Backup strategy advice required please ...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob Keel, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Rob Keel

    Rob Keel Guest

    Hi,

    I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup strategy
    for all my personal files at home.

    I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods other
    people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.

    How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's I have?
    Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and storing
    this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If so is
    there some free software out there that will allow me to do this and can
    anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method of data backup or
    would another method be more beneficial?

    TIA.

    Rob.
    Rob Keel, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Rob Keel

    dadiOH Guest

    Rob Keel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup
    > strategy for all my personal files at home.
    >
    > I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods other
    > people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.

    Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize that CDs have a finite
    life. IOW, recopy them every couple of years.
    _______________

    > How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's
    > I have?

    Use your burning program to copy.
    ______________

    > Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO
    > file and storing this file on a spare hard drive or separate
    > partition somewhere. If so is there some free software out there that
    > will allow me to do this and can anyone make a recommendation? Is
    > this the best method of data backup or would another method be more
    > beneficial?

    Guess what...hard drives fail too. If you do want to store a copy on a
    HD, you don't need to futz around with an image (iso)...all you have to
    do is copy from the CD to a folder on a drive.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Sep 1, 2005

  3. "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup
    > strategy
    > for all my personal files at home.
    >
    > I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods other
    > people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.
    >
    > How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's I
    > have?
    > Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and
    > storing
    > this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If so is
    > there some free software out there that will allow me to do this and can
    > anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method of data backup or
    > would another method be more beneficial?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Rob.

    The only reliable backup is offsite. Store CD/DVD backups at someone elses
    house, or verified copies of your own backups. The other way is to use
    online storage. You may have some webspace with your ISP, you can use that
    for smaller amounts of data, or you can pay to store files online.

    Google is your friend.

    **SS**
    Secret Squiddle, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Rob Keel

    Marie Brown Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup
    > strategy
    > for all my personal files at home.
    >
    > I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods other
    > people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.
    >
    > How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's I
    > have?
    > Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and
    > storing
    > this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If so is
    > there some free software out there that will allow me to do this and can
    > anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method of data backup or
    > would another method be more beneficial?

    -----------

    My husband Ghosted this PC using Norton Ghost. I back up all my files using
    DVD/RWs. Those I plan to keep permanently like music CDs are burned to
    CR-Rs as both Mp3s and data. Pictures are burnt to CR-Rs.

    Marie
    Marie Brown, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Rob Keel

    Joe Rom King Guest

    Considering price, I recommend to use external USB disks as backup media if
    data is more than few gigs. If you need to take a backup daily, or even
    weekly, you will be saving money on the long run.

    If you have 4GB and more, use a backup program such as Relative Rev Backup
    (http://www.datamills.com) that schedules the backup sessions, manages the
    backup versions, saves backup space by working incremental forever, deletes
    expires points in time, and much more.

    Just consider this, if you are backing up full weeklies, you will be coping
    your data 52 times over the period of a single year. Not if you use Relative
    Rev Backup, where you will copy a full reference backup only once, then only
    new and updated files will be copied.

    Joe Rom King

    DataMills

    Joe Rom King, Sep 4, 2005
  6. Rob Keel

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Marie Brown" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup
    > > strategy
    > > for all my personal files at home.
    > >
    > > I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods

    other
    > > people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.
    > >
    > > How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's

    > > have?
    > > Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and
    > > storing
    > > this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If

    so is
    > > there some free software out there that will allow me to do this and

    can
    > > anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method of data backup

    or
    > > would another method be more beneficial?

    > -----------
    >
    > My husband Ghosted this PC using Norton Ghost. I back up all my files

    using
    > DVD/RWs. Those I plan to keep permanently like music CDs are burned

    > CR-Rs as both Mp3s and data. Pictures are burnt to CR-Rs.
    >
    > Marie

    How do you cope with .dbx files, the contents of which change from day
    to day? Are you able to overwrite those backups?

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.
    Emrys Davies, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Rob Keel

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > "Marie Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup
    >>> strategy
    >>> for all my personal files at home.
    >>>
    >>> I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods
    >>> other people have adopted in order to insure against future data
    >>> loss.
    >>>
    >>> How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data
    >>> cd's I have?
    >>> Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and
    >>> storing
    >>> this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If
    >>> so is there some free software out there that will allow me to do
    >>> this and can anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method
    >>> of data backup or would another method be more beneficial?

    >> -----------
    >>
    >> My husband Ghosted this PC using Norton Ghost. I back up all my
    >> files using DVD/RWs. Those I plan to keep permanently like music
    >> CDs are burned to CR-Rs as both Mp3s and data. Pictures are burnt
    >> to CR-Rs.
    >>
    >> Marie

    > How do you cope with .dbx files, the contents of which change from day
    > to day? Are you able to overwrite those backups?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.

    DBX as in email? Me, I leave my messages on the server until I delete them.
    How's that for a backup strategy? <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 4, 2005
  8. Rob Keel

    Guest

    Hi,

    A while ago I used to work for a company called Connected Corp, who was
    recently acquired by Iron Mountain. For $14 a month you install an
    agent on your computer and can schedule backups to thier offsite
    location. If you need to recover a file it is very simple, they give
    you a browser type view and you just grab your old file. If you mess
    up your system due to driver issues or what not, they have a function
    called "heal" that allows you to get your system state back to where it
    was on the last good backup. It keeps 10 copies or 30 days worth of
    system states and data at any time.

    I also have worked w/ the Maxtor OneTouch product that is really good.
    The backup software is the Dantz product. You install the software and
    then plug in via usb the hard drive. When you want to do a backup you
    hit the button and walk away.

    Steve

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > "Marie Brown" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup
    > > > strategy
    > > > for all my personal files at home.
    > > >
    > > > I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods

    > other
    > > > people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.
    > > >
    > > > How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's

    > > > have?
    > > > Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and
    > > > storing
    > > > this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If

    > so is
    > > > there some free software out there that will allow me to do this and

    > can
    > > > anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method of data backup

    > or
    > > > would another method be more beneficial?

    > > -----------
    > >
    > > My husband Ghosted this PC using Norton Ghost. I back up all my files

    > using
    > > DVD/RWs. Those I plan to keep permanently like music CDs are burned

    > > CR-Rs as both Mp3s and data. Pictures are burnt to CR-Rs.
    > >
    > > Marie

    > How do you cope with .dbx files, the contents of which change from day
    > to day? Are you able to overwrite those backups?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.
    , Sep 5, 2005
  9. Rob Keel

    Guest

    Hi Rob,

    The way I do it is to keep all personal data (documents, favorites,
    email, etc)
    together in "c:\docs" (which I set to be the "my documents" folder with

    TweakUI).

    I then keep this backed up to a second computer using the freeware
    tool
    Back2zip. I actually run Back2zip on the second computer and have it
    set to work in the evening. Back2zip simply keeps a daily ZIP archive
    of my data.

    Here's a link to Back2zip:

    http://free-backup.info/back2zip.html

    And some other freeware backup tools which you might find useful:

    http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm
    , Sep 5, 2005
  10. Rob Keel

    Guest

    You might consider a sort of different option for these and other
    backups you'd like to make. A company named Remote Backup Systems
    offers a client/server online backup software package that is useful
    for not only backing up your own data, but in offering online backup
    services to others.

    Check out their products and other information here:
    http://remote-backup.com

    They even have a twenty day evaluation version for download and trial.

    ddb

    Rob Keel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I thought maybe it was about time I implemented some kind of backup strategy
    > for all my personal files at home.
    >
    > I have a bundle of data cd's and was just wondering what methods other
    > people have adopted in order to insure against future data loss.
    >
    > How would I go about creating an exact copy of each of the data cd's I have?
    > Someone recently suggested something about creating an ISO file and storing
    > this file on a spare hard drive or separate partition somewhere. If so is
    > there some free software out there that will allow me to do this and can
    > anyone make a recommendation? Is this the best method of data backup or
    > would another method be more beneficial?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Rob.
    , Sep 6, 2005
  11. Rob Keel

    Guest

    Have you checked out http://remote-backup.com ? They sell the software
    that powers many of the online backup service providers out there.

    ddb
    , Sep 6, 2005