    Hello every one
    How can I make backup by windows xp home?
    Thank you

    Hogan &&&&, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Hogan &&&&

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Hogan &&&&

    Guest

    Windows XP has it's own backup option. But I prefer Acronis True Image,
    it has several advantages like incremental and differential backups,
    back up individual file/folder, build-in scheduler and the highest
    level compression. Due to fool-proof intuitive wizard, it's very easy
    and convenient to use.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    , Apr 12, 2006
  4. Hogan &&&&

    Craig Davies Guest

    "Hogan &&&&" <> wrote in message
    > Hello every one
    > How can I make backup by windows xp home?
    > Thank you

    Microsoft Backup:

    1. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD in your drive.

    2. Navigate to the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder on the CD.

    3. Double-click Ntbackup.msi.

    Microsoft Backup runs in Wizard mode by default; you simply follow the
    prompts to back up or restore. There are advanced modes where you can select
    exactly which files to back up, but this course covers only the simple
    method.

    Depending on the contents of your My Documents folder, you may need a lot of
    disk space for backing it up. Backup can split the backup file between
    multiple removable disks if needed, so you can use removable disks with less
    capacity per disk than you need for the total backup job.

    Use the following steps to back up your documents and settings:

    1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup.
    The Backup or Restore Wizard runs. Click Next to begin.

    2. Click Back up files and settings, and then click Next.

    3. Click My documents and settings, and then click Next.

    4. In the Choose a place to save your backup box, enter the path to
    the desired location. (You can click Browse to locate it if desired.) If
    you're backing up to a drive, type the drive letter here.

    5. In the Type a name for this backup box, type a name for the backup
    file set, and then click Next.

    6. Click Finish, and then wait for the backup to complete. The Backup
    Progress dialog box appears as the backup is occurring

    7. When the Backup Progress box reports Backup is complete, click
    Close.

    If you ever need to restore your backup, you first want to bring the
    computer up to an operational state if something is wrong with it. That may
    mean reloading Windows. When everything seems to be working okay, use these
    steps to restore your backup:

    1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup.
    The Backup or Restore Wizard runs. Click Next.

    2. Click Restore files and settings, and then click Next.

    3. Double-click an item on the left to see its contents, mark the
    checkbox for the folder or drive you want to restore, and then click Next.

    4. Click Finish. The restore process begins.

    5. When the restore is complete, click Close.

    Backing up the Registry with Regedit

    It's a good idea not to make any changes in Regedit because it edits the
    Registry directly, and this can be a dangerous proposition. One false move
    and Windows will be disabled entirely. However, in this case, you're not
    making any changes -- just a backup.

    Here's how to back up the Registry with Regedit:

    1. Select Start > Run. Type regedit, and then click OK. The Registry
    Editor window appears.

    2. Select File > Export. The Export Registry File dialog box appears

    3. In the Export Range area, select the All option button.

    4. Select a save location. If you have a remote location available,
    such as a network drive, save it there; it won't do you much good to save a
    backup on your same hard disk as Windows is installed.

    5. Type a name for the backup file. (It's good to use a date in the
    name, such as Registry0604 for a backup created in June, 2004.)

    6. Click OK. The Registry is backed up.

    7. Close the Registry Editor window.

    You might need to restore this backup if something happens that corrupts
    your Registry file, such as installing bad software or making changes to the
    Registry that result in Windows not working correctly. To restore a backup,
    you simply open the Registry Editor and select File > Import, and then
    select the saved backup in the dialog box that appears.

    When you go back to a previous configuration, you don't lose any data files,
    but Windows loses its recollection of any programs that were installed since
    that backup. Suppose, for

    example, you make a backup of the Registry in the morning, and then you
    install Microsoft Word and create a Word document. After that, you install a
    game that causes problems,

    so you decide to restore your Registry backup. After doing so, Word no
    longer works because it's no longer installed (that is, its entries are no
    longer in the Registry), but the Word

    document you created is still there on your hard disk. You now need to
    reinstall Word.

    The Regedit method in the preceding section works great if you need to back
    up the Registry to some other location than your local hard disk. Doing so
    helps you reconstruct your system if the entire hard disk goes bad.

    However, you're much more likely to have Registry problems caused by
    something other than a complete hard disk failure. For example, a beginner
    changing entries in the Registry Editor can cause problems, and a poorly
    written application can make bad changes to the Registry when it installs.
    In cases like that, it's not critical that the backup of the Registry be
    stored in some remote location; it can be right there on your hard disk (and
    in fact is more convenient that way).

    The System Restore utility in Windows XP is a fast, easy way to create a
    Registry backup, called a snapshot, or restore point, and storing it on your
    local hard disk. You can easily restore a saved snapshot to fix any Registry
    problems. Windows automatically saves a new snapshot every day, and keeps
    them for about two weeks, so you can take your system's settings back to an
    earlier time whenever something happens to cause problems. You can also
    create your own snapshots (for example, right before you install some
    questionable software).

    Creating a restore point

    To create a System Restore snapshot, follow these steps

    1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System
    Restore.

    2. In the Welcome box that appears, click Create a restore point, and
    then click Next.

    3. Type a description for the restore point, . This can be anything
    that will help jog your memory. For example, if you're creating a restore
    point as a precaution before you install a certain new program, you might
    call it Before Install. Click Create.

    4. Click Close to close the utility.

    Restoring a previous Windows state

    If your system is starting to have problems, such as error messages,
    inability to start normally, or lockups, and you just installed some new
    program or changed a system setting, you're probably wishing you had never
    done it! System Restore can help you go back in time, restoring the Registry
    to the condition it was in before the unfortunate incident.

    As mentioned earlier, System Restore saves a system checkpoint every day
    automatically, so even if you haven't manually created a configuration
    snapshot (see the previous section), you should still be able to back up the
    previous day's configuration, at a minimum.

    To restore from System Restore, follow these steps:

    1. Close all open programs, and then select Start > All Programs >
    Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

    2. Leave Restore my computer to an earlier time selected, and then
    click Next.

    3. On the calendar that appears, click the date of the restore point you
    want to use. Dates containing restore points appear in boldface. Some dates
    have more than one restore point.

    4. On the list to the right of the calendar, click the restore point
    you want, and then click Next.

    5. A confirmation appears. Click Next.

    6. Your computer restarts itself. When Windows comes back up, a
    confirmation box appears. Click OK to close it.

    Your system is now restored to the chosen configuration. If that solved your
    problem, great. If it introduced even more problems, you can always reverse
    the System Restore

    process. To do so, restart System Restore, and then select Undo my last
    restoration.

    Backup System state with Backup

    To back up the system state with Backup, follow these steps:

    1. Start the Backup utility. The Backup or Restore Wizard runs.

    2. Click the Advanced Mode hyperlink on the Welcome screen. The Backup
    Utility window appears.

    3. Click the Backup tab. A list of drives appears in the left pane,
    like a folder tree in a file management window.

    This Backup tab is also where you go to back up specific files with the
    Backup utility.

    4. Check the System State checkbox in the left pane.

    5. In the Backup media or file name box (at the bottom), enter a path and
    file name to back up to.

    6. Click Start Backup. A Backup Job Information dialog box appears.

    7. (Optional) Edit the text in the Backup Description box to mention
    that this is a system state backup.

    8. Click Start Backup, and then wait for the backup to complete.

    9. When the message appears that the backup is complete, click Close.

    You restore a system state backup the same way you restore a data backup
    with the Backup utility.

    Backing up Microsoft Outlook data

    If you use Outlook as your primary email application, the easiest way to
    back up your data is to make a copy of the Outlook.pst file, and then save
    it somewhere safe. Different versions of Outlook store the Outlook.pst file
    in different places, but in the latest version of Outlook you'll find it
    here:

    Documents and Settings\{your name}\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pstYou can also back up individual parts of
    the Outlook data file, if you don't want everything.

    For example, to back up only your Contacts list (where email addresses and
    other contact information is stored), do the following in Outlook 2003
    (other versions are similar but the steps may be slightly different):

    1. Select File > Import and Export.

    2. Select Export to a File, and then click Next.

    3. Select the format in which you want to back up, and then click
    Next.

    If you're backing up so you can reimport into Outlook if you lose your data,
    select Personal Folder File (.pst). This is the Outlook data format.

    4. In the Export Personal Folders dialog box, select the Contacts
    folder, and then click Next.

    5. In the Save exported file as box, enter the path and file name to
    back up to (or Browse for it).

    6. Click Finish.

    7. If you chose to back up in Personal Folder File format, an
    additional box appears; click OK to accept the defaults.

    Restoring data to Outlook

    If you copied the entire Outlook.pst file, do the following to restore it:

    1. If needed, install Outlook on the computer where the data file
    should be restored. It must be the same version or later as the one from
    which you backed up.

    2. Start Outlook to allow it to create a new, blank Outlook.pst file,
    and then exit.

    3. In a file management window, overwrite the new copy's Outlook.pst
    file with your backed up one.

    4. Restart Outlook. All your original data will appear there.

    If you exported only certain data from Outlook, as in the preceding section,
    restore it like this:

    1. In Outlook, select File > Import and Export.

    2. Select Import from another program or file, and then click Next.

    3. Select the file type, and then click Next.

    4. Select the file to import (use Browse if needed), and then click
    Next.

    5. If you're importing from a Personal Folder File, an additional box
    appears where you can select the folder(s). Do so.

    6. Click Finish.

    Backing up Outlook Express addresses

    You can export addresses from Outlook Express to either a Microsoft Exchange
    Personal Address Book or to a text file. If you back up to a personal
    address book format, the exported addresses will work with other programs
    that use Exchange format. If you back up to a text file, you create a
    comma-separated text file that can be copied to disk and stored as a backup.
    (That's what you want in this case.)

    To export the addresses as a text file, follow these steps:

    1. Select File > Export > Address Book. The Address Book Export tool
    appears.

    2. Click Text File, and then click Export.

    3. A prompt appears for a file name. Enter the file name and location
    (or Browse), and then click Next.

    4. Leave the default field selections marked, and then click Finish.

    5. Click Close.

    If something happens to your computer and you have to reload Windows or
    reinstall Outlook Express, you can retrieve your stored addresses by
    importing from the file you exported. To do so, follow these steps:

    1. Select File > Import > Other Address Book.

    2. On the list of formats, select Text File (Comma Separated Values),
    and then click Import.

    3. Click Browse to locate the file containing the addresses, click OK
    , and then click Next.

    4. Leave the default field selections, and then click Import.

    5. Wait for the import to finish, click OK, and then click Close.

    Craig Davies, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Hogan &&&&

    Craig Davies Guest

    I prefer this method because it saves money than buying backup software,
    when you can do it on Windows XP for free. Even if the backup software is
    probably easier.

    Craig Davies, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Hogan &&&&

    Hogan &&&& Guest

    Thank you Craig very much. I'll do what's written.
    Hogan

    Hogan &&&&, Apr 13, 2006