    (Vista, for example) OS?

    If so - What must I put in that other PC so it can read my existing DVD
    based backup and restore files to that other PC?

    El Drac, Jul 24, 2008

  2. I'm having a hard time understanding whether you're using NTBackup, or some
    proprietary Roxio program. If you're using NTBackup, there is a downloadable
    version that you can use to restore files that runs on Vista. (The Vista
    backup program is a completely new, image based, program).

    If you're using a Roxio program, you need to contact Roxio for details on
    how their backup and restore work across different platforms.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 24, 2008

  3. El Drac

    El Drac Guest

    Thank you.

    I am probably using Roxio since with MS Backup you can't backup to a DVD
    drive and I do so by opening Roxio's "Backup my PC"

    If I were using NTbackup, would I be able to identify a file in my hard
    drive that held the data that tracks my backups? What would that file be?

    Thanks again for your help

    El Drac, Jul 24, 2008
  4. "El Drac" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you.
    >
    > I am probably using Roxio since with MS Backup you can't backup to a DVD
    > drive and I do so by opening Roxio's "Backup my PC"
    >
    > If I were using NTbackup, would I be able to identify a file in my hard
    > drive that held the data that tracks my backups? What would that file be?
    >
    > Thanks again for your help
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having a hard time understanding whether you're using NTBackup, or
    >> some
    >> proprietary Roxio program. If you're using NTBackup, there is a
    >> downloadable
    >> version that you can use to restore files that runs on Vista. (The Vista
    >> backup program is a completely new, image based, program).
    >>
    >> If you're using a Roxio program, you need to contact Roxio for details on
    >> how their backup and restore work across different platforms.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >>

    >> "El Drac" <El > wrote in message
    >> >I back up regularly using MS Backup to DVD's via Roxio Backup.
    >> >
    >> > Can these backups be read by another PC that has MS Backup? With a
    >> > different
    >> > (Vista, for example) OS?
    >> >
    >> > If so - What must I put in that other PC so it can read my existing DVD
    >> > based backup and restore files to that other PC?

    "I am probably using Roxio". Probably?

    The backup program bundled with Roxio EMC is BackupMy PC. It doesn't work
    with Vista x64. If you have files you want to copy to Vista x64 from XP you
    can use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard and select the files you want.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 25, 2008
  5. El Drac

    El Drac Guest

    Thank you for the "Backup my PC" information. I'm glad to learn this and will
    keep it in mind for my regular backup.

    My intent now is to have a "permanent" "remote" readable copy of my image
    files (approx 60 GB at this point) that I can access from another computer in
    case I have a catastrophic failure on my present PC or eventually, when I
    replace it.

    Can you recommend the best way to do this?

    The idea of a backup where data is appended to a growing number of DVDs and
    a backup catalog keeps track of where to access any particular image seems
    ideal to me.

    El Drac, Jul 25, 2008
  6. "El Drac" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you for the "Backup my PC" information. I'm glad to learn this and
    > will
    > keep it in mind for my regular backup.
    >
    > My intent now is to have a "permanent" "remote" readable copy of my image
    > files (approx 60 GB at this point) that I can access from another computer
    > in
    > case I have a catastrophic failure on my present PC or eventually, when I
    > replace it.
    >
    > Can you recommend the best way to do this?
    >
    > The idea of a backup where data is appended to a growing number of DVDs
    > and
    > a backup catalog keeps track of where to access any particular image seems
    > ideal to me.

    I use Acronis True Image Home. It can make complete images or file backups,
    full and incremental. The file backup function allows browsing files and
    you restore individual files to another computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 25, 2008