    because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
    got.

    Thanks.

    Elmer, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
    >tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
    >CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.
    >
    >Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
    >runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
    >problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
    >G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.
    >
    >But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
    >downloads. Does anyone know what www.cdspeed2000.com is about,
    >because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
    >got.

    www.cdspeed2000.com is the download site for a suite of utilities that
    test and benchmark optical drives.

    What exactly are you intending to do with this burner? The speed of your
    computer has the most to do with processing video and authoring DVD's. If
    you're just using the drive to play discs, and burn occasional data DVD's,
    then speed should not be an issue regardless of the software.

    Mike S., Feb 20, 2008

  3. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    On Feb 20, 9:09 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Elmer <> wrote:
    > >I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
    > >tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
    > >CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.

    > >Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
    > >runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
    > >problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
    > >G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.

    > >But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
    > >downloads. Does anyone know whatwww.cdspeed2000.comis about,
    > >because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
    > >got.

    > www.cdspeed2000.comis the download site for a suite of utilities that
    > test and benchmark optical drives.
    >
    > What exactly are you intending to do with this burner? The speed of your
    > computer has the most to do with processing video and authoring DVD's. If
    > you're just using the drive to play discs, and burn occasional data DVD's,
    > then speed should not be an issue regardless of the software.

    Thanks, much, for the comprehensive answer. I'd like to burn an
    occasional data CD and possibly an occasional video (home-made, not
    theatrical release). I used a Pentium M to do this a few years ago,
    on a laptop with an external burner. It took forty years in the
    desert, but it did it; and I assumed a "M" was equivalent to a P3.

    Elmer, Feb 20, 2008
  4. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >On Feb 20, 9:09 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >>
    >> Elmer <> wrote:
    >> >I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
    >> >tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
    >> >CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.

    >> >Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
    >> >runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
    >> >problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
    >> >G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.

    >> >But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
    >> >downloads. Does anyone know whatwww.cdspeed2000.comis about,
    >> >because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
    >> >got.

    >> www.cdspeed2000.com is the download site for a suite of utilities that
    >> test and benchmark optical drives.
    >>
    >> What exactly are you intending to do with this burner? The speed of your
    >> computer has the most to do with processing video and authoring DVD's. If
    >> you're just using the drive to play discs, and burn occasional data DVD's,
    >> then speed should not be an issue regardless of the software.

    >Thanks, much, for the comprehensive answer. I'd like to burn an
    >occasional data CD and possibly an occasional video (home-made, not
    >theatrical release). I used a Pentium M to do this a few years ago,
    >on a laptop with an external burner. It took forty years in the
    >desert, but it did it; and I assumed a "M" was equivalent to a P3.

    Processing video on an underpowered computer (CPU speed, RAM size, hard disk
    speed) will take longer but if you're willing to wait, and have a hard
    drive large enough to hold all the data, it will eventually finish. This
    is not directly related to the DVD burner. As long as the hard drive and
    data bus can supply it with data fast enough to meet your chosen burning
    speed, you can burn DVD's efficiently. Just check Device Manager to make
    sure that the new burner is running in a DMA (UDMA) and not PIO mode.
    (CD Speed's info tool should be able to tell you this once it's installed).

    Mike S., Feb 21, 2008
  5. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    On Feb 20, 9:32 pm, (Mike S.) wrote:
    > Just check Device Manager to make
    > sure that the new burner is running in a DMA (UDMA) and not PIO mode.
    > (CD Speed's info tool should be able to tell you this once it's installed).

    Thanks again! I Googled "DMA" and "PIO," and wow, did I find a lot of
    complaints.

    Elmer, Feb 21, 2008