    Allow me to make an image of my c: drive on an external drive and then
    restore it the next time all goes to hell.

    Thanks in advance
    joelpk, Mar 22, 2008

  2. joelpk

    meerkat Guest

    "joelpk" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am tired of having to rebuild my system from time to time.
    >
    > I want a simple program that needs to do only the following
    >
    > Allow me to make an image of my c: drive on an external drive and then
    > restore it the next time all goes to hell.

    Acronis True Image.
    http://eu.acronis.com/
    meerkat, Mar 22, 2008

  3. joelpk wrote:

    > I am tired of having to rebuild my system from time to time.

    Further, you should be looking into finding out *why* you have to do
    that.

    What is your reason? Accumulated viruses and/or spyware?

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 22, 2008
  4. joelpk

    joelpk Guest

    Usually the system runs slower and slower. I have virus protection,
    run spy removal software - never fixes the problem.
    Figure next time it happens I will rebuild the system with all the
    software I use and then "ghost" it. I have Carbonite to backup the
    data. That way at least I will not spend hours rebuilding the programs
    - just update

    joelpk, Mar 22, 2008
  5. joelpk wrote:

    > Usually the system runs slower and slower. I have virus protection,
    > run spy removal software - never fixes the problem.

    Heh. "Slower and slower" is the prime symptom for a zombied Windows PC
    likely sitting there quietly spewing and relaying spam to the world. Is
    it only slow when you are online?

    Do your (up-to-date) anti-virus app and unnamed anti-spyware apps ever
    find anything? Say they have "quarantined" something?

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    Try SuperAntiSpyware. Do you have a firewall?

    > Figure next time it happens I will rebuild the system with all the
    > software I use and then "ghost" it. I have Carbonite to backup the
    > data. That way at least I will not spend hours rebuilding the
    > programs - just update

    You are most likely just covering up a serious problem.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 22, 2008
  6. joelpk

    chuckcar Guest

    joelpk <> wrote in

    > Usually the system runs slower and slower. I have virus protection,
    > run spy removal software - never fixes the problem.
    > Figure next time it happens I will rebuild the system with all the
    > software I use and then "ghost" it. I have Carbonite to backup the
    > data. That way at least I will not spend hours rebuilding the programs
    > - just update

    You generally don't update anything other than windows itself - for a
    very good reason - only microsoft seems to put out patches as opposed to
    releasing software just when new features are added, leading to software
    that no longer works properly. You should also look into disabling your
    startup programs as they are the most likely cause of your slowdowns.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 22, 2008
  7. joelpk

    olfart Guest

    "joelpk" <> wrote in message
    >I am tired of having to rebuild my system from time to time.
    >
    > I want a simple program that needs to do only the following
    >
    > Allow me to make an image of my c: drive on an external drive and then
    > restore it the next time all goes to hell.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Google for Casper
    olfart, Mar 22, 2008
  8. joelpk

    Mo F Guest

    Norton Ghost or Acronis will do that for you. The latter is a lot faster
    than Norton and simpler too. Both will enable you to image the whole drive
    or partition with the OS or you can just replace individual files and
    folders.

    Mo F, Mar 22, 2008
  9. joelpk

    MaryL Guest

    "joelpk" <> wrote in message
    >I am tired of having to rebuild my system from time to time.
    >
    > I want a simple program that needs to do only the following
    >
    > Allow me to make an image of my c: drive on an external drive and then
    > restore it the next time all goes to hell.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I use Acronis True Image. Fortunately, I have never had to use it to
    restore, but it is easy to create the image and *should* work as you
    described.

    MaryL
    MaryL, Mar 23, 2008
  10. joelpk

    dadiOH Guest

    joelpk wrote:
    > I am tired of having to rebuild my system from time to time.
    >
    > I want a simple program that needs to do only the following
    >
    > Allow me to make an image of my c: drive on an external drive and
    > then restore it the next time all goes to hell.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    This is what I do. I think it is easy. I know it is effective.

    1. Two physical hard drives

    2. Create a primary, active (boot) partition on each of the same
    size. The size should be sufficient to contain all you want to
    install on that partition. For example...
    a) OS only
    b) OS plus programs
    In my case, I have OS + programs (LOTS) + a lot of other stuff on a
    7.82 GB partition which has 3.25 GB free.

    3. From Windows, just copy your C: drive to the backup. You can use
    any program to copy as long as it copies everything. I use Karen's
    Replicator. It is not necessary to make an "image" as the destination
    drive is already bootable.

    4. If your C: drive goes south and you need to restore it, all you
    need do is open your case and switch the drive cables. You will now
    boot from your backup drive which is now C: Now copy C: (formerly the
    back up drive) to your backup drive (formerly C:). You can now do one
    of two things...
    a) open case, switch drive cables again, reboot
    b) leave things as they are

    I particularly like Karen's Replicator because it can be set up to
    replicate file and folder deletions. That's good because if you have
    deleted things from a source drive which you previously replicated
    those deletions will also occur on the destination drive the next time
    you replicate the source drive to it.

    A very good program for disk management is Paragon Hard Disk Manager.
    It allows you to easily partition and format drives in any manner you
    wish, make "images" if you wish, boot manager, etc. Same price as
    Acronis and does much more.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/hdm/

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Mar 23, 2008
  11. joelpk

    Bob Vance Guest

    cant you just Open BIOS and change D drive to boot instead of opening your
    case and disabling the power to your original C drive..Bob

    Bob Vance, Mar 29, 2008