'bad' 32 bit drivers attempting to load and itunes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Simon Meacham, May 27, 2006.

  1. I was trawling through my system event log (I know, I lead an exciting life)
    and noticed that the System log reported that several drivers
    (GEARApsiWDM.sys and PQNTDrv.sys) kept trying to be loaded but were 'blocked
    from loading due to incompatibility with this system'.

    In fact there seem to a be a veritable cornucopia of such messages
    stretching back in time, with variable intervals.

    A quick google informed me that GEARAspiWDM.sys is an itunes CD-ROM burning
    drivers which 'corrupts the x64 CD-ROM driver' (any truth to this?) and
    PQNTDrv.sys is part of Partition Magic (which 'sort of works' on x64 but not
    really).

    I only use PM in boot mode now following advice on this forum, so I can
    uninstall that, but I wouldn't mind keeping itunes around for the ipod.

    Anyone had any experience with GEARAspiWDM.sys and what they did? Does it
    really 'corrupt' my x64 CD-ROM driver, or is it OK to just ignore the
    annoying log generator?

    Cheers
    Simon.

    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
    Simon Meacham, May 27, 2006

  2. Simon Meacham

    Graham Guest

    Simon Meacham wrote:
    > Anyone had any experience with GEARAspiWDM.sys and what they did? Does it
    > really 'corrupt' my x64 CD-ROM driver, or is it OK to just ignore the
    > annoying log generator?

    iTunes installs 32-bit drivers which x64 can't (won't) load. It doesn't
    corrupt anything. You can get 64-bit drivers from the Gear website, but
    every time you update or re-install iTunes it will toss these and and
    put the non-functional 32-bit ones back again instead, so you have to
    put the 64-bit ones back again. It is very annoying, but not harmful.

    Graham.
    Graham, May 28, 2006

  3. Thanks Graham. I downloaded the x64 drivers from the website per your
    suggestion and all was well.

    For anyone else interested the link is
    ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/beta/windows/drivers\Driver_Installer_AMD64_EM64T.exe

    Simon Meacham, May 28, 2006