    possible to use this thing to backup my files and settings to a CD? I've
    tried it, and it doesn't want to accept the CD as a backup medium. Is there
    a way around this hickup?
    Bubba, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Bubba

    Thor Guest

    "Bubba" <> wrote in message
    news:BGF7d.6059$...
    >I notice that Windows XP has a backup option under System Tools. Is it
    >possible to use this thing to backup my files and settings to a CD? I've
    >tried it, and it doesn't want to accept the CD as a backup medium. Is
    >there a way around this hickup?

    If you install packet writing software this might be possible, since packet
    writing software enables you to treat a blank CDRW disc pretty much like a
    floppy, in that you can save directly to the disc from within applications,
    and you can also drag-n-drop files directly to the disc. Examples of packet
    writing software is Ahead software's (Nero) "InCD", and Roxio's "DirectCD".
    Nero also has a backup utility built in for backing up your entire
    harddrive. You could also use microsoft backup to create the backup files
    and store then on the harddrive, then in turn, use your normal CD burning
    software to burn those files to the CD for safekeeping. When you restore
    files, it should accept the CD as a source for the archived files.
    Thor, Oct 2, 2004