    to backup from disk to disk or from disk to tape?

    Thanks
    P Smith

    Paul Smith, Oct 22, 2008

  2. "Paul Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Just wanna hear some suggestions...
    >
    > I have a huge amount of data to backup. I ought to use NTBACKUP but the
    > BKF file is coming very large and takes ages to be done. Is there a
    > quicker way to backup the files whilst retaining NTFS permissions? also
    > would it be best to backup from disk to disk or from disk to tape?

    1. DIFFERENTIAL backups.

    2. It's never a question of disk-to-disk =vs= disk-to-tape -- it's a
    question of which solution is /better/ for the needs of the organization.

    Most organizations actually use both.

    Disk-to-disk backups are done because:
    [a] they run quickly
    the backup files remain "online" in case a restore is needed
    [c] the restore runs quickly

    Disk-to-tape backups are done because:
    [a] disk space is a lot more expensive than tape storage
    many organizations need historical archives
    [c] a backup on a different disk drive of a failed machine is useless

    There's hardly enough information here to make an intelligent analysis of
    your situation.

    But in the spirit of discussing the MCSA certification/exams (which is the
    purpose of this newsgroup),
    consider the benefits of a weekly full backup and daily differential backups

    Also, consider the advantages of being able to leisurely write the BKF file
    to tape around 10am
    rather than having to lock up all of the files on the fileserver while the
    direct-to-tape backup runs late at 8am.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 22, 2008