    dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
    everything correctly.

    Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    Sir To You, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Sir To You

    Allistar Guest

    Sir To You wrote:

    > I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
    > music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
    > total.
    >
    > I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
    > software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
    > because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
    > items.
    >
    > Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
    > drive, not a folder on the drive.
    >
    > Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
    > dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
    > everything correctly.
    >
    > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    I use rsync for backups and it works fine, even over a network like the
    internet.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Jan 21, 2008

  3. Sir To You

    joe_90 Guest

    joe_90, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Sir To You

    geoff Guest

    Sir To You wrote:
    > I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
    > music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
    > total.
    >
    > I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
    > software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
    > because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
    > items.
    >
    > Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
    > drive, not a folder on the drive.
    >
    > Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
    > dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
    > everything correctly.
    >
    > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    www.ntius.com

    geoff

    geoff, Jan 22, 2008
  5. Sir To You

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-21, Sir To You <> wrote:
    > I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
    > music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
    > total.
    >
    > I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
    > software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
    > because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
    > items.
    >
    > Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
    > drive, not a folder on the drive.
    >
    > Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
    > dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
    > everything correctly.
    >
    > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    Cobian

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    as a suggestion

    Gordon, Jan 22, 2008
  6. http://www.2brightsparks.com/

    Syncback from this site is both free and flexible, particularly if you
    are backing up to a hard drive or portable HD or flash drive.

    I have reservations about it backing up to DVD.

    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jan 22, 2008
  7. Sir To You

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:21:41 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    >http://www.2brightsparks.com/
    >
    >Syncback from this site is both free and flexible, particularly if you
    >are backing up to a hard drive or portable HD or flash drive.
    >
    >I have reservations about it backing up to DVD.
    >
    >Lindsay Rollo
    >Wellington, New Zealand

    Backing up to DVD RAM is the method used in the Medical profession as its the best there is, but
    with the Boxed DVD RAM Disks, ie double sided..

    , Jan 22, 2008
  8. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 22, 12:48 pm, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Sir To You wrote:
    > > I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
    > > music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
    > > total.

    > > I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
    > > software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
    > > because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
    > > items.

    > > Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only  backup the whole
    > > drive, not a folder on the drive.

    > > Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
    > > dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
    > > everything correctly.

    > > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    > I use rsync for backups and it works fine, even over a network like the
    > internet.
    > --
    > A.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks, this looks very good.

    Sir To You, Jan 22, 2008
  9. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 22, 1:08 pm, joe_90 <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com>
    wrote:
    > Sir To You wrote:
    > > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    > Cobian?
    >
    > http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    Thanks, leaning to rsync at this stage.

    Sir To You, Jan 22, 2008
  10. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 22, 7:21 pm, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > http://www.2brightsparks.com/
    >
    > Syncback from this site is both free and flexible, particularly if you
    > are backing up to a hard drive or portable HD or flash drive.
    >
    > I have reservations about it backing up to DVD.
    >
    > Lindsay Rollo
    > Wellington, New Zealand

    Will take a look - I would never backup to dvd. Would be 50 DVD's per
    backup he he.

    Sir To You, Jan 22, 2008
  11. Sir To You

    thingy Guest

    Sir To You wrote:
    > I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
    > music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
    > total.
    >
    > I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
    > software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
    > because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
    > items.
    >
    > Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
    > drive, not a folder on the drive.
    >
    > Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
    > dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
    > everything correctly.
    >
    > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

    http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&type_of_search=soft&words=backup

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jan 22, 2008