Backup software

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Can anyone recommend reliable (and easy to use) backup software that will
    backup both to CD and to an external zip 750mb drive? I want something
    where I can select different backup setups (such as, one for frequently-used
    files), and I do *not* want it to be automatic because I want to select my
    own time for the procedure. It does not have to be free but should be
    fairly low-cost. I have been using Iomega "The Works" to back up to an
    internal 250mb drive. However, this will not work with the 750mb drive
    (have called Iomega, and there is no way around it); the program is older
    than 750 and does not even recognize that the drive exists. Their "new"
    software for the 750 drive is automatic and does not provide options for a
    tree for easy selection. ...and, yes, I do backup to CD when I want to
    backup all files on the computer, but the zip disks are a better option for
    me when I transport files back and forth to the office on a routine basis
    (stick one in a pocket, no problem with files being written with attributes
    reset to read-only, etc.). I do want to be able to set (and easily change)
    a selection of files to be backed up. I do not want to use drag-and-drop
    because I want to include a large number of files from within several
    folders.
    --
    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 16, 2004

  2. MaryL

    Lisa Guest

    What OS do you have? 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP? If it's one of the last
    three...just try ntbackup from the "Start", "Run" command.

    Lisa, Nov 16, 2004

  3. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Sorry...I should have included that information. I am using XP-Home
    Edition. Start>Run>ntbackup produced an error message of "Windows cannot
    find 'ntbackup.'"

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 16, 2004
  4. MaryL

    Lisa Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302894

    XP home is different.

    Put your XP CD in your drive then:
    Manually Install the Backup Utility
    To manually install Backup: 1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the
    following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard
    that installs Backup:
    CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
    2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

    Lisa, Nov 16, 2004
  5. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302894
    >
    > XP home is different.
    >
    > Put your XP CD in your drive then:
    > Manually Install the Backup Utility
    > To manually install Backup: 1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the
    > following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard
    > that installs Backup:
    > CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
    > 2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

    I don't have a separate XP CD. I only have the Restore CD from Compaq
    (which includes XP), and it created some problems the last time I used it.
    So, I would actually prefer to buy good standalone backup software, if I can
    find one at reasonable price that is easy to use.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 16, 2004
  6. MaryL

    Lisa Guest

    Put the CD in, cancel the autorun screen and then browse to the folder
    specified. The NT Backup program is a pretty good minimal version of a high
    end backup software.

    We can chat if you want...go to www.harveyitc.com and click on the live
    support link. I am a consultant, but don't charge for anything under 15
    minutes. If you wanted me to actually do the install and show you how to
    use it, I charge $15.00 per $15.00 minutes ( I use a remote support software
    that uninstalls itself after use). Should be 30 minutes or less to do this.

    Lisa, Nov 16, 2004
  7. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > Put the CD in, cancel the autorun screen and then browse to the folder
    > specified. The NT Backup program is a pretty good minimal version of a
    > high end backup software.
    >
    > We can chat if you want...go to www.harveyitc.com and click on the live
    > support link. I am a consultant, but don't charge for anything under 15
    > minutes. If you wanted me to actually do the install and show you how to
    > use it, I charge $15.00 per $15.00 minutes ( I use a remote support
    > software that uninstalls itself after use). Should be 30 minutes or less
    > to do this.

    Thanks very much. I'll try that this evening, and may even be in contact
    with you.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 16, 2004
  8. MaryL

    Scraggy Guest

    MaryL wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend reliable (and easy to use) backup software that
    > will backup both to CD and to an external zip 750mb drive? I want
    > something where I can select different backup setups (such as, one
    > for frequently-used files), and I do *not* want it to be automatic
    > because I want to select my own time for the procedure. It does not
    > have to be free but should be fairly low-cost. I have been using
    > Iomega "The Works" to back up to an internal 250mb drive. However,
    > this will not work with the 750mb drive (have called Iomega, and
    > there is no way around it); the program is older than 750 and does
    > not even recognize that the drive exists. Their "new" software for
    > the 750 drive is automatic and does not provide options for a tree
    > for easy selection. ...and, yes, I do backup to CD when I want to
    > backup all files on the computer, but the zip disks are a better
    > option for me when I transport files back and forth to the office on
    > a routine basis (stick one in a pocket, no problem with files being
    > written with attributes reset to read-only, etc.). I do want to be
    > able to set (and easily change) a selection of files to be backed up.
    > I do not want to use drag-and-drop because I want to include a large
    > number of files from within several folders.

    While I understand what you say you want, I use Datakeeper5(comes as a
    freebie with Partition Magic 8) this will back up on the fly to your zip
    drive and one or several partitions on your HD(s)(Not, however, a CD
    writer). The process is completely automated and as, once the initial backup
    is done, it is incremental and done 'on the fly' you can forget about the
    entire process.
    --
    The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
    arm bears. -- Chris Addison

    Scraggy, Nov 16, 2004
  9. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    > MaryL wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend reliable (and easy to use) backup software that
    >> will backup both to CD and to an external zip 750mb drive? I want
    >> something where I can select different backup setups (such as, one
    >> for frequently-used files), and I do *not* want it to be automatic
    >> because I want to select my own time for the procedure. It does not
    >> have to be free but should be fairly low-cost. I have been using
    >> Iomega "The Works" to back up to an internal 250mb drive. However,
    >> this will not work with the 750mb drive (have called Iomega, and
    >> there is no way around it); the program is older than 750 and does
    >> not even recognize that the drive exists. Their "new" software for
    >> the 750 drive is automatic and does not provide options for a tree
    >> for easy selection. ...and, yes, I do backup to CD when I want to
    >> backup all files on the computer, but the zip disks are a better
    >> option for me when I transport files back and forth to the office on
    >> a routine basis (stick one in a pocket, no problem with files being
    >> written with attributes reset to read-only, etc.). I do want to be
    >> able to set (and easily change) a selection of files to be backed up.
    >> I do not want to use drag-and-drop because I want to include a large
    >> number of files from within several folders.

    > While I understand what you say you want, I use Datakeeper5(comes as a
    > freebie with Partition Magic 8) this will back up on the fly to your zip
    > drive and one or several partitions on your HD(s)(Not, however, a CD
    > writer). The process is completely automated and as, once the initial
    > backup is done, it is incremental and done 'on the fly' you can forget
    > about the entire process.
    > --
    > The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
    > arm bears. -- Chris Addison

    How easy is it to select specific files and folders, and to later amend the
    list? One of the problems with the Iomega automatic backup software is that
    there is no way to select a group of folders. Each folder must be
    individually selected, then the process closes, then the user has to go back
    through the nesting of folders to locate the next one (I still like my old
    DOS type of nested folders -- directories, in "those days").

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 16, 2004
  10. MaryL

    Scraggy Guest

    MaryL wrote:
    > "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    >> MaryL wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend reliable (and easy to use) backup software that
    >>> will backup both to CD and to an external zip 750mb drive? I want
    >>> something where I can select different backup setups (such as, one
    >>> for frequently-used files), and I do *not* want it to be automatic
    >>> because I want to select my own time for the procedure. It does not
    >>> have to be free but should be fairly low-cost. I have been using
    >>> Iomega "The Works" to back up to an internal 250mb drive. However,
    >>> this will not work with the 750mb drive (have called Iomega, and
    >>> there is no way around it); the program is older than 750 and does
    >>> not even recognize that the drive exists. Their "new" software for
    >>> the 750 drive is automatic and does not provide options for a tree
    >>> for easy selection. ...and, yes, I do backup to CD when I want to
    >>> backup all files on the computer, but the zip disks are a better
    >>> option for me when I transport files back and forth to the office on
    >>> a routine basis (stick one in a pocket, no problem with files being
    >>> written with attributes reset to read-only, etc.). I do want to be
    >>> able to set (and easily change) a selection of files to be backed
    >>> up. I do not want to use drag-and-drop because I want to include a
    >>> large number of files from within several folders.

    >> While I understand what you say you want, I use Datakeeper5(comes as
    >> a freebie with Partition Magic 8) this will back up on the fly to
    >> your zip drive and one or several partitions on your HD(s)(Not,
    >> however, a CD writer). The process is completely automated and as,
    >> once the initial backup is done, it is incremental and done 'on the
    >> fly' you can forget about the entire process.
    >> --
    >> The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
    >> arm bears. -- Chris Addison
    >>

    > How easy is it to select specific files and folders, and to later
    > amend the list? One of the problems with the Iomega automatic backup
    > software is that there is no way to select a group of folders. Each
    > folder must be individually selected, then the process closes, then
    > the user has to go back through the nesting of folders to locate the
    > next one (I still like my old DOS type of nested folders --
    > directories, in "those days").
    > MaryL

    Stop the monitoring(icon is systray),tick the folder selection box(s) at
    will and restart monitoring. It's mostly idiot proof(even I can use it :-D )

    Scraggy, Nov 16, 2004
  11. MaryL

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Lisa and Mary - Just an FYI - Backup doesn't work directly with CD-RW.
    You can backup to disk and then copy it over, or you can try the following
    approach AT YOUR OWN RISK courtesy of Mr. Petrus in a posting in
    microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user way back
    in Aug of 2001. I haven't tried this, so I can't verify whether it works or
    not, but it has been reported to by several users:

    "Here is the trick for CDRW backups in Windows 2000:

    Go to [Add hardware]. Choose [Add/Troubleshoot a Device]. When it does not,
    add manually by choosing [Add a new device]. Select [No, I want to select
    hardware from a list]. Select hardware type as Network adapters. Choose
    Microsoft as the manufacturer and 'Microsoft Loopback Adapter' as the
    device.

    Once installed, right click the CDRW, select properties, then sharing, and
    enter a name for the device without any spaces in it. You may need to use
    your CDRW software (e.g., Adaptec DirectCD, etc.) to accomplish this.

    Then go to My Network Places and [Add Network Place] and define the CDRW as
    the device using exactly this format:

    \\mycomputername\nameofCDRWdrive

    Now when you use MS Backup, on the Backup tab, in the box at the bottom of
    the window that asks you to define the 'Backup media or file name': Do not
    select your CDRW but choose the network device you mapped by typing:

    \\mycomputername\nameofCDRWdrive\backupfilename.bkf "

    You might also want to look at this as an alternative. I'm NOT recommending
    it, since I don't know anything about its effectiveness/safety, and it costs
    (~$30?) and I don't normally recommend other than free stuff, but thought
    you might want to investigate it for your particular problem. It sounds
    pretty good, if it works as advertised. http://www.firestreamer.com/

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:C1nmd.29259$,
    Lisa <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Nov 16, 2004
  12. MaryL

    Lisa Guest

    Thanks. I would be interested in researching that more!

    She should be able to back up to her Zip no problem in Ntbackup though
    correct?

    >>> MaryL

    Lisa, Nov 16, 2004
  13. MaryL

    Borsaid Guest

    If you're looking for a versatile backup solution, I would recommend
    Norton Ghost 9.0. It is probably a little bit more costly than you're
    willing to comply with, however take a better judgement on why you're
    actually backing up to begin with. If you're backing up with intent to
    protect yourself from the "god-forbid" scenarios, then Norton is the way
    to go. New with 9.0, you are able to add new and changed files easily
    and quickly to your disc image while keeping a complete disc image
    compiled. Selectable file or directory restoration is available and
    complete system restore is a sinch and fail-safe. If you are backing up
    with the intent of restoring often (ie back and forth from home/office
    workstations) then ghost is not the best option for you.

    --
    --The Computer Doctors
    Serving Southern New England

    Borsaid, Nov 16, 2004
  14. MaryL

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Lisa - To be honest, I just don't know. The question's never come up
    before to me, and I don't have any anecdotal information about that either.
    IIRC, it asks for a location, and if you then browse to a CD-RW, you'll get
    an error. The same might apply to a Zip drive (or not? - I just don't know,
    since it's an entirely different class of device.). Try and see - no harm,
    no foul. :)

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:Frrmd.29339$,
    Lisa <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Nov 17, 2004
  15. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Borsaid" <%%> wrote in message
    > If you're looking for a versatile backup solution, I would recommend
    > Norton Ghost 9.0. It is probably a little bit more costly than you're
    > willing to comply with, however take a better judgement on why you're
    > actually backing up to begin with. If you're backing up with intent to
    > protect yourself from the "god-forbid" scenarios, then Norton is the way
    > to go. New with 9.0, you are able to add new and changed files easily and
    > quickly to your disc image while keeping a complete disc image compiled.
    > Selectable file or directory restoration is available and complete system
    > restore is a sinch and fail-safe. If you are backing up with the intent of
    > restoring often (ie back and forth from home/office workstations) then
    > ghost is not the best option for you.
    >
    > > --

    > --The Computer Doctors
    > Serving Southern New England
    > 401-816-0393
    > %% remove the %'s

    I already use Norton Ghost. I have used Ghost to periodically make a
    complete image and save it to me second internal hard drive. I think I
    should probably also copy it to CDs, but this as far as I have gotten so
    far. I didn't know about the change with 9.0, and that sounds very
    interesting -- it takes a long time to make a complete image, and one of the
    drawbacks was the lack of incremental capability with Ghost. FYI: The
    backup software I was asking about in my original message would be only for
    data files, and especially for some that I modify frequently. And, no, I
    don't expect to restore frequently -- I want true backup for "disasters"; I
    use drag-and-drop for folders and files that I want to frequently copy from
    one computer to another (from my destope to my laptop or to the office
    computer).

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 17, 2004
  16. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    BackupMyPC - I've used it for years. Originally it was from Veritas, I
    believe. My first experience with it came from tape backup drives from
    Seagate, Connor, Sony, etc. shipping with drive specific versions. But the
    universal version is both fairly inexpensive, and quite easy (at least to
    me) to use. Be sure to check their "supported devices" (second link) to be
    certain your hardware is going to work with it though:

    http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
    http://www.stompsoft.com/cgi-bin/test/compat.pl?bump

    Toolman Tim, Nov 17, 2004
  17. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You don't quite the the gist of "System Restore CD", do you? That CD from
    Compaq probably doesn't have XP setup files on it, since it is a custom
    programmed compressed image of the hard drive's initial setup. So please go
    advertise your services elsewhere.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  18. MaryL

    Lisa Guest

    Umm....depends on the system doesn't it? Never can tell until you try, as
    they seem to vary with almost every year and model.

    "probably doesn't have XP setup files on it". So probably means don't try?
    The majority these days do...not all I'm sure...but she's got a pretty good
    shot that they are there.

    Lisa, Nov 23, 2004