    this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out the
    HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    Richard, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Richard

    Biz Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    > Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out

    the
    > HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    Which country has the largest population, AND the largest installed base of
    4:3 tvs in the world? Unless you have plenty of disposable income, you just
    dont go out a buy new widescreen HDTV's becuase they are there. WHen you
    are ready to replace your existing tv, you have to weigh the price vs. what
    you can afford. The cost differential is still pretty high in NOrth America
    as well. Its just a simple matter of money mostly.

    Biz, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Richard

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (Richard) wrote:

    > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    > Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out the
    > HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    Was he asked if he wanted pan & scan or "full screen"? I'm guessing it
    was the latter. If the store clerk had asked the Joe Schmo if he wanted
    a P&S version the Joe Schmo would have likely just given the clerk a
    blank stare. This is just a rough estimate, but it seems to me at least
    8 out of 10 people have no idea what pan & scan is despite the fact that
    the term has existed since the 1970's. Pretty sad. People need to be
    taught what P&S is. I wish I could make everyone I know sit down and
    watch that "Why Letterbox?" featurette on the Die Hard DVD. Infact I
    made my mother watch it just so she truly understood what P&S is.

    But believe me, it used to be much much worse just a few years ago. Take
    a time machine back to 1993 and go into a video store. The clerk would
    have handed the gentlemen a pan & scan VHS tape and the option of a
    widescreen version wouldn't have even been available, let alone brought
    up by either one of them.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Richard

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    > Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out

    the
    > HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    Were you there when this happened? Did you speak up?

    Jay Stewart, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Richard

    TB Guest

    "Richard" whined:

    > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    > Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out

    the
    > HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    BFD. Most people should be so lucky that their biggest worry is stupid
    aspect ratios on tvs.

    T.B.

    TB, Aug 14, 2004
  6. TB wrote:
    > "Richard" whined:
    >

    >>In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    >>wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    >>This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    >>behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    >>As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    >>this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    >>Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out

    > the
    >
    >>HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    > BFD. Most people should be so lucky that their biggest worry is stupid
    > aspect ratios on tvs.

    Why is it, that everytime some guys discuss something, some looney has
    to show up shouting "BFD". Why the hell do you think AR is their "biggest"
    worry?? This is alt.video.dvd and butchered movies are one big problem
    in the US home video market, but it's by far not the biggest.

    l8er
    ronny

    Ronald Stoehr, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Richard) wrote:
    >
    > > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    > > Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out the
    > > HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    > Was he asked if he wanted pan & scan or "full screen"? I'm guessing it
    > was the latter. If the store clerk had asked the Joe Schmo if he wanted
    > a P&S version the Joe Schmo would have likely just given the clerk a
    > blank stare. This is just a rough estimate, but it seems to me at least
    > 8 out of 10 people have no idea what pan & scan is despite the fact that
    > the term has existed since the 1970's. Pretty sad. People need to be
    > taught what P&S is. I wish I could make everyone I know sit down and
    > watch that "Why Letterbox?" featurette on the Die Hard DVD. Infact I
    > made my mother watch it just so she truly understood what P&S is.
    >
    > But believe me, it used to be much much worse just a few years ago. Take
    > a time machine back to 1993 and go into a video store. The clerk would
    > have handed the gentlemen a pan & scan VHS tape and the option of a
    > widescreen version wouldn't have even been available, let alone brought
    > up by either one of them.

    Yes, the P&S was my modification. I refuse to use a term that makes it sound
    like the version he wanted has any merit.
    -Rich

    Richard, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in message news:<WMhTc.98909$J06.18515@pd7tw2no>...
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will continue.
    > > Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out

    > the
    > > HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    > Were you there when this happened? Did you speak up?

    Did I speak up? No. I used to when this happened, but it's gotten to
    the point where those who still choose P&S are simply too stupid to be
    convinced the correct aspect ratio version is worth seeing and the proprietors
    of video stores are simply trying to be all things to all people in order to
    maximize their sales. Kind of like Hollywood and PG rated movies.
    -Rich

    Richard, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Biz, says...
    > Which country has the largest population,

    Not the United States, so how does this relate to the original post?

    Mark Spatny, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Richard

    Biz Guest

    Sorry should have been installed user base of tvs and/or dvd players. Of
    course you knew that, but were too much of a smart ass to just politely
    correct me.

    Biz, Aug 15, 2004
  11. Richard

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry should have been installed user base of tvs and/or dvd players. Of
    > course you knew that, but were too much of a smart ass to just politely
    > correct me.

    How was anyone supposed to know that? I wondered what
    the reference to China was about.

    Mark Jones, Aug 15, 2004
  12. Richard

    John Savard Guest

    On 13 Aug 2004 17:36:13 -0700, (Richard) wrote, in part:

    >Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they KEEP pushing out the
    >HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's pathetic.

    Why on earth would anyone want to force people to run out and spend lots of money
    on a new TV set, when they already have a perfectly good one?

    At least America is a real democracy, where the political elites don't think they
    can bully ordinary people! (Well, aside from the Supreme Court, of course.)

    This is why we have loonies, but you don't have Susan B. Anthony dollars
    replacing your dollar bill.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Aug 16, 2004
  13. Richard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Biz, says...
    > Sorry should have been installed user base of tvs and/or dvd players.

    Which I still don't know is the United States. I have no data one way or
    another, and I wouldn't assume that the US has the largest installed
    base. For all I know China has more TVs. Even if fewer TVs per capita,
    the larger population and the proliferation of pirated DVDs may make it
    a much larger DVD market.

    Mark Spatny, Aug 16, 2004
  14. Black Locust <> writes:

    > But believe me, it used to be much much worse just a few years ago. Take
    > a time machine back to 1993 and go into a video store. The clerk would
    > have handed the gentlemen a pan & scan VHS tape and the option of a
    > widescreen version wouldn't have even been available, let alone brought
    > up by either one of them.
    > --
    > BL

    This was the main motivation for buying a laser disc player in
    '91. Only way to get widesceen movies then.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Aug 16, 2004
  15. Richard wrote:
    > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.
    > This is STILL happening for one major reason; North Americans are WAY
    > behind in technology compared to the Japanese and Europeans.
    > As long as they KEEP pushing 4:3 TVs and KEEP showing 4:3 TV programs,
    > this warped preference of the unsophisticated video viewer will
    > continue. Digital TV still has less than 10% penetration and they
    > KEEP pushing out the HDTV broadcast mandates in North America. It's
    > pathetic.

    Maybe when movie studios start droping using that false lable "Full Frame"
    and start calling it what it really is, along with including information
    with
    releases describing to people why Widescreen is better then maybe just
    maybe people might start waking up.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 17, 2004
  16. Richard

    Eric R. Guest

    lid (John Savard) wrote in message news:<>...

    > Why on earth would anyone want to force people to run out and spend lots of
    > money on a new TV set, when they already have a perfectly good one?
    >
    > At least America is a real democracy, where the political elites don't think
    > they can bully ordinary people! (Well, aside from the Supreme Court, of course.)

    You tell 'em John! Fight the power!!

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 17, 2004
  17. Richard

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Richard) wrote in message news:<>...
    > In a video store the other day, a gentleman was asked if he
    > wanted the WS or P&S version of the movie; He chose the P&S.

    I saw the same thing... only it was worse... the guy actually said "I
    don't want the top and bottom chopped off..."

    (SIGH)

    In defense of 4:3 sets though... I am going to buy a big-screen 4:3.
    Why? I have a lot of video games and they're all 4:3. In fact, I
    probably spend more time playing games than watching DVDs. Yes, I'll
    make sure that it does proper 16:9 conversion... But while I'm not
    distracted by having black bars on movies, I think I would be
    distracted by having black side panels on video games.

    Of course if they made TVs in anything other than silver right now it
    wouldn't be as bad. :^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Aug 18, 2004
  18. Jordan Lund wrote:
    > In defense of 4:3 sets though... I am going to buy a big-screen 4:3.
    > Why? I have a lot of video games and they're all 4:3. In fact, I
    > probably spend more time playing games than watching DVDs. Yes, I'll
    > make sure that it does proper 16:9 conversion... But while I'm not
    > distracted by having black bars on movies, I think I would be
    > distracted by having black side panels on video games.

    I actually own a 32 inch HDTV myself, for the reasons you just
    mentioned. Tho I'll admit playing "Enter The Matrix" on my XBox
    at 1080i is very beautiful even if the game itself isn't so. ;-)

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 19, 2004