Backups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    After working of a large video presentation for over three months...I
    finally finished it up last week.
    Although I was making incrimental backups...I was pretty tired when I got
    done...so just made one DVD master and shut the machine down.

    I gave the master to my girlfriend and she took it to work with her (where
    the video was going to be used).

    Yesterday I decided that I better burn a few more DVD's just to be sure I
    had plenty of backups.

    Yep, my drive was completely and irretrievably dead :(

    Although I had the MP3 file saved elsewhere...I still would have had to have
    recreted my DVD at that point...
    so I asked my GF if she had the master with her...

    No, she replied...It's at work...I hope it's OK...
    then she gulped hard.

    Not that it was a major big deal...but I told her I'd have to recreate the
    DVD.

    She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
    *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.

    I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
    "master record" are over...

    Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

    philo, Sep 23, 2007

  2. philo wrote:
    > After working of a large video presentation for over three months...I
    > finally finished it up last week.
    > Although I was making incrimental backups...I was pretty tired when I got
    > done...so just made one DVD master and shut the machine down.
    >
    > I gave the master to my girlfriend and she took it to work with her (where
    > the video was going to be used).
    >

    > Yesterday I decided that I better burn a few more DVD's just to be sure I
    > had plenty of backups.
    >
    > Yep, my drive was completely and irretrievably dead :(
    >

    > Although I had the MP3 file saved elsewhere...I still would have had to have
    > recreted my DVD at that point...
    > so I asked my GF if she had the master with her...
    >
    > No, she replied...It's at work...I hope it's OK...
    > then she gulped hard.
    >
    > Not that it was a major big deal...but I told her I'd have to recreate the
    > DVD.
    >
    > She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
    > *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.
    >

    > I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
    > "master record" are over...
    >
    > Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

    Glad the story didn't end with any slit wrists.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 23, 2007

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    snip>

    I told her I'd have to recreate the
    >> DVD.
    >>
    >> She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
    >> *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.
    >>

    >> I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
    >> "master record" are over...
    >>
    >> Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

    > Glad the story didn't end with any slit wrists.

    No slit wrists...

    My favorite poet, John Giorno once wrote a poem about a man who committed
    suicide.

    he woke up into a new world where everything was exactly the same...

    only a little bit worse...

    A good incentive to just push-on no matter what !

    philo, Sep 23, 2007
  4. philo

    Bill Stout Guest

    philo wrote:
    > After working of a large video presentation for over three months...I
    > finally finished it up last week.
    > Although I was making incrimental backups...I was pretty tired when I got
    > done...so just made one DVD master and shut the machine down.
    >
    > I gave the master to my girlfriend and she took it to work with her (where
    > the video was going to be used).
    >

    > Yesterday I decided that I better burn a few more DVD's just to be sure I
    > had plenty of backups.
    >
    > Yep, my drive was completely and irretrievably dead :(
    >

    > Although I had the MP3 file saved elsewhere...I still would have had to have
    > recreted my DVD at that point...
    > so I asked my GF if she had the master with her...
    >
    > No, she replied...It's at work...I hope it's OK...
    > then she gulped hard.
    >
    > Not that it was a major big deal...but I told her I'd have to recreate the
    > DVD.
    >
    > She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
    > *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.
    >

    > I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
    > "master record" are over...
    >
    > Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

    Have you considered the 2GB free backup at www.mozy.com?

    Bill

    Bill Stout, Sep 23, 2007
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > > I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
    > > "master record" are over...
    > >
    > > Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.
    > >

    > Have you considered the 2GB free backup at www.mozy.com?
    >
    > Bill

    Not a bad idea...but I have the "low priced" DSL and it would take me hours
    to upload even 500 megs of data.

    Most of my important stuff is on two or three HD's on at least two different
    machines...
    plus at least a DVD or two

    philo, Sep 23, 2007
  6. philo

    Bill Stout Guest

    philo wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>> I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
    >>> "master record" are over...
    >>>
    >>> Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.
    >>>

    >> Have you considered the 2GB free backup at www.mozy.com?
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Not a bad idea...but I have the "low priced" DSL and it would take me hours
    > to upload even 500 megs of data.
    >
    > Most of my important stuff is on two or three HD's on at least two different
    > machines...
    > plus at least a DVD or two

    I had 1.5 megabit DL speed, UL quite a bit slower? DSL and it took
    a couple of days, but once it's up there it's there, and,
    configured to run increments daily, only takes a fraction of the time.

    Bill

    Bill Stout, Sep 24, 2007
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    > > Not a bad idea...but I have the "low priced" DSL and it would take me

    hours
    > > to upload even 500 megs of data.
    > >
    > > Most of my important stuff is on two or three HD's on at least two

    different
    > > machines...
    > > plus at least a DVD or two
    > >

    > I had 1.5 megabit DL speed, UL quite a bit slower? DSL and it took
    > a couple of days, but once it's up there it's there, and,
    > configured to run increments daily, only takes a fraction of the time.

    Not sure what the speed is, but my *upload* speed is very slow!!!!

    philo, Sep 24, 2007