    "use linux" options not welcome.
    Raid is currently not an option.

    Where does this leave me?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004

  2. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:00:41 +1200, in message
    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    > up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    > "use linux" options not welcome.
    > Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    > Where does this leave me?

    Up the booai shooting pukekos with a pitchfork! :)

    Seriously, if you don't mind a commercial-ish solution, I suggest you have
    a look at Acronis TrueImage
    http://www.acronis.com
    It could be just what you are looking for. Seems to do everything you
    have mentioned ... and then some.
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Grow your own dope...plant a politician!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 14, 2004

  3. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    > up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    > "use linux" options not welcome.
    > Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    > Where does this leave me?

    I bought an external Firewire/USB 2.0 HDD and plugged in a 80GB HDD in it. I
    have it connected to my Firewire port (NF7-S motherboard) and use the
    Windows XP Pro Backup Utility to backup my files. I also have a second
    partition that my partner uses to backup her iMac over our network to this
    HDD using Dantz Retrospect.

    The sugested Acronis (in another post parallel to this) seems to create a
    partition on the HDD. I guess it can take this on an external HDD? If so
    using the external HDD and the recovery feature would be great.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Wyn Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow
    > backing up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell
    > anyway).
    >
    > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid

    As a mere beginner I know I'm risking sticking my neck out, but I
    suppose that you have considered and rejected the incremental backup in
    Nero 6. I haven't used it myself so I don't know if it would be
    suitable.

    With a lot less to backup I have found that a second HDD to be the
    answer using Karen's Replicator (also incremental). Have you considered
    replacing your second 40 GB HDD with a biggy? Personally I would
    hesitate to use any RW disc of whatever kind with important material
    when it has to be read and written to frequently.

    Wyn
    Wyn, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:00:41 +1200, in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > Im after a decent backup solution.
    > >
    > > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    > >
    > > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    > >
    > > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    > > up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    > >
    > > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    > >
    > > "use linux" options not welcome.
    > > Raid is currently not an option.
    > >
    > > Where does this leave me?

    > Up the booai shooting pukekos with a pitchfork! :)
    >
    > Seriously, if you don't mind a commercial-ish solution, I suggest you have
    > a look at Acronis TrueImage
    > http://www.acronis.com
    > It could be just what you are looking for. Seems to do everything you
    > have mentioned ... and then some.

    I support that. Love it.
    Version 6 has a more intuitive interface than 7 and works fine.
    Save the image to slave HD.
    Save your data area to the slave HD with Windows Explorer.
    Then you are protected against both a virus attack and a HD crash.
    Wouldn't be without it.
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:00:41 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    >ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    >up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).

    Eh? How would you do a backup then? NTBackup does backup running
    systems. However it doesn't backup open files. So you should shut as
    much down as possible before taking a backup.

    The big show-stopper is that it won't backup directly to CD.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    HillTop Guest

    > Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    > up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    > "use linux" options not welcome.
    > Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    > Where does this leave me?

    I got a removable HDD caddy from DickSmith ($35) and got
    a new HDD (160GB) $150 and just schedule a .BAT file (at 6pm everyday)
    that does a dos XCOPY command from drive C: to drive D: with flags
    that only copy files that have changed (eg xcopy /C/D/S/Y). Its fast and
    easy. Also means
    and I can purchase additional HDD for different days of week.. so I
    can have multiple backups.
    So why would you need to purchase special backup software then ?
    No worrys about fitting everything on the backup.
    HillTop, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:00:41 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    >Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    >contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    >As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    >something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    >I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    >ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    >up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    >Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    >"use linux" options not welcome.
    >Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    >Where does this leave me?

    Why is RAID not an option?

    How about a RAID card (pretty cheap these days), and a mobile rack.
    Set up the internal drive with a drive in the rack on RAID1. Then,
    assuming it's a good RAID card, just remove the rack each day, and pop
    in your backup one. The RAID will then automatically rebuild (assuming
    a half decent RAID card), and you'll walk away with a full
    up-to-the-second backup of your system.

    A (comparitively) cheap, automatic and reliable backup solution.
    Gurble, Jul 14, 2004
  9. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:56:07 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:00:41 +1200, in message
    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Im after a decent backup solution.
    >>
    >> Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    >> contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >>
    >> As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    >> something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >>
    >> I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    >> ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    >> up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >>
    >> Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >>
    >> "use linux" options not welcome.
    >> Raid is currently not an option.
    >>
    >> Where does this leave me?

    >Up the booai shooting pukekos with a pitchfork! :)
    >
    >Seriously, if you don't mind a commercial-ish solution, I suggest you have
    >a look at Acronis TrueImage
    >http://www.acronis.com
    >It could be just what you are looking for. Seems to do everything you
    >have mentioned ... and then some.

    DVD Ram the only way or a Removal HD..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 14, 2004
  10. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:59:09 +1200, "HillTop" <> wrote:

    >"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    >> Im after a decent backup solution.
    >>
    >> Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    >> contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >>
    >> As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    >> something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >>
    >> I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    >> ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    >> up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >>
    >> Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >>
    >> "use linux" options not welcome.
    >> Raid is currently not an option.
    >>
    >> Where does this leave me?

    >I got a removable HDD caddy from DickSmith ($35) and got
    >a new HDD (160GB) $150 and just schedule a .BAT file (at 6pm everyday)
    >that does a dos XCOPY command from drive C: to drive D: with flags
    >that only copy files that have changed (eg xcopy /C/D/S/Y). Its fast and
    >easy. Also means
    >and I can purchase additional HDD for different days of week.. so I
    >can have multiple backups.
    >So why would you need to purchase special backup software then ?
    >No worrys about fitting everything on the backup.

    So its allows for Spanning and Compression and its made for people that can't
    program a BAT File..

    Plus HD that are not used often can size up its been noted..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 14, 2004
  11. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    > up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    > "use linux" options not welcome.
    > Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    > Where does this leave me?

    For high volume stuff, tape is more usual, but a drive to handle that
    amount of data will probably cost 4 figures.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 14, 2004
  12. Wyn wrote:
    > As a mere beginner I know I'm risking sticking my neck out, but I
    > suppose that you have considered and rejected the incremental backup in
    > Nero 6. I haven't used it myself so I don't know if it would be
    > suitable.

    I cant say that I've tried the incremental backup with Nero 6, mostly as
    I dont have it, but I'm sure I can get a copy. :)

    > With a lot less to backup I have found that a second HDD to be the
    > answer using Karen's Replicator (also incremental). Have you considered
    > replacing your second 40 GB HDD with a biggy?

    yeah, I was thinking of getting a couple of 120GB drives, and using the
    two 40s for backups... I dont see my backups being more than 80GB for
    quite some time.

    > Personally I would
    > hesitate to use any RW disc of whatever kind with important material
    > when it has to be read and written to frequently.

    none of it is "important" data... just stuff that I'd rather not lose.
    The important stuff(~500MB) is burned to CD weekly, I figure that even
    if one CDR fails one of the others will be fine.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004
  13. Gurble wrote:
    > Why is RAID not an option?

    Im out of PCI slots, and the next major upgrade isnt for quite a while.

    > How about a RAID card (pretty cheap these days), and a mobile rack.
    > Set up the internal drive with a drive in the rack on RAID1. Then,
    > assuming it's a good RAID card, just remove the rack each day, and pop
    > in your backup one. The RAID will then automatically rebuild (assuming
    > a half decent RAID card), and you'll walk away with a full
    > up-to-the-second backup of your system.
    >
    > A (comparitively) cheap, automatic and reliable backup solution.

    True, I'll price it up, thanks.
    although Im out of slots., I can remove one the modem and replace with
    an external one.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:00:41 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    >Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    >contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    >As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    >something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    >I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    >ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    >up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    >Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    >"use linux" options not welcome.
    >Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    >Where does this leave me?

    Have you thought about making a NAS box Dave? Unless you need offsite
    backups NAS is a great way to back up, especially with gigabit
    networking (if you can afford it) The likes of E-Smith etc make good
    cheap NAS, don't need much in the way of expensive hardware... only
    modern stuff necessary is a mobo that supports large hdds.

    For backup software I've always been a fan of Novaback, not free but
    excellent software IMO... http://www.novastor.com

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jul 14, 2004
  15. KiwiBrian wrote:
    >>Seriously, if you don't mind a commercial-ish solution, I suggest you have
    >>a look at Acronis TrueImage
    >>http://www.acronis.com
    >>It could be just what you are looking for. Seems to do everything you
    >>have mentioned ... and then some.

    > I support that. Love it.

    Im downloading the 15 day trial at the moment... It looks like it covers
    all that I need.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  16. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:58:35 +1200, in message
    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >>>Seriously, if you don't mind a commercial-ish solution, I suggest you have
    >>>a look at Acronis TrueImage
    >>>http://www.acronis.com
    >>>It could be just what you are looking for. Seems to do everything you
    >>>have mentioned ... and then some.

    >> I support that. Love it.

    > Im downloading the 15 day trial at the moment... It looks like it covers
    > all that I need.

    If you would care to contact me off-list, I have another suggestion.
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Just say NO to decaffeinated coffee.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 15, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:49:27 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:58:35 +1200, in message
    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> I support that. Love it.

    >> Im downloading the 15 day trial at the moment... It looks like it covers
    >> all that I need.

    >If you would care to contact me off-list, I have another suggestion.

    Share it with the group!
    Gurble, Jul 15, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Im after a decent backup solution.
    >
    > Currently I borrow a friends DVDRW once a month and ghost the entire
    > contents of my Hdds to DVD.
    >
    > As I have ~60GB of stuff, this takes a while, so basically Im wanting
    > something that does full, incremental, and scheduled backups.
    >
    > I've played with the built in Windows backup software, and well, it's
    > ok, but nothing like what Im after. For a start, it doesnt allow backing
    > up of the system while it is running(From what I can tell anyway).
    >
    > Im using XP at the moment, with two 40GB Hdd, not raid
    >
    > "use linux" options not welcome.
    > Raid is currently not an option.
    >
    > Where does this leave me?

    Use linux.
    Dual boot to linux then have linux do an incremental backup
    of your Windows disks to spare disk(s).

    Anyhow whether you use Linux or not, instead of burning DVD
    you will find it a lot easier to backup to disk drives.
    And it is a simple matter to use 2 backup drives
    and not even bother with RAID. You store one of them off-site.
    Naturally you will want to put the extra drives in $15 drive containers
    so you can swap them all around easily.
    Harry, Jul 15, 2004
  19. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:06:45 +1200, in message
    Gurble wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:49:27 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:58:35 +1200, in message
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Im downloading the 15 day trial at the moment... It looks like it covers
    >>> all that I need.

    >>If you would care to contact me off-list, I have another suggestion.

    > Share it with the group!

    Peremptory demands like that are no way to get co-operation, Gurble.
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - Nothing is so simlpe that it can't get scwered up.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 15, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:29:50 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:06:45 +1200, in message
    >Gurble wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:49:27 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:58:35 +1200, in message

    >>>If you would care to contact me off-list, I have another suggestion.

    >> Share it with the group!

    >Peremptory demands like that are no way to get co-operation, Gurble.

    Hmm, you seem to have missed the virtual smiley, and the mistaken the
    tone - not intended to be a "demand", more of a "Go on, share it with
    the group!" rather than a "share it with the group, now!" type of
    tone...

    <sigh> that's the problem with written communication - no context...
    Gurble, Jul 15, 2004