intel Processor & Mobo, and the bloody
    Intel Desktop Board D865PERL has 5 bulging caps right next to the CPU
    socket. Luckily these boards have a 3 year warranty so it's not too
    big of a problem, but sheesh.. I have a AMD K5-100 in my wardrobe for
    a router and you don't see shit leaking off it's motherboard..

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Nov 7, 2004
  4. bambam

    thing Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    > would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    > leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(
    > I read this group regularly, and a couple of other computer related
    > ones, so I know of this problem. So far I have not noticed any
    > stability problems, but I know the life of this board is limited.
    > The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 Socket A, purchased in March 02,
    > so it is only just over 2.5 years old. Can't find any info on the
    > length of the warranty. I do have the warranty card but it is not
    > filled in and does not state a time, just has a blank "valid until"
    > box.
    > I haven't written to the supplier yet, as I would like to gather as
    > much info as I can first.
    > Any advise will be gratefully accepted.
    > Photo posted at the following link-
    >
    > http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=495B9CE2A7D0D9F7ABFCD7E6B6CAF0EF

    I would think the supplier is liable. I would contact them and ask for a
    replacement, it would be no skin of their nose as the manufacturer / nz
    importer would send out a new board for free.

    If it is not forthcoming ask for their registered business address and
    look at filing a claim in the small claims court, I think it costs $25
    so probably worth doing.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 8, 2004
  5. bambam

    Rider Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On 7 Nov 2004 07:35:22 GMT, bambam <> wrote:
    >
    >>Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >>would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >>leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(

    > I have lost two Soltek boards to Bad Capacitors, one Soltek SL-75MAV
    > board (Duron) and one Soltek SL-65LIV i think it was (Socket 370 P3)
    >
    > Moved house a week or so ago and took the cover off my good PC (this
    > one I am typing from). Paid a premium for all the "good stuff" in this
    > PC: Kingston RAM, Enermax PSU, Intel Processor & Mobo, and the bloody
    > Intel Desktop Board D865PERL has 5 bulging caps right next to the CPU
    > socket. Luckily these boards have a 3 year warranty so it's not too
    > big of a problem, but sheesh.. I have a AMD K5-100 in my wardrobe for
    > a router and you don't see shit leaking off it's motherboard..

    See what happens when you leave home LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Nov 8, 2004
  6. bambam

    elsamo Guest

    my brothers got a soltek board of the same age with the same problem.
    I dont think hes bothered doing anything about it yet.

    elsamo, Nov 8, 2004
  7. bambam

    Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:26:34 -0800, elsamo wrote:

    > my brothers got a soltek board of the same age with the same problem. I
    > dont think hes bothered doing anything about it yet.

    I too have a mobo which last week decided to emit a "fried onion" smell
    and now no longer does even the POST.

    I looked at the board, and some of the capacitors (about 4 of them) have
    bulging tops and a pale brownish stuff on them which looks like it oozed
    out.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
    Service Pack 2."

    , Nov 8, 2004
  8. bambam

    bambam Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:29:11 +1300, thing wrote:

    > bambam wrote:
    >> Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >> would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >> leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :( I read this group regularly,
    >> and a couple of other computer related ones, so I know of this problem.
    >> So far I have not noticed any stability problems, but I know the life of
    >> this board is limited. The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 Socket A,
    >> purchased in March 02, so it is only just over 2.5 years old. Can't find
    >> any info on the length of the warranty. I do have the warranty card but
    >> it is not filled in and does not state a time, just has a blank "valid
    >> until" box.
    >> I haven't written to the supplier yet, as I would like to gather as much
    >> info as I can first.
    >> Any advise will be gratefully accepted. Photo posted at the following
    >> link-
    >>
    >> http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=495B9CE2A7D0D9F7ABFCD7E6B6CAF0EF
    >>

    > I would think the supplier is liable. I would contact them and ask for a
    > replacement, it would be no skin of their nose as the manufacturer / nz
    > importer would send out a new board for free.
    >
    > If it is not forthcoming ask for their registered business address and
    > look at filing a claim in the small claims court, I think it costs $25 so
    > probably worth doing.

    Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the consumer
    website that I'll use as a template. I especially like the fact that there
    is a draft follow up letter if the seller rejects the claim. One last
    question, how long do you think most computer components should last,
    minimum? 3 years? 5 years?

    bambam, Nov 8, 2004
  9. bambam

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:45:53 +1300, bambam <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:29:11 +1300, thing wrote:
    >
    >> bambam wrote:
    >>> Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >>> would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >>> leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :( I read this group regularly,
    >>> and a couple of other computer related ones, so I know of this problem.
    >>> So far I have not noticed any stability problems, but I know the life of
    >>> this board is limited. The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 Socket A,
    >>> purchased in March 02, so it is only just over 2.5 years old. Can't find
    >>> any info on the length of the warranty. I do have the warranty card but
    >>> it is not filled in and does not state a time, just has a blank "valid
    >>> until" box.
    >>> I haven't written to the supplier yet, as I would like to gather as much
    >>> info as I can first.
    >>> Any advise will be gratefully accepted. Photo posted at the following
    >>> link-
    >>>
    >>> http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=495B9CE2A7D0D9F7ABFCD7E6B6CAF0EF
    >>>

    >> I would think the supplier is liable. I would contact them and ask for a
    >> replacement, it would be no skin of their nose as the manufacturer / nz
    >> importer would send out a new board for free.
    >>
    >> If it is not forthcoming ask for their registered business address and
    >> look at filing a claim in the small claims court, I think it costs $25 so
    >> probably worth doing.

    >Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the consumer
    >website that I'll use as a template. I especially like the fact that there
    >is a draft follow up letter if the seller rejects the claim. One last
    >question, how long do you think most computer components should last,
    >minimum? 3 years? 5 years?

    No this is a well known and documented fault due to some Cap firms using as
    incomplete stolen Electrolyte formula, that causes the Caps to gas and blow
    up or leak or bulge, due to the missing chemical to stop the electrolyte from
    frothing.

    Do some google searches you will find stacks of references to this problem..

    If they do not get 2 hot, at least 5 years, we used to get some 2 years with
    some PSU's that were run 7/24, the caps dis not burst..

    Geronimo, Nov 8, 2004
  10. bambam

    bambam Guest

    Geronimo <> wrote in

    >>Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the
    >>consumer website that I'll use as a template. I especially like
    >>the fact that there is a draft follow up letter if the seller
    >>rejects the claim. One last question, how long do you think most
    >>computer components should last, minimum? 3 years? 5 years?

    > No this is a well known and documented fault due to some Cap firms
    > using as incomplete stolen Electrolyte formula, that causes the
    > Caps to gas and blow up or leak or bulge, due to the missing
    > chemical to stop the electrolyte from frothing.

    Thanks Roger, but I already know the story behind the bad capacitors-

    http://www.badcaps.net/

    I'm more interested in other peoples similar experiences and my
    rights under the CGA.

    > Do some google searches you will find stacks of references to this
    > problem..
    >
    > If they do not get 2 hot, at least 5 years, we used to get some 2
    > years with some PSU's that were run 7/24, the caps dis not
    > burst..

    Your heart is in the right place, thanks for trying to help.

    --
    If you can remain calm, you just don't have all the facts.

    bambam, Nov 8, 2004
  11. bambam

    MarkH Guest

    bambam <> wrote in

    > last question, how long do you think most computer components should
    > last, minimum? 3 years? 5 years?

    Should? 4-7 years

    Minimum? 3 years, I would definitely call a failure before 3 years
    premature.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 7-Nov-04)

    MarkH, Nov 8, 2004
  12. bambam

    Matthias Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > I'm more interested in other peoples similar experiences and my
    > rights under the CGA.

    I got a $100 credit towards the cost price of a new motherboard of my
    choice when one of mine failed due to faulty capacitors after the
    warranty had already expired. It seemed like a reasonable deal to me at
    the time.

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Nov 9, 2004
  13. bambam

    John R... Guest

    bambam <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    > would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    > leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(

    I too had the same problem. My motherboard was originally a leadtek
    k7ncrg18 proI, purchased march 2003. Failed at 14 months!! (12 month
    warranty!!). No boot up, nothing, dead system, except leaving it a few
    days caused it to sort of get part way through a boot. The capacitors
    were bulging and had a brownish crystalline residue on the top. The
    supplier originally had in mind to sell me a similar motherboard, but
    I did point out that there was a widespread problem in the industry
    with faulty capacitors, and quoted some portions of the CGA (consumer
    guarantee act), the leadtek distributor did replace this with a pro II
    model, so all went well. (what if they didn't, then what??) For
    comparison, another 6 year old computer I have has its capacitors in
    absolute perfect condition, can't tell them from brand new, just
    typing this, took the case lid off and shined a torch into my
    computer, yep the caps still look ok... touch wood.... I did add a
    case fan afterwards just in case that was a factor...

    That picture is similar to my capacitors except mine were worse, a bit
    more bulged, the brown residue is same/similar though.

    John

    John R..., Nov 9, 2004
  14. bambam

    thing Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:29:11 +1300, thing wrote:
    >

    >>bambam wrote:
    >>
    >>>Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >>>would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >>>leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :( I read this group regularly,
    >>>and a couple of other computer related ones, so I know of this problem.
    >>>So far I have not noticed any stability problems, but I know the life of
    >>>this board is limited. The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4 Socket A,
    >>>purchased in March 02, so it is only just over 2.5 years old. Can't find
    >>>any info on the length of the warranty. I do have the warranty card but
    >>>it is not filled in and does not state a time, just has a blank "valid
    >>>until" box.
    >>>I haven't written to the supplier yet, as I would like to gather as much
    >>>info as I can first.
    >>>Any advise will be gratefully accepted. Photo posted at the following
    >>>link-
    >>>
    >>>http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=495B9CE2A7D0D9F7ABFCD7E6B6CAF0EF
    >>>

    >>I would think the supplier is liable. I would contact them and ask for a
    >>replacement, it would be no skin of their nose as the manufacturer / nz
    >>importer would send out a new board for free.
    >>
    >>If it is not forthcoming ask for their registered business address and
    >>look at filing a claim in the small claims court, I think it costs $25 so
    >>probably worth doing.

    > Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the consumer
    > website that I'll use as a template. I especially like the fact that there
    > is a draft follow up letter if the seller rejects the claim.

    What is the URL? the draft follow up latter might be exactly what I want
    for an issue I am having with Farmers at present....

    One last
    > question, how long do you think most computer components should last,
    > minimum? 3 years? 5 years?

    The 1 year guarantee is the minimum. I recall a case where a lady bought
    an IBM laptop, I think it was documented in Infotec. Its drive failed
    after 15 months (or similar) the retailer would not do anything so she
    took them to the small claims court and won. The court decided 3 or so
    years was a reasonable life to expect if I recall correctly.

    In your case the failures are known, widespread, and documented so you
    could almsot argue that the board's otherwise almost indefinate lifespan
    had been severly curtailed....

    I would not think < 4 years would be an issue, indeed I have some boards
    that came with a 3 year warrantee anyway. Possibly check the
    manufacturers website for their warrantee and return policy on these bad
    boards they might have a special web page just for them.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 9, 2004
  15. bambam

    S Roby Guest

    >Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the consumer
    >website that I'll use as a template. I especially like the fact that there
    >is a draft follow up letter if the seller rejects the claim. One last
    >question, how long do you think most computer components should last,
    >minimum? 3 years? 5 years?

    Given that some brands give 3 Years for m/b & hd's etc you could say it should
    last AT LEAST 3 years.

    I used to be in the IT industry & suppliers & retailers have a total disregard
    for the Consumers Guarentees Act (hence 1 year warranty for $3000 PC's & pay
    for Warranty extensions).
    One MAJOR importer/wholesaler told me that as an importer they arnt bound by
    the CGA (too bad for the retailer/onseller who was)

    Can you keep us(nz.comp) updated on what results you get

    S Roby, Nov 9, 2004
  16. bambam

    Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 06:51:21 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >>Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the consumer
    >>website that I'll use as a template. I especially like the fact that there
    >>is a draft follow up letter if the seller rejects the claim. One last
    >>question, how long do you think most computer components should last,
    >>minimum? 3 years? 5 years?
    >>

    >Given that some brands give 3 Years for m/b & hd's etc you could say it should
    >last AT LEAST 3 years.
    >
    >I used to be in the IT industry & suppliers & retailers have a total disregard
    >for the Consumers Guarentees Act (hence 1 year warranty for $3000 PC's & pay
    >for Warranty extensions).
    >One MAJOR importer/wholesaler told me that as an importer they arnt bound by
    >the CGA (too bad for the retailer/onseller who was)

    They are bound by the Sale of Goods Act.

    Geronimo, Nov 9, 2004
  17. bambam

    bambam Guest

    thing <> wrote in

    >> Thanks thing, I've found a couple of sample letters on the
    >> consumer website that I'll use as a template. I especially like
    >> the fact that there is a draft follow up letter if the seller
    >> rejects the claim.

    > What is the URL? the draft follow up latter might be exactly what
    > I want for an issue I am having with Farmers at present....

    http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=224&category=Legal%
    20Rights&subcategory=Letters%20that%20get%20results&topic=Letters%
    20about%20goods&bhcp=1

    or

    http://shorl.com/gagofasupyge

    --
    It's a small world. So you have to use your elbows a lot.

    bambam, Nov 9, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp
    on 8 Nov 2004 19:39:56 -0800, John R... <> says...
    > bambam <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    > > would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    > > leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(

    > I too had the same problem. My motherboard was originally a leadtek
    > k7ncrg18 proI, purchased march 2003. Failed at 14 months!! (12 month
    > warranty!!). No boot up, nothing, dead system, except leaving it a few
    > days caused it to sort of get part way through a boot. The capacitors
    > were bulging and had a brownish crystalline residue on the top. The
    > supplier originally had in mind to sell me a similar motherboard, but
    > I did point out that there was a widespread problem in the industry
    > with faulty capacitors, and quoted some portions of the CGA (consumer
    > guarantee act), the leadtek distributor did replace this with a pro II
    > model, so all went well. (what if they didn't, then what??)

    Leadtek is not exactly a common brand of MB in NZ. Interesting...

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 9, 2004
  19. bambam

    bambam Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in

    > Can you keep us(nz.comp) updated on what results you get

    Sure will, thanks for your post. :)

    --
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

    bambam, Nov 9, 2004
  20. bambam

    Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:43:23 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp
    >on 8 Nov 2004 19:39:56 -0800, John R... <> says...
    >> bambam <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> > Decided to give the computer an internal dung out today, the last time
    >> > would have been at least 6 months ago. I discovered about 6 bulging and
    >> > leaking capacitors on the motherboard. :(

    >> I too had the same problem. My motherboard was originally a leadtek
    >> k7ncrg18 proI, purchased march 2003. Failed at 14 months!! (12 month
    >> warranty!!). No boot up, nothing, dead system, except leaving it a few
    >> days caused it to sort of get part way through a boot. The capacitors
    >> were bulging and had a brownish crystalline residue on the top. The
    >> supplier originally had in mind to sell me a similar motherboard, but
    >> I did point out that there was a widespread problem in the industry
    >> with faulty capacitors, and quoted some portions of the CGA (consumer
    >> guarantee act), the leadtek distributor did replace this with a pro II
    >> model, so all went well. (what if they didn't, then what??)

    >Leadtek is not exactly a common brand of MB in NZ. Interesting...

    You are well out of date as they are the main MoBo maker for Nforce MoBo's.

    Geronimo, Nov 9, 2004