    Windows XP Pro.

    It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy :)

    Thank you.

    al, Dec 18, 2003

  2. al

    pete Guest

    Novadisk www.novastor.com

    pete, Dec 18, 2003

  3. al

    Max Burke Guest

    > al scribbled:
    > Hi,
    > Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
    > Windows XP Pro.
    > It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy :)

    Included in XP:

    Backup Utility

    Found at

    Start
    All Programs
    Accessories
    System tools

    If it isn't installed it can be found on the XP CD in the
    \valueadd\Msft\NTBackup directory.

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Dec 18, 2003
  4. al

    Graymond Guest

    al wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
    > Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy :)
    >
    > Thank you.

    Try Karens Replicator ....
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    G.

    Graymond, Dec 18, 2003
  5. al

    al Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:22:41 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
    wrote:

    >Included in XP:
    >
    >Backup Utility
    >
    >Found at
    >
    >Start
    >All Programs
    >Accessories
    >System tools
    >
    >If it isn't installed it can be found on the XP CD in the
    >\valueadd\Msft\NTBackup directory.

    Saw that.

    Question. If my C: drive is stuffed, how do I retrieve my backup in
    another HD?

    Thanks

    al, Dec 19, 2003
  6. al

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:51:38 +1300, al <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
    >Windows XP Pro.
    >
    >It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy :)
    >
    >Thank you.

    If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
    will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
    scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
    individual files/folders, and works while windows is running. Desktop
    version is around $140 purchased online and I've restored my XP box
    from a network based image on 2 or 3 occasions perfectly. I have a
    'baseline' backup on Monday morning and then incrementals every 4
    hours so I'd be pretty unfortunate to lose stuff. Performance impact
    is negligable (I never notice it run) and I get a status email in my
    inbox whenever it runs.

    --
    DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

    R-Slicks, Dec 19, 2003
  7. al

    Ian Boag Guest

    www.handybackup.com

    Ian Boag, Dec 19, 2003
  8. al

    John Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:35:48 +1300, al <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:22:41 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Included in XP:
    >>
    >>Backup Utility

    Ive written a VB script for that tool if you wish to schedule jobs.
    IT runs a different job for each week of the month, you only have to
    schedule the job once...

    John, Dec 20, 2003
  9. al

    Max Burke Guest

    > John scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> Included in XP:
    >>> Backup Utility

    > Ive written a VB script for that tool if you wish to schedule jobs.
    > IT runs a different job for each week of the month, you only have to
    > schedule the job once...

    The scheduled tasks manager in XP will do that for you......

    Max Burke, Dec 20, 2003
  10. al

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:44:00 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
    wrote:

    >> John scribbled:

    >> Ive written a VB script for that tool if you wish to schedule jobs.
    >> IT runs a different job for each week of the month, you only have to
    >> schedule the job once...

    >The scheduled tasks manager in XP will do that for you......

    Yes, but the script can do other things, like run a backup using the
    unmanaged method, remind you to put the correct tape in *before* the
    backup, analyse the output and send the details to you only on
    failure, move backup reports to a safe place and rename them to
    something sensible. None of which can be done with the scheduling
    facility within the backup GUI, unless it's changed dramatically from
    Win2000.

    Sure, schedule the *batch job* via the scheduler. But that's not the
    point.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Dec 20, 2003
  11. al

    Max Burke Guest

    > Enkidu scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> John scribbled:

    >> Included in XP:
    >> Backup Utility

    >>> Ive written a VB script for that tool if you wish to schedule jobs.
    >>> IT runs a different job for each week of the month, you only have to
    >>> schedule the job once...

    >> The scheduled tasks manager in XP will do that for you......

    > Yes, but the script can do other things, like run a backup using the
    > unmanaged method, remind you to put the correct tape in *before* the
    > backup, analyse the output and send the details to you only on
    > failure, move backup reports to a safe place and rename them to
    > something sensible. None of which can be done with the scheduling
    > facility within the backup GUI, unless it's changed dramatically from
    > Win2000.
    > Sure, schedule the *batch job* via the scheduler. But that's not the
    > point.

    The OP was asking about backup from one HD to another HD....
    But if you're using a tape drive/CDR drive then sure a VB script, batch
    file, Windows script can do that for you..

    I have a daily schedule that does a system state backup, a daily incremental
    backup, a daily backup of IE and OE settings/profiles, and a system restore
    checkpoint...
    All these (except for the IE/OE backup) run in the background automatically
    without any intervention or prompting from me...
    I do my weekly backups myself but they could be automatic as well if I
    wanted them to be...

    Max Burke, Dec 20, 2003
  12. al

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:47:12 +1300, R-Slicks <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:51:38 +1300, al <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
    >>Windows XP Pro.
    >>
    >>It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy :)
    >>
    >>Thank you.

    >If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
    >will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
    >scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
    >individual files/folders, and works while windows is running.

    When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
    usage went up to 100%.

    Invisible, Dec 20, 2003
  13. al

    T.N.O. Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
    > usage went up to 100%.

    There is nothing wrong with 100% CPU usage... as long as it is a low
    priority.

    On my machine I have SETI usign 100% of the CPU most of the time, if I
    open a game, the game is set to a higher priority than SETI, so SETI
    "pauses" while I play.

    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  14. al

    Ian Boag Guest

    There is only one 100% sureifire backup that I know of

    Install a caddy. Buy at least TWO more HDDs. Once a week, use GHOST or
    equiv to clone the working drive on to a backup HDD. Take out backup
    HDD and store somewhere safe.

    Personally I do this with a Promise RAID card. The backup gets done
    automatically and every so often I swap out the removable drive.

    Not the cheapest solution but ....

    If your PC/HD toasts or walks, this means you have a drive that you
    can plug into another one and it will just go .....

    IB

    Ian Boag, Dec 21, 2003
  15. al

    Shannon Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:35:48 +1300, al <> wrote:

    >Question. If my C: drive is stuffed, how do I retrieve my backup in
    >another HD?

    In theory, you reinstall windows on a new HDD and then do a restore
    onto that.

    We've used it a lot to back-up data; but not whole working systems, so
    yeah.

    Shannon, Dec 21, 2003
  16. al

    Ian Boag Guest

    You reinstall Win and all your apps, then restore. If you're like me.
    restoring the apps would be a terrible mission. Find CDs, find keys
    and passwords for stuff bought/installed off the Net etc etc.

    See my earlier post for the cure. Clone your HD ......

    IB

    Shannon <-dot.com.invalid>

    Ian Boag, Dec 22, 2003
  17. al

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:03:26 +1300, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:47:12 +1300, R-Slicks <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:51:38 +1300, al <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
    >>>Windows XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>>It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy :)
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

    >>If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
    >>will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
    >>scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
    >>individual files/folders, and works while windows is running.

    >When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
    >usage went up to 100%.

    Really ? I never even noticed it on mine (Athlon XP2000+, 1Gb RAM) and
    it currently sits at a whopping 0% (mind you, it isn't actually doing
    anything right now). I don't notice when it runs either. You sure you
    didn't choose 'high compression' ? When I went to the product demo
    they specificaly said don't bother with high compression because it
    chews the CPU for no appreciable gain in compressed file size and go
    with the default which is pretty good anyway. My 'tests' certainly
    proved this and I stuck with the default from then on...

    R-Slicks, Dec 23, 2003
  18. al

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:25:19 +1300, R-Slicks <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:03:26 +1300, Invisible <>
    >wrote:

    >>>If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
    >>>will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
    >>>scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
    >>>individual files/folders, and works while windows is running.

    >>When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
    >>usage went up to 100%.
    >>

    >Really ? I never even noticed it on mine (Athlon XP2000+, 1Gb RAM) and
    >it currently sits at a whopping 0% (mind you, it isn't actually doing
    >anything right now). I don't notice when it runs either. You sure you
    >didn't choose 'high compression' ? When I went to the product demo
    >they specificaly said don't bother with high compression because it
    >chews the CPU for no appreciable gain in compressed file size and go
    >with the default which is pretty good anyway. My 'tests' certainly
    >proved this and I stuck with the default from then on...

    Mine was hitting 100% about 10 seconds after the desktop loaded :-( I had to set
    it to manual start in the services. Then when I started to backup, bang, 100%,
    and V2i not responding. I'll have another tinker & see if I can sort it out.

    Invisible, Dec 23, 2003
  19. [snip]

    [snip]

    You might want to consider Powerquest Datakeeper. I got this software free
    with Partition Magic but AFAIK it can be bought separately.

    Datakeeper runs continuously and has a number of options - I use it to back
    up nominated files/folders each time they are closed. The number of file
    generations and the target disk to back up to are all configurable. I used
    PM to reconfigure my (80 gig) drive into multiple partitions, one of which
    is used solely by DK. This completely automates file backup in an
    unobtrusive fashion and file restoration is easy. The only vulnerability is
    that the backed-up files are vulnerable to a total disk failure (because
    there is just one physical drive).

    --
    Bryan Souster - reply to bas01 at clear dot net dot nz
    For acronyms (IIRC, TIA etc) visit www.acronymfinder.com for the meanings.

    Bryan Souster, Dec 23, 2003