    schduele to backup specific files and folders and put the date in the
    filename?

    Thanks.
    Morgan Pugh, Feb 20, 2005

  2. Morgan Pugh

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:16:21 GMT, Morgan Pugh wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am looking for a tool similar (but more powerful) than the built in
    >Windows Backup tool in XPPro.
    >
    >Windows Backup backs everything up just as I would like but I want to
    >be able to use macro type shortcuts in the filename to include the
    >date. I can't find a way to do this with the built in backup utility.

    There are most like many utilities that manipulate env vars and date /
    times that can be put into a command line file name. I use envtime in
    cmd
    http://www.computing.net/faq/contentdos/datetime.html
    files for using perl to process logs and backup with cmd line winzip to
    filenames with dates and times.

    If that's not good enough XP cmd line has an env var called %DATE% and
    %TIME%, so does Win 2000.

    These can be put into the filename parameter.

    There are also lots of cmd line tutorials with date/time tips,
    www.google.com again.

    Read the MS online XP documentation.

    >Does anyone know of any backup software that will allow me to setup a
    >schduele to backup specific files and folders and put the date in the
    >filename?

    Not beyond expensive commercial apps, used at work. You could try
    www.google.com or a software library like
    http://tucows.com/backup95_default.html

    Me
    why?, Feb 20, 2005

  3. Morgan Pugh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Morgan Pugh" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:25:38 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | <snipped>
    |
    | >The *best* solution is to use the "Append" function of the backup. It
    keeps
    | >adding the new backup to the end of the existing file, and retains a
    catalog
    | >of the files in the backup. That catalog can be searched, and restores
    made
    | >of specific files based on the date backed up, just like you can do if
    the
    | >backups were each done in a separate file.
    | >
    | >The append option of course gives the user the option of appending *all*
    | >files, or only the new/changed files (since the last backup). Then the
    | >backup software takes care of keeping the dates straight, not the user or
    | >Windows file names.
    | >

    | Thanks for the help everyone. This is exactly the problem I have. The
    | reason I didn't use the Incremental option was because I couldn't be
    | bothered to read about it fully. I just wanted something that works
    | now and then look into other solutions at a later date.
    |
    | Again thanks for all your help.

    Good luck, whatever course you follow. At least you are *doing* backups. So
    many people bring me dead PCs and they've lost everything.
    Toolman Tim, Feb 21, 2005