    Thanks
    graham neil
    please email me @

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JhaGFtIE5laWw=?=, Jul 13, 2006

  2. In Restore and Manage Media, select Tools and Catalog a backup file.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 13, 2006

  3. I'm assuming you've managed to find your way to the x64 newsgroup entirely
    by mistake, here. I suspect you really wanted to post this in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    The first question is - can Windows XP see the files on your USB HD. You
    need to make sure that the HD has a drive letter assigned and that it's
    working correctly.

    Next, since there's no record in this version of XP of any backup to the
    device, you need to force NTBackup to read the external drive to rebuild and
    index. Click Browse under what to restore, click Browse again in the Open
    Backup File dialog, browse to the backup file on the USB HD. expand the file
    in the left hand pane, and you should now be able to select what you want to
    restore.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 13, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R3JhaGFtIE5laWw=?=

    Larry Hodges Guest

    To add to Charlie's input, in the future be sure to turn on storing catalogs
    on the media, which speeds up any restore or file search functions.
    Probably not an issue with a HD stored backup file, but very helpfull with a
    tape system.

    Go to Tools > Options > General. Put a check in the "Use the catalogs on
    the media to speed up building and restoring catalogs on disk.".

    -Larry
    Maximize Software, Inc.

    Larry Hodges, Jul 13, 2006
  5. * Larry Hodges:

    > To add to Charlie's input, in the future be sure to turn on storing catalogs
    > on the media, which speeds up any restore or file search functions.
    > Probably not an issue with a HD stored backup file, but very helpfull with a
    > tape system.

    And to add some wisdom: a backup that never has been tested is no
    backup. You not only have to make the backup, you also should at least
    try once if and how recovery works to be sure that restore is possible
    at all. Just making backups of important data and hoping that the
    restore works in case of a disaster is foolish...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 14, 2006