    works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    new files when I re-run the backup.

    TIA.

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007

  2. darkknight

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    >but having some problems.
    >
    >I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    >window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    >run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    >when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    >external hard drive.
    >
    >Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    >- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    >
    >Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    >works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    >new files when I re-run the backup.

    This was recommended either here or in a mag a while back, it's free.

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    Craig Shore, Sep 8, 2007

  3. darkknight

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-08, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    >>but having some problems.
    >>
    >>I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    >>window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    >>run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    >>when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    >>external hard drive.
    >>
    >>Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    >>- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    >>
    >>Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    >>works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    >>new files when I re-run the backup.

    > This was recommended either here or in a mag a while back, it's free.
    >
    > http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    Unison is also worth a look.

    http://www.nongas.com likewaise.

    Gordon, Sep 8, 2007
  4. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:46:13 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    >>but having some problems.
    >>
    >>I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    >>window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    >>run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    >>when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    >>external hard drive.
    >>
    >>Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    >>- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    >>
    >>Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    >>works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    >>new files when I re-run the backup.

    >This was recommended either here or in a mag a while back, it's free.
    >
    >http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

    Thanks, it seems quite nice but doesn't let me exclude files based on
    attributes and can't easily copy open files - not bad for free
    though.

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007
  5. darkknight

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, darkknight.21
    @gmail.com says...

    > I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    > but having some problems.
    >
    > I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    > window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    > run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    > when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    > external hard drive.
    >
    > Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    > - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    >
    > Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    > works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    > new files when I re-run the backup.

    What version of windows are you running?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 8, 2007
  6. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:14:41 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>, darkknight.21
    >@gmail.com says...
    >>
    >> I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    >> but having some problems.
    >>
    >> I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    >> window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    >> run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    >> when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    >> external hard drive.
    >>
    >> Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    >> - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    >> works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    >> new files when I re-run the backup.

    >What version of windows are you running?

    XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
    might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
    in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
    don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
    backup software, you can't use your backup.

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007
  7. darkknight

    impossible Guest

    "darkknight" <> wrote in message

    > I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    > but having some problems.
    >
    > I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    > window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    > run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    > when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    > external hard drive.
    >
    > Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    > - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    >
    > Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    > works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    > new files when I re-run the backup.

    Seagate's DiskWizard will create a backup disk image for you. Ity's based on
    the Acronis engine, and it's free.

    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    impossible, Sep 8, 2007
  8. darkknight

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, darkknight.21
    @gmail.com says...
    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:14:41 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, darkknight.21
    > >@gmail.com says...
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
    > >> but having some problems.
    > >>
    > >> I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
    > >> window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
    > >> run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
    > >> when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
    > >> external hard drive.
    > >>
    > >> Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
    > >> - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    > >> works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
    > >> new files when I re-run the backup.

    > >What version of windows are you running?

    > XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
    > might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
    > in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
    > don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
    > backup software, you can't use your backup.

    It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time :)

    ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
    that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.

    I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
    Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
    have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.

    The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
    MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
    boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
    complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
    better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
    You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
    do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 9, 2007
  9. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:30:57 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>, darkknight.21
    >@gmail.com says...
    >> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:14:41 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>, darkknight.21
    >> >@gmail.com says...

    >> >What version of windows are you running?

    >> XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
    >> might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
    >> in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
    >> don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
    >> backup software, you can't use your backup.

    >It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time :)
    >
    >ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
    >that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.
    >
    >I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
    >Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
    >have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.
    >
    >The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
    >MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
    >boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
    >complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
    >better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
    >You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
    >do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

    I have Norton Ghost version 9 (aka V 2004) but never installed it and
    not sure I want to. Without installing it I can't tell whether I can
    "restore" selected files and folders from the backup - if not, it's
    not what I want.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,117621/article.html

    darkknight, Sep 9, 2007
  10. darkknight

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, darkknight.21
    @gmail.com says...
    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:30:57 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, darkknight.21
    > >@gmail.com says...

    > >> XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
    > >> might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
    > >> in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
    > >> don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
    > >> backup software, you can't use your backup.

    > >It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time :)
    > >
    > >ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
    > >that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.
    > >
    > >I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
    > >Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
    > >have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.
    > >
    > >The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
    > >MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
    > >boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
    > >complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
    > >better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
    > >You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
    > >do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

    > I have Norton Ghost version 9 (aka V 2004) but never installed it and
    > not sure I want to. Without installing it I can't tell whether I can
    > "restore" selected files and folders from the backup - if not, it's
    > not what I want.
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,117621/article.html

    Dunno, not used it for a few years, but I'd guess it can do file
    restores (dig in and open an image to see files etc).

    Imaging s/w is best tried out at OS install time - so if a test restore
    fails, you've not lost much.

    Unfortunately, if you're way down the track, then you still need to test
    a restore (just as you need to test file restores). The consequences of
    an image restore failure though... hmmm... :( But you *do* have to test
    it. No point in makin' 'em otherwise. Good luck :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 9, 2007
  11. darkknight

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-08, darkknight <> wrote:
    [snip]

    > Thanks, it seems quite nice but doesn't let me exclude files based on
    > attributes and can't easily copy open files - not bad for free
    > though.

    Is not the problem of copying open files created by MS windows

    Gordon, Sep 9, 2007
  12. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On 9 Sep 2007 05:12:44 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2007-09-08, darkknight <> wrote:
    >[snip]
    >>
    >> Thanks, it seems quite nice but doesn't let me exclude files based on
    >> attributes and can't easily copy open files - not bad for free
    >> though.

    >Is not the problem of copying open files created by MS windows

    The pro versions of backup software can usually copy open files. I'm
    used to Windows ntbackup being able to do it.

    I don't know exactly what the problem is but if an application is in
    the process of changing a file, the operating system would have to
    make a copy to provide for "readers" before allowing "writer" access
    to the file - I guess Windows doesn't do this but I really don't know
    anything about it. I wonder how the pro versions handle files that
    are in an "incomplete" state - I would have thought they'd have to
    skip locked files.

    darkknight, Sep 9, 2007
  13. In message <>, darkknight wrote:

    > On 9 Sep 2007 05:12:44 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2007-09-08, darkknight <> wrote:
    >>[snip]
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, it seems quite nice but doesn't let me exclude files based on
    >>> attributes and can't easily copy open files - not bad for free
    >>> though.

    >>Is not the problem of copying open files created by MS windows

    > The pro versions of backup software can usually copy open files.

    Why is this considered a "pro" (i.e. extra-cost) feature?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 9, 2007
  14. darkknight

    Petrushka Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight wrote:
    > Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
    > works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or new
    > files when I re-run the backup.
    >
    > TIA.

    I've always had good luck with Abakt (http://www.xs4all.nl/~edienske/
    abakt/index.html) -- at least I've always had good luck with it. Plays
    nice with 7-zip and networked drives, decent filtering options, and it's
    even GPL software. I haven't tried the new Python version though.

    Petrushka, Sep 9, 2007
  15. darkknight

    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:30:57 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, darkknight.21
    >>@gmail.com says...

    >>> XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
    >>> might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
    >>> in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
    >>> don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
    >>> backup software, you can't use your backup.

    >>It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time :)
    >>
    >>ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
    >>that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.
    >>
    >>I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
    >>Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
    >>have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.
    >>
    >>The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
    >>MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
    >>boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
    >>complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
    >>better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
    >>You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
    >>do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

    > I have Norton Ghost version 9 (aka V 2004) but never installed it and
    > not sure I want to. Without installing it I can't tell whether I can
    > "restore" selected files and folders from the backup - if not, it's
    > not what I want.
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,117621/article.html

    Either Norton Gost 12 or Acronis TrueImage Home 10 will do what you want,
    and both are reasonably priced.

    impossible, Sep 9, 2007
  16. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:46:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, darkknight wrote:
    >
    >> On 9 Sep 2007 05:12:44 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 2007-09-08, darkknight <> wrote:
    >>>[snip]

    >>>Is not the problem of copying open files created by MS windows

    >> The pro versions of backup software can usually copy open files.

    >Why is this considered a "pro" (i.e. extra-cost) feature?

    Because syncback pro and viceversa can do it (so they say) but
    syncback free, robocopy and cobian can't.

    darkknight, Sep 9, 2007
  17. In message <>, darkknight wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:46:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> The pro versions of backup software can usually copy open files.

    >>Why is this considered a "pro" (i.e. extra-cost) feature?

    > Because syncback pro and viceversa can do it (so they say) but
    > syncback free, robocopy and cobian can't.

    That's just restating the point I was questioning, without actually
    answering the question.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 9, 2007