Backward Compatibility

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?THVtYXI=?=, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Can I run 16bit applications on Windows x64 Edition?
    Thanks for your response.

    =?Utf-8?B?THVtYXI=?=, Feb 16, 2006

  2. No, Windows x64 does not support a 16 bit subsystem anymore. So make sure
    that your applications are fully 32-bit before migrating to Windows x64,
    that means even the installer and uninstaller of a application must be 32
    bit or 64 bit to work. Other wise, you could use virtualization solutions
    such as Virtual Server 2005 R2 or VM Ware 5.5 Workstation to run a supported
    operating system for any such legacy operating systems.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?THVtYXI=?=

    Rick Guest

    Not from Win x64 itself. You can install virtual software and run
    16-bit apps within the virtual machine.

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?THVtYXI=?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    No, 16 bit applications do not work on x64. MS designed x64 to not work
    with 16 bit software. It's part of the evolution of software moving towards
    64 bit with backward compatibility for most 32 bit applications.

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006